Scotty23

Anyone been pregnant and out of status?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I second the above user’s suggestion to look into a midwife! I wish I had gone with a midwife for a variety of reasons unrelated to cost (more of a thorough and personal experience from what I hear, more supportive, etc.). If it’s a cheaper alternative for you then even better. You might be interested in looking into a home birth with a midwife? Note that I’m not suggesting you don’t continue to search for the right health care insurance, as labor can bring with it unexpected circumstances and you may need to go to the hospital despite what you had planned (take it from someone who needed an emergency c-section). Best of luck to you and congratulations! You must be stressed but I assure you that anything you have to go through to get your baby here will be well worth it. You’re about to fall so in love. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, javadown2 said:

This should be the case, your husband more then likely can add you anytime (people get married all the time and don't have to wait for the enrollment dates). I was able to add my wife to mine after we got married, it was just a simple form..but it did ask for  a SSN, but again as long as your married this shouldn't be an issue, have your husband check with the HR department at work and figure out how to add you. 

There’s usually a short window for doing that after getting married. She’s been married for almost a year now. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Maybe try this, looks like it is exactly what you need.

https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/short-term-health-insurance

Is short term insurance for me?

Short Term insurance may be for you if you're:

• Unable to apply for Affordable Care Act (ACA), also called Obamacare, coverage because you missed Open Enrollment and you don't qualify for Special Enrollment
  • Waiting for your ACA coverage to start
  • Looking for coverage to bridge you to Medicare
  • Turning 26 and coming off your parent's insurance
  • Between jobs or waiting for benefits to begin at your new job
  • Healthy and under 65

For these situations and many others, Short Term health insurance, also called Temporary health insurance or Term health insurance, might be right for you.  It can fill that gap in coverage until you can choose a longer term solution.

• Get covered fast, as soon as the day after application
  • Pick your deductible amount from several options
  • Drop coverage with no penalty and receive a refund on unused premium if a more permanent health insurance option comes along
  • Access an extensive network of health care professionals, with 1 million physicians and other health care professionals and approximately 6,000 hospitals and other facilities2
  • Get generally lower premiums than with ACA health insurance plans
Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,  I just want to share my experience here in IL.  I got pregnant right away when I arrived.  I went to WIC office and they did not approved me for Medicaid because I was in K1 Visa.  The lady said I should just go back when my visa expired, but they gave me a temporary medical card for a month so I got checked under temporary medicare.  After my Visa expired I just went back then I got approved after a month,.  My suggestion is just go to your County Wic office.  Tell them about your situation and they will tell you what you can do. If you dont qualify for Medicaid they will tell you where can you get affordable Insurance. They are very helpful here in Illinois, and they do not discriminate, even you're not a citizen or resident.  And also, Ive been here for two years now but we've just submitted my AOS last December.  I just put the Medical that I had before I go here.. Now My AOS is ready to be scheduled for Interview.  Im not sure if they will ask for the Medical before the interview but I will let you know when I found out.

Filed: Timeline

Be aware that many temporary/short term health insurance is not ACA compliant, so many if not all don't have to cover preexisting conditions which pregnancy would fall under.

"Keep these short term insurance reminders in your long-term memory

With Short Term health insurance you are not buying an ACA health plan. That means you need to keep a few things in mind as you plan your coverage needs:

• ACA health plans are guaranteed issue, meaning you cannot be denied coverage based on preexisting conditions
  • Short Term insurance plans are not guaranteed issue, do not cover preexisting conditions, and you must answer a series of medical questions to apply for coverage
  • ACA health plans are required to cover 10 essential health benefits, including maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance abuse disorder services
  • Short Term insurance plans do not have coverage requirements, so plans vary in what they cover. Check your plan details carefully"

3 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

We didn’t know there was a 30 day limit. We were too excited about the marriage that we didn’t even think of insurance. Lol. But when it came to adding me they told us there was a 30 day limit.. his hr staff at work knew we got married but didn’t mention the 30 day thing.

It's very unfortunate that your husband didn't plan this out better.  I had my wife added to my Blue Shield/Blue Cross Health insurance plan two weeks before she even landed in the US.  She had no social security number.  But I did file for her within the given time frame required by Hawaii state law.  I wish you both the best and pray for a healthy and happy birth experience.  We have a little one now who is 14 months and it is the best thing that ever happened to us.  If I were in your shoes I would be on-line right now searching for some kind of coverage...Obama care?  It's actually required by law and you will be "fined" when you file your income taxes for failing to have health insurance.  God Bless you both, david

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

Does anyone have any links to any website where I could search for health insurance??

Depending on what your husband makes and that you file for AOS so that you are a resident you might be eligible for this http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmahs/clients/medicaid/pregnant/ 

I live in Michigan where it's called MOMS Medicaid and I got that when I was pregnant. I had my temporary green card at the time though.

