Zumbadaddy

After the K1 is Approved

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

We got our NOA1 Notice on 3/1/2018...we were planning our wedding for August 4th but we were told that is highly unlikely.  Now my fiance is very skeptical when we can actually plan our wedding for.  I was told by USCIS it might be approved between August-October.  If we are approved by October whats next...her medical exam and then her interview...?

How long does that take?

Is it safe to try to plan a wedding for January?

Is all this delay because of Trump?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

you should not plan any wedding ceremony under k-1, because there are no guarantees how long it will take to get a visa. Ours took 210 days to be approved.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

The golden rule for immigration is to never make purchase or plans that can't be changed until the visa is in your hands.

Right now, just about ever visa category is taking longer than usual processing times. Best to do light planning or do planning that can be moved at any given time. Do not set a date. Things are too unpredictable now.

We have even seen people go to an interview and get approved, buy plane tickets, then when the visa is delivered they discovery it has the wrong information on it.

We know it is an exiting time for you and her. But best to wait until the visa is physically in her hands than to try to speculate when it will arrive. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Zumbadaddy said:

We got our NOA1 Notice on 3/1/2018...we were planning our wedding for August 4th but we were told that is highly unlikely.  Now my fiance is very skeptical when we can actually plan our wedding for.  I was told by USCIS it might be approved between August-October.  If we are approved by October whats next...her medical exam and then her interview...?

How long does that take?

Depending on which embassy you are using the times are different. It could be another 2.5 months to get through nvc/medical/interview. Some embassies are busier and take longer!. You should definitely not make plans yet.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

Depending on which embassy you are using the times are different. It could be another 2.5 months to get through nvc/medical/interview. Some embassies are busier and take longer!. You should definitely not make plans yet.

Interesting... how do we find out which embassy?

She lives in Tokyo Japan. And said the US embassy is in Ropongi.

Edited by Zumbadaddy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 minute ago, Zumbadaddy said:

Interesting... how do we find out which embassy?

She lives in Tokyo Japan. And said the US embassy is in Ropongi.

You should have listed which embassy you are going to use on your k1 petition.  We are using the one in Kingston Jamaica. 

Timeline

She said yes its Ropongi... i didnt realize.

So my question really is how long is the interview and medical exam after the visa is approved? And after that is it stamped and were good or is there a waiting period after the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Zumbadaddy said:

So my question really is how long is the interview and medical exam after the visa is approved? And after that is it stamped and were good or is there a waiting period after the interview?

After your PETITION is approved, it goes to NVC which could take up to 90 days to be sent to the Embassy. From there, you can schedule the medica—depending on what they have open. It can take up to two weeks or longer (again, depending on them) for be medical arrive to the embassy. I don’t know about Ropingi but some embassies will schedule your interview or you schedule it yourself. No one can tell you exactly how long this process can take. It took my fiancé (husband now) close to 9 months to get here and there are still people from LAST June still waiting to approve for their PETITION. In short, do NOT plan anything until the visa is in hand.

1 hour ago, Zumbadaddy said:

K1 run in cycles.

Around 2011 they were taking this long as well,  I did one it took almost 11 months.

I did one in 2015 it was taking 7 to 14 days if you were at CSC and I was at TSC it took me 30 days

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zumbadaddy said:

It all depends on you for japan cases.

nvc can take 3-4 weeks (this changes all the time)

after embassy receives (usually about 7 days) then they will send you the packet3 (up to 10-12 days but sometimes way less) you need to schedule medical which depends on openings but you can usually easily find within 2 weeks. Interview will be scheduled by you the wait time varies from 1 to 2 months (but can be rescheduled if you have everything ready)

if you get approved on spot and nothing extra needed, they usually issue within the week.

fill your timeline so you can actually check your embassy’s timelines by going to other japan filers’ timelines.

it is at least 1.5 month after the noa2 but usually 2.5 month if you’re lucky (I was extremely lucky )

however putting money on anything for the wedding wouldnt be wise, because timelines for noa2 changes all the time.

Edited by Naes

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

What my chinese fiance and I are doing after she comes to the US via the K1, we will have a small ceremony within the 90 days to make it legal, then we are planning the bigger "mock" wedding later so her parents and everyone can come

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Zumbadaddy said:

How long does that take?

you were hoping for it for august of THIS year?

try next year.

We are planning for wedding ceremony july of next year (filed at beginning of May 2018) depending on when hes approved, he  (will hopefully) move well before that, we will do a courthouse marriage to get the ball rolling for AOS as well as stay within the 90 day period to GET married

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When we did my K1 the whole process took like 9 months. And that was in 2011. Trump was not even near D.C at that time.  Now everything takes like a year or more. The waiting times usually get longer and longer, not shorter. That is with everything.

Do not plan anything on stone until she has her K1 stamp on her passport. You can always do a quick civil ceremony at the courthouse (in US) so you can start with the AOS and then plan a bigger ceremony for family later on, etc. 

Remember when it comes to immigration, they do not accommodate your schedule, you do theirs.

8 hours ago, Zumbadaddy said:

How long does that take?

President Trump has caused NO DELAYS in processing Japanese K1 visas.  Let's quit blaming him for everything that is happening on this planet.  You should NEVER PLAN A WEDDING until your intended is in-country.  That's a hard and fast rule.

Edited by David & Zoila

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.