TiklingGuy

Bringing wife's parents here in order to get her little sister here

51 posts in this topic

My wife who is a citizen now wants to get her little sister here who is under 18. My questions are, what is the best way? File for her parents, bring them here and then they file for her to come? Or does my wife just file directly for her little sister?

My biggest question, if we bring her parents here, how long do they have to be here to file for her little sister, which is there daughter? So it would be a permanent residence file for their underage child basically. Is there a time limit? or as soon as they cross the gate, can they file for her?

Thanks for any answers you could provide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

a USC bringing a brother/sister takes many years to get approved. currently something around 15+ years and that depends on the country. Through the parents would be much faster. Not an expert in that matter, but someelse can answer that part

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

who will stay with her sister? once they are here, they can file file for her but the process will take 2 years

also, do the parents want to come here to live permanently?

1 hour ago, TiklingGuy said:

My wife who is a citizen now wants to get her little sister here who is under 18. My questions are, what is the best way? File for her parents, bring them here and then they file for her to come? Or does my wife just file directly for her little sister?

My biggest question, if we bring her parents here, how long do they have to be here to file for her little sister, which is there daughter? So it would be a permanent residence file for their underage child basically. Is there a time limit? or as soon as they cross the gate, can they file for her?

They can file for her immediately but it will take about 2 years before she can come and they will have to show all the usual things sponsors need to (income etc). Do they want to live in the US? They can’t just come, file and leave, that won’t work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Only one needs to immigrate to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

41 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

They can file for her immediately but it will take about 2 years before she can come and they will have to show all the usual things sponsors need to (income etc). Do they want to live in the US? They can’t just come, file and leave, that won’t work.

Basically thats what we were thinking. Bringing her mother and father here, get them green cards and then they file for their daughter, which is my wifes little sister. They would leave and we would take care of her little sister. So you are saying that is not possible? 

32 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Only one needs to immigrate to the US.

If it was up to me, it would just be her mother for now so she could file for her daughter which is my wifes little sister.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

no, not possible, the sponsor just like your wife will have to prove to the government that the beneficiary won't become a public charge. he or she has to live here.

the green card is for family reunification, to live together in the US. they are responsible for their daughter, not her sister

your wife will be responsible for her parents

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yep you would be filing immigrant visa's, not cheap, not quick.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

27 minutes ago, aleful said:

no, not possible, the sponsor just like your wife will have to prove to the government that the beneficiary won't become a public charge. he or she has to live here.

the green card is for family reunification, to live together in the US. they are responsible for their daughter, not her sister

Gotcha. That sucks. By the time all of this would be put together her sister will be 18 anyways. So, if we file for her parents to come here, how long would it take for them to become US citizens?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, TiklingGuy said:

Take a look at the visa bulletin:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2018/visa-bulletin-for-may-2018.html

So for siblings (F4), you're looking at 14 year wait (or 20+ year if sibling is from Mexico or Philippines)

So yes you can bring her parents here faster, and then once they are PRs then the wait is another two years if she is still a minor. If not, that's more like 7 years.  

But there are a lot of potholes here. Plan it out with a lawyer if you go this route. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, aleful said:

this only matters if one were to use any public means-tested benefit. OP has not indicated this could be the case

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

Why not the parents come and stay until the younger sister gets the GC, meanwhile the OP and his wife are co-sponsoring the younger sister. If so, the younger sister won’t be public charge even after the parents leave for good. 

9 minutes ago, issea said:

Why not the parents come and stay until the younger sister gets the GC, meanwhile the OP and his wife are co-sponsoring the younger sister. If so, the younger sister won’t be public charge even after the parents leave for good. 

Lol if the parents have nothing to do but put their lives on hold for two years, sure that’s a good option 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.