Farrah Lawson

USCIS interview failed because of lack of documentation showing joint assets and liabilities

137 posts in this topic

Maybe there is also a slight cultural difference and misunderstanding here. In North America, financial co-mingling is considered proof of a couple's life together. Why? Well, that's just what the American government has decided and it's long-been considered normal for couples here to pool their financial resources together, especially once they're married. I can't speak for other parts of the world because I've only ever lived in North America. I absolutely don't blame the IO for not looking at the affidavits. Yes, it is listed as acceptable evidence. But to have that as your MAIN body of evidence is very weak. From the IO's perspective, all they see is papers with some stuff written on them. They don't get to actually meet the people who wrote the affidavits. So yes, affidavits are considered "weak" evidence. On the other hand, money can be tracked VERY easily. 

As for the taxes, the IRS said the foreign spouse does not need to file their OWN taxes. That is NOT the same as the US citizen excluding their foreign spouse from THEIR taxes. There is a procedure for putting a foreign non-resident spouse on taxes. The foreign spouse could have gotten an ITIN for the meantime.

There's also the issue of having already been married when the foreign spouse arrived as a tourist. There's nothing technically ILLEGAL about him staying to adjust status. However the IO saw that the couple did not pursue the CR1 spousal visa and was much more strict about the provided evidence because it looks VERY iffy to them. 

13 minutes ago, Farrah Lawson said:

We went to the bank for joint accounts ownership thing, they saw on the passport the admission stamp as visitor (non-immigrant) and it didn't help. That was before submitting the paperwork. We told them that we needed joint accounts ownership (after reading online about AOS) and they asked for SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name. We told them that this was a catch 22 as we would not get those without having joint bank accounts ownership. They apologized and said that that was the policy. We did not look for other banks to check their policies. My medical condition doesn't really let me run too much.

So we sent our AOS package (concurrent filing) without joint bank accounts, no lease and taxes filed on my name alone as per IRS instructions received over the phone. We did call USCIS and IRS before doing that as we wanted to do everything that is required officially.

Now, after filing and after the interview, how can we prove the official US address to a bank or any other institution? With the copies of the USCIS forms submitted where we have the physical address and the mailing address? They are just photocopies without any stamp or authorized USCIS signatures... With the Forms I-797C, Notice of Action?

How can we make the bank accept those? We just called the bank and they confirmed that a SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name are required. We can have utility bills on my name only. We didn't say anything about having copies of the USCIS forms submitted and  Forms I-797C, Notice of Action.

We also looked for leases and rental agreements, made phone calls... They would not put my spouse's name on the lease until we have something issued by the US Government such as SSN, EAD, etc. 

Thank you for you assistance with this matter. We are grateful and appreciate all the advice received from all the VJ members here.Took notes and trying to fix things now. So far we get the same answers (from the bank and about leases).

Out of curiosity, what utility bills do you have since you’re living in a hotel? Utilities are generally considered water, trash, gas, and electricity. Things like cable or cellphone don’t count.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Farrah Lawson said:

We told them that we needed joint accounts ownership (after reading online about AOS) and they asked for SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name. We told them that this was a catch 22 as we would not get those without having joint bank accounts ownership. They apologized and said that that was the policy. We did not look for other banks to check their policies. My medical condition doesn't really let me run too much.

Understandable you  may not have been as mobile getting around---but yeah, every bank has their own policies regarding opening accounts.  I adjusted status after crossing on a tourist visa and getting married as well and was able to open up a joint account with my husband at Chase (without anything other than my Canadian passport and marriage license showing my new name as ID).  May want to check there and try your luck.

So we sent our AOS package (concurrent filing) without joint bank accounts, no lease and taxes filed on my name alone as per IRS instructions received over the phone. We did call USCIS and IRS before doing that as we wanted to do everything that is required officially.

If the person you spoke to on the phone was just one of the regular customer service people at USCIS, they are notorious for giving out wrong information.

Others, including myself, have already noted that the apparent information you received from the IRS was either misunderstood or not properly communicated.

Now, after filing and after the interview, how can we prove the official US address to a bank or any other institution? With the copies of the USCIS forms submitted where we have the physical address and the mailing address? They are just photocopies without any stamp or authorized USCIS signatures... With the Forms I-797C, Notice of Action?

How can we make the bank accept those? We just called the bank and they confirmed that a SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name are required. We can have utility bills on my name only.

Three ways to solve this:

1) Continue to shop around with different banks, and/or,

2) Add your spouse to the utility bills as an authorized contact (different than being co-owner of the account), and/or

3) Add your spouse's name as beneficiary on your bank account (this is slightly different than adding them as a joint-owner of the account, not all banks allow this, however, again you have to shop around).

We also looked for leases and rental agreements, made phone calls... They would not put my spouse's name on the lease until we have something issued by the US Government such as SSN, EAD, etc. 

Some landlords are finicky with this, yes, because they want to make sure they are renting to people with good credit, and need a way of checking that credit.

