MyLifeForYou

Denied for K-1 After Waiting in AP for Two Years

71 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, C&AH said:

I'm wondering why it took 2 years for your K1 interview. Here is an article that might be helpful: https://mypathtocitizenship.com/wife-was-denied-k-1-visa-should-we-apply-for-cr-1-visa-after-getting-married/

Well first it wasn't me.

But second, it didn't take them 2 years for their K1 interview, they were in AP for 2 years post-interview, waiting for a response.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash.1101 said:

Did either of you inquire about your case over the course of the 2 years?  I know some people will sit back and let everything take its course, but 2 years is a long time.

Yes, we both did, via email and he went in person to the embassy. We have been told repeatedly that the case was still under review and they would get in touch with us if they needed anything. What I don't understand is why two years? If they didn't believe us from the get-go, why not just deny us straight out. Why wait so long and keep the file pending. I work for the government and our goal is to move cases and get them closed. Not sure why they would let this hang around for two years and then just deny. I have put in a request pursuant to FOIA and just hope I can glean the least bit of information. 

11 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

Well first it wasn't me.

But second, it didn't take them 2 years for their K1 interview, they were in AP for 2 years post-interview, waiting for a response.

Sorry. I quoted the wrong post. 

Here is an article that might be helpful. Read through carefully. It has some very good information.

https://mypathtocitizenship.com/wife-was-denied-k-1-visa-should-we-apply-for-cr-1-visa-after-getting-married/

Edited by C&AH

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
10 minutes ago, C&AH said:

Here is an article that might be helpful. Read through carefully. It has some very good information.

https://mypathtocitizenship.com/wife-was-denied-k-1-visa-should-we-apply-for-cr-1-visa-after-getting-married/

Thank you kindly for sharing this with us. I appreciate your time and advice. I look forward to reading this in depth.

26 minutes ago, MyLifeForYou said:

Yes, we both did, via email and he went in person to the embassy. We have been told repeatedly that the case was still under review and they would get in touch with us if they needed anything. What I don't understand is why two years? If they didn't believe us from the get-go, why not just deny us straight out. Why wait so long and keep the file pending. I work for the government and our goal is to move cases and get them closed. Not sure why they would let this hang around for two years and then just deny. I have put in a request pursuant to FOIA and just hope I can glean the least bit of information. 

I don't know. All of this seems strange. Not like you or your fiance are lying or anything, but I don't know, I just get a real uneasiness when reading responses both present and past posts.

Them knowing things they shouldn't know, being denied 2 years prior to the anniversary of the interview (did they lose it? did it time out?), the denial starting with "Thank you for your e-mail" (assuming it's responding to an inquiry?), your fiances pretty spot on responses (I get "getting to know your other, but if he actually responded with the house was from the 1920's and it fell through, that just seems like an unnatural response. A more natural response would have been something like "Yeah she had wanted to flip an investment property and it didn't work out, she lost a lot from it".)

There's just some kind of weird formality here that almost seems to perfect on both your fiances end at the interview, and just how you approach everything in this thread and others, but something doesn't feel right.

Again, no offense to you, it could just be how words come across in text. I hope it all goes well and you find out the actual reason for denial.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country:
Timeline

I am going out on a limb and will say this, the denial was due to the age difference and she did not believe anything that was presented to her, all his answers were rehearsed and a prior K1 petition and deportation has something to do with it as well. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are a number of relevant factors the Op has mentioned or implied.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am 21 years older than my husband, I'm Catholic, he's Muslim. We didn't have any issues.It was back in 2012 before Trump and his Muslim ban. 

Oh and for clarification of prior posts of mine.

I didn't mean the case was perfect, because it's far from it. Red flags all over this ship.

I meant that I guess from how the OP was talking, it seemed from their point of view t he case should have been perfect.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, EmmNM said:

So how long should someone wait before just giving up on the k1 and get married? I would hate to wait 2 years in AP! At some point you just have to figure it will be denied if it sits that long.

How long did you wait in AP? How long did you wait before deciding to give up on the K! and get married?

When we were in AP we decided to wait 6 months then make plans to get married. Our AP lasted 14 weeks and our petition was returned and allowed to expire.  Its good to me to set a time frame on it because (at least for us anyway) it helped you have a small amount of control on your future instead of waiting for something else. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.