Mano

Filled 2017 Tax Returns as Single While IR1 Visa in Process

96 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, Mano said:

Last week i have Filled 2017 Tax Returns as Single While IR1 visa in Process. Last year i also have filed as single and NVC has no issue with it. We are going to submit i-864 at US embassy my question is that is there can be any issue regarding this? If we must have to amend that tax returns as married then how much time it takes??

Please Help!!!

Technically incorretct. , if officer notice  that mistake, then you will have a issue. Since you were married in 2016, you must file as Married. They also know how to file if your spouse have no SSN, follow ITIN path, YOu need to amend those returns I think. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jatinpatel027 said:

Technically incorretct. , if officer notice  that mistake, then you will have a issue. Since you were married in 2016, you must file as Married. They also know how to file if your spouse have no SSN, follow ITIN path, YOu need to amend those returns I think. 

Tax accountant just said u have to wait for ur refunds that may comes in Three weeks then u can amend ur tax return and amended return also can take twelve weeks to come :/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mano said:

Tax accountant just said u have to wait for ur refunds that may comes in Three weeks then u can amend ur tax return and amended return also can take twelve weeks to come :/

also since 15 April has not passed yet, you can use 2016 as most recent for now to start your NVC process. You can submit 2017 tax return(corrected one) at interview if you get interview date after 15 April. (my opinion)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife and I were in the same predicament when she was filling her 2016 taxes. After talking to a bunch of IRS reps the answer we finally got was you should put it down as "married but filling separately" As far as the spouse SSN section we left it blank. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

<--- Accountant since 2000.

As most people have already mentioned, yes you can either file MFJ, MFS or HOH (if you have dependents). However, since spouse does not have an ITIN or a SSN, the return must be filed paper return. Which means it just needs to be mailed as it will not be able to efile without an SSN or ITIN. You can certainly file an amendment, however, according to IRS, If you are filing an amended tax return to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original tax refund before filing Form 1040X. Amended returns take up to 12 weeks to process. You can track the status of your amended tax return three weeks after you file with the IRS’s new tool called, ‘Where’s My Amended Return?’ The automated tool is available on IRS.gov and by phone at 866-464-2050. 

Good Luck!

ROC:

Filed: 2/22/17

VSC Received: 2/26/17

Check Cashed: 3/12/17

NOA1: 3/15/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, LonelyGringo21 said:

OK...here's an issue:  my wife has no SSN yet.  She also has no ITIN.  We have just been forwarded to the State Department, so she's "eligible" for a green card.

After answering some survey set, the IRS says this: "An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number cannot be issued because you appear to be eligible for a Social Security Number."

Does anybody have any insight?  I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks!

pth

In the area for spouse's Social Security Number, hand write "NRA" .

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

An incorrect tax return is not a reason for refusal in itself, but

1) Can be a factor in the CO's decision if the marriage is bona fide or not, and

2) Can cause the I-864 to not be accepted (which is required to issue the visa)

These are the most important reasons to amend the taxes before the interview imo......filing married joint or married separately with spouse named is definitely a piece of marriage evidence as compared to filing single.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

One possible option would be to just wait until your spouse gets to the states... Filing late is not a big deal as long as you are expecting a return. 

I've talked to a couple of itin acceptence agencies. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

One possible option would be to just wait until your spouse gets to the states... Filing late is not a big deal as long as you are expecting a return. 

I've talked to a couple of itin acceptence agencies. 

Means it would not be a issue if we submit as single at US ambassy??

51 minutes ago, Mano said:

Means it would not be a issue if we submit as single at US ambassy??

I am no expert..

But the CO isn't an IRS official. 

Their main goal is to make sure you have a viable income 125% of the federal poverty line. 

This is achieved by submitting paystubs, irs transcripts , employment letters, and W2s. 

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can file head of household(if you have a qualifying dependent that is NOT your spouse),married filing jointly, or married filing separately but NOT SINGLE.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

tax returns are just for income verification.

They don't care about status

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Timeline
20 minutes ago, etrangais said:

m really worried that sort of comments gave me bit hope but stress never comes to an end. i just went to accountant she said we can amend it after receiving refunds n it takes three weeks and amended return can take upto twelves week. I'm already spend much time to get w2. it can cause of lot more delay its about totally frustration :(

Timeline
19 minutes ago, etrangais said:

Are you sure about that?  Would you expect someone who is in a bona fide marriage to file taxes as a single individual?  I wouldn't....and I expect a CO wouldn't as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.