However, they WILL rent to you, since you obviously have the government ID they are looking for.  She doesn't HAVE to be on the lease---provided you have other strong evidence.  That's the part that's key---OTHER strong evidence.  

I've been living in this country for almost 14 years now and I've never been added to the lease.   Not being on the lease during my AOS/ROC stage was a non-issue because we had already provided adequate amounts of proof in other areas.  If you don't  have much to show, or didn't submit much with your package in the first place, then yes they will ask for further documentation such as both names on a lease.

You have to understand that an IO doesn't being the interview *looking* to deny you---they want to approve you, but they rely on you to give them the reasons why they should.  That's where having a strong showing of proof at the APPLICATION stage is paramount, not just the INTERVIEW stage.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Farrah Lawson said:

gregcrs2, we met outside of the US 2 years ago. I have a place in Europe. I do not own property in the US any longer. We stay at the hotel near a hospital due to my medical condition and between family members. There are many houses where we are always welcome together with our dog.

I sold my house, my cars, my watercraft, my motorcycle. Everything else is in storage units in different states.

There is no need to get a lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence since we have so many family members that we stay at and they let us use their cars as well.

I will not buy a house nor cars just to please some USCIS worker. I made a decision long time ago about not having properties in this country anymore. It is my right and I will not reverse that because USCIS might like it.

1 hour ago, Ash.1101 said:

I don’t think they’ll care if he looses his LPR status.

Spouse came with OP to do medical, spouse realized visa is only good for 6 months, spouse applies for AOS simply to stay. Once the medical is done, they’re out of the US.

OP - do you truly intend on staying in the US after your treatment or returning to Europe?  Don't know about your timeline, but I'd be concerned about the implications the denied AOS could have on spouse potentially accumulating overstay days leading to a ban/unintended consequences should you move back to Europe.  Makes it all the more important to submit a strong AOS reapplication. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Going through said:

You have to understand that an IO doesn't being the interview *looking* to deny you---they want to approve you

They're not looking to deny you, but I believe their policy is that they have to start their assessment from a neutral or even negative assumption, i.e. that your marriage might not be bona fide.  You need to overcome that assumption by presenting strong evidence.  It's not that the officer is particularly mean.  They're just following their instructions. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, RLA said:

They're not looking to deny you, but I believe their policy is that they have to start their assessment from a neutral or even negative assumption, i.e. that your marriage might not be bona fide.  You need to overcome that assumption by presenting strong evidence.  It's not that the officer is particularly mean.  They're just following their instructions. 

I think I covered that part where strong evidence is needed (you only quoted  part of the first sentence of what I said.)  :) 

17 minutes ago, Going through said:

You have to understand that an IO doesn't being the interview *looking* to deny you---they want to approve you, but they rely on you to give them the reasons why they should.  That's where having a strong showing of proof at the APPLICATION stage is paramount, not just the INTERVIEW stage.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

It's also rather concerning that OP is not taking advice that's being given on here. Immigration is an EXTREMELY and FIERCELY hot topic in the US right now. It doesn't matter if one agrees with the way the current administration is handling immigration right now. What does matter is that they've thrust the issue into the forefront and even citizens who do or did not know anything about immigration are talking about it. It has everyone spooked and for good reason. The immigration agencies are not here to play. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Going through said:

I think I covered that part where strong evidence is needed (you only quoted  part of the first sentence of what I said.)  :)

I guess so, and I don't really have anything to add to this recommendation.  I just thought it worthwhile to rephrase it a bit to make it as clear as possible that this is USCIS policy.  OP was not unlucky with her IO, it went as you'd have to expect. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Farrah Lawson said:

We went to the bank for joint accounts ownership thing, they saw on the passport the admission stamp as visitor (non-immigrant) and it didn't help. That was before submitting the paperwork. We told them that we needed joint accounts ownership (after reading online about AOS) and they asked for SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name. We told them that this was a catch 22 as we would not get those without having joint bank accounts ownership. They apologized and said that that was the policy. We did not look for other banks to check their policies. My medical condition doesn't really let me run too much.

How can we make the bank accept those? We just called the bank and they confirmed that a SSN and utility bills on my spouse's name are required. We can have utility bills on my name only. We didn't say anything about having copies of the USCIS forms submitted and  Forms I-797C, Notice of Action.

Thank you for you assistance with this matter. We are grateful and appreciate all the advice received from all the VJ members here.Took notes and trying to fix things now. So far we get the same answers (from the bank and about leases).

This is very strange. I was able to get onto our lease without a SSN. When I told the leasing office that I didn't have a SSN at that time because I was waiting for it, they said it was fine. They only needed one SSN - my husbands. That was even before we got married. All they wanted was an ID.

First I would get an apartment/lease and then you can go to the bank. When I opened up my account I was surprised that I didn't have to present a SSN. I did need to show proof of an official address though.

1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

Ya know what's funny? I'm actually entertaining myself with this thread by seeing how many pages it reaches before it is locked.:pop:

That is how far removed I am from giving further advice to the OP.

I was just thinking pretty much the same thing when I check back every 30 minutes now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.