09/2012 - Met in Tennessee
07/2014 - Became a couple
02/2015 - Got engaged

04/20/2015 - I-129F send
04/27/2015 - NOA1
06/02/2015 - NOA2
06/16/2015 - NVC received
06/16/2015 - Medical
06/17/2015 - Case number assigned
06/19/2015 - NVC left
06/22/2015 - Consulate received
06/24/2015 - Ceck list received
07/16/2015 - Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

He has insurance through his work, and apparently they said he had to add me 30 days after the marriage. Then in November they said he missed they date and had to wait til next year. They all said they couldn’t add me without a ssn but it’s good to know that they now can with the itin. I hoping to get a job as soon as I get the ead.. but I can’t get the ead without sending the paperwork. Because I dont have an ob yet, I can’t get the only vaccine I need to complete my medical forms. That’s why I’m lookign to get s doctor/ insurance/ self pay doctor ASAP! 

OP
Sorry if I didn't read all the way through all the pages so am not sure if am repeating what others are saying.

But if u got married July of last year, ur husband had the 30 days window to add u to his insurance, which brings you to August. 
It seems his company has REGULAR enrollment in November, which he missed again. Which means you have to wait until November of this year to be added to his insurance.

I understand your struggle of u can't get a job without EAD, you can't do EAD without AOS, you can't do AOS without medical which is how we're here.
Honestly, your best bet might be to shop for insurance online and pay for it yourself until November and I THINK the online place for insurance varies based on the state you live because here in California, we have Covered California "https://www.coveredca.com/"
Some of these places WILL ask for SSN but some might not. So just find something similar for ur state and make some calls?

I wish you luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, javadown2 said:

This should be the case, your husband more then likely can add you anytime (people get married all the time and don't have to wait for the enrollment dates). I was able to add my wife to mine after we got married, it was just a simple form..but it did ask for  a SSN, but again as long as your married this shouldn't be an issue, have your husband check with the HR department at work and figure out how to add you. 

you can't add a spouse years after you got married. There's a window for that too. They've been married too long already. 

later edit: sorry for the repeat post, i should've read the remainder of the thread first.

Edited by evapaula

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest to check with a health unit  available in your area. I did my updated vaccinations and just paid $20 instead of $350. 

also for the ssn, i got an ssn prior to my AOS application. I went to the social security office after i got married (i entered via k1 visa). They asked for documents like marriage license, your visa. After proper verification, they gave me my social security number. The card was mailed to me after a week.  Just try-I read in some states they do, some don't.

Edited by barbie.ness

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be having MMR vaccine during pregnancy. If a booster is needed it should be administered a couple of months before pregnancy. The only vaccinations recommended during pregnancy are flu & Tdap. 

19 minutes ago, barbie.ness said:

I suggest to check with a health unit  available in your area. I did my updated vaccinations and just paid $20 instead of $350. 

also for the ssn, i got an ssn prior to my AOS application. I went to the social security office after i got married (i entered via k1 visa). They asked for documents like marriage license, your visa. After proper verification, they gave me my social security number. The card was mailed to me after a week.  Just try-I read in some states they do, some don't.

K1 is different. They qualify for an SSN. People on ESTA don't. And people who are out of status definitely don't 

You can try this site  www.einsurance.com for insurance until you can get added to your husband's insurance during open enrollment in Nov. 

We used this for a few months for my husband when he arrived before I could get him on my insurance at work.  (We were married in 2014, he activated his green card in July 2015, but didn't actually move until Nov 2015, so we didn't qualify for a life changing event and I refused to pay for 4 months of insurance that he couldn't/wouldn't be using anyway.  :) 

Just make sure you read all of the fine print for pre-existing conditions, etc.

Good luck and congrats!

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello

first of all congratulations on your baby!

I was at the same situation as you, out of status, no ssn and no insurance it was stressful at first but we were able to buy a health plan through Health Market Place for myself and I applied for emergency medicaid which covered the birth and the most expensive part of pregnancy. 

That won’t affect your adjustment of status. 

Good luck! 

11 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

Hello, right now I have been in the middle of filing for AOS from esta based on my marriage to a us citizen. We recently found out I am pregnant. I went for my medical appointment last week - everything was fine but I have to go to an ob to get an MMR vaccine before I can get my medical paperwork back to send off my application. 

Problem is I have no insurance, my husband missed the cut off date to add me to his. I have also been out of status since August.

I just wondered if anyone here has been in the same or a similar situation and could tell me if there is a way for me to get insurance or am I best to pay out of pocket? 

I have called round a few places and got some prices- very pricey compared to our free healthcare back home in the uk lol. 

any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Ps. If you don’t have advice please don’t comment, stressed enough so I don’t need the negative comments or opinions from people who just come on here to critisize others. 

11 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

Hello, right now I have been in the middle of filing for AOS from esta based on my marriage to a us citizen. We recently found out I am pregnant. I went for my medical appointment last week - everything was fine but I have to go to an ob to get an MMR vaccine before I can get my medical paperwork back to send off my application. 

Problem is I have no insurance, my husband missed the cut off date to add me to his. I have also been out of status since August.

I just wondered if anyone here has been in the same or a similar situation and could tell me if there is a way for me to get insurance or am I best to pay out of pocket? 

I have called round a few places and got some prices- very pricey compared to our free healthcare back home in the uk lol. 

any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Ps. If you don’t have advice please don’t comment, stressed enough so I don’t need the negative comments or opinions from people who just come on here to critisize others. 

First of all, don’t get the MMR if you are pregnant. Tell the doctor you are pregnant and ask for a waiver. It is a live vaccine and you should not take it while pregnant. That should take care of your immediate problem. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.