Beast7

Latest update on DACA and deal for family migration proposed by Trump

90 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

The reality is the tax payer ends up covering the costs.

Not really.

There is no free medicated aid for new immigrants.

And free medicated aid is only available in some states.

5 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

The reality is the tax payer ends up covering the costs.

How? If you sponsor someone you're technically giving the government assurance that those individuals don't become a public charge. If they do become a public charge then the government should go after the sponsors. This will make sponsors think twice before sponsoring anyone in the first place.

Requiring people to purchase insurance prior to the travel to the U.S. and maintaining it throughout their stay is another solution. 

Edited by Gamboli

As much as I think DACA is a good thing especially for those kids who were brought by their parents illegally at a very young age, I would much rather have the right to be able to bring my father to the US legally once I turn 21 and same with my wife’s parents when she naturalizes.

Manila CRBA & Passport Experience

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657133-usem-crba-experience/

IR-1/CR-1 Journey

USCIS

09/12/2017: I-130 package sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

09/18/2017: NOA1 Email

09/26/2017: NOA1 Hardcopy(Texas Service Center)

10/01/2017: Expedite Request Sent

11/18/2017: NOA2 Email

11/30/2017: NOA2 Hardcopy

12/27/2017: Checked receipt number on the USCIS website and they had just forwarded the case to NVC that day *shame*

NVC

01/03/2018: Case received at NVC

01/10/2018: Expedite request sent

01/11/2018: Email received from NVC expedite that inquiry is under review

01/16/2018: IIN and Case number issued

01/18/2018: Expedite approved and immediately forwarded to US Embassy Manila. CEAC says "In Transit"

Medical & Embassy

01/23/2018: Embassy Received case file. CEAC says "Ready"

01/23/2018: DS-260 completed

01/24/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 1

01/25/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 2

02/02/1018: USEM Interview "PASSED"

02/08/2018: Picked up VISA packet at 2GO Laoag

02/09/2018: CFO sticker... went to the seminar Nov. 29 2017 for passport renewal requirement to change to husbands surname

I sure hope they do away with DACA instead of taking our right to petition our parents.

Manila CRBA & Passport Experience

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657133-usem-crba-experience/

IR-1/CR-1 Journey

USCIS

09/12/2017: I-130 package sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

09/18/2017: NOA1 Email

09/26/2017: NOA1 Hardcopy(Texas Service Center)

10/01/2017: Expedite Request Sent

11/18/2017: NOA2 Email

11/30/2017: NOA2 Hardcopy

12/27/2017: Checked receipt number on the USCIS website and they had just forwarded the case to NVC that day *shame*

NVC

01/03/2018: Case received at NVC

01/10/2018: Expedite request sent

01/11/2018: Email received from NVC expedite that inquiry is under review

01/16/2018: IIN and Case number issued

01/18/2018: Expedite approved and immediately forwarded to US Embassy Manila. CEAC says "In Transit"

Medical & Embassy

01/23/2018: Embassy Received case file. CEAC says "Ready"

01/23/2018: DS-260 completed

01/24/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 1

01/25/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 2

02/02/1018: USEM Interview "PASSED"

02/08/2018: Picked up VISA packet at 2GO Laoag

02/09/2018: CFO sticker... went to the seminar Nov. 29 2017 for passport renewal requirement to change to husbands surname

The best part of this funny conversation is the fact that no where in the proposed immigration act does it say that the parent category will be removed.

It actually states that it will just change - US citizen won't be able to sponsor parents for green card but instead parents will be allowed to have "temporary immigrant visas". To acquire those US sponsor will need to cover health insurance for parents and those parent won't be allowed to work. It's pretty simple and it's none of your business how those sponsors will pay for their parents health care. :) Keep an eye on your own wallets. Parents may have retirement pensions from their countries for example. 

People who are worried they won't be able to bring their parents need to chill. You will still be able to do that. What a ridiculous topic. 

Edited by TBoneTX
remove profanity

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
23 hours ago, Beast7 said:

Agree with you.

In ny opinion DACA, Lottery visa and sibling visa need to be eliminated,but other family migration expect siblings should continue.

An amazing thread...a mixture of emotions, opinions and heresay. Pitting one group against another; just like in real life..Citizens against Muslims, Siblings against DACA. Exactly what the Administration hoped would happen. Very dangerous...

Did anyone see the recent the White House spiel on chain migration - entire villages were relocating to the United States in 1 year? And the other one on the "fact" that virtually all terrorists currently on trail within United States territory are foreign born IMMIGRANTS? And they have the gumption to call out fake news in our media when they manipulate the truth. If you were to look into the details on the terrorist immigrants: all captured overseas and brought to US terrorists for trial. Yes I suppose they are immigrants as they had to be admitted to face trial and they are terrorists, or at least pursued as such.

Immigration for all of us is very emotional. That can be see everyday on this forum but don't let the emotions over rule rational thought. We all know someone going through a horrendous time with regards to DACA, AOS or some other form of immigration. 

Peace out....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Gamboli said:

How? If you sponsor someone you're technically giving the government assurance that those individuals don't become a public charge. If they do become a public charge then the government should go after the sponsors. This will make sponsors think twice before sponsoring anyone in the first place.

Requiring people to purchase insurance prior to the travel to the U.S. and maintaining it throughout their stay is another solution. 

I think this is one of the major issues... what is a Public Charge?

Per the Department of State what is considered a "public charge" :

Food stamps

· Supplemental Security Income ("SSI")

· Medicaid

· Temporary Assistance for Needy Families ("TANF")

· State Child Health Insurance Program ("CHIP")

https://www.njimmigrationattorney.com/blog/2014/10/does-the-affidavit-of-support-require-me-to-pay-medical-and-hospital-bills.shtml

http://www.i-864.net/blog/do-i-864-sponsors-have-to-pay-medical-bills

Here are two websites that breakdown the gray area of the responsibility of the sponsor and the definition of what is considered a "public charge". 

Receiving medical care at a Hospital, as a hospital is not a government agency, in not considered becoming a Public Charge.

Here is the issue with the current system. People are assuming everyone that immigrates is being very responsible and looking into health insurance plans when they enter or shortly after they enter the country. Realistically the current system does not require anyone to have or seek health insurance. Our current Medical System will not turn away anyone (if you have for example a heart attack or stroke) and people will always receive treatments whether or not they have insurance. A medical bill provided from a hospital is a private contract for services rendered (you are not considered a public charge for receiving medical treatments without health insurance). The hospitals will get what they can out of you but then the government eats the remaining debt through taxes. This is also a problem with USC as well but if we are going to say its okay to bring parents then we should also set up regulations that are appropriate and not rely on a good faith system of "we hope immigrants understand US health care". 

I think we can all agree that this loop hole should be closed and their should be a requirement of proof of insurance and reasonable funds before immigrating here with someone that will not be working or through parental immigration. The current requirement of just above the poverty line is not sufficient proof that you have adequate funds to care for a parent. 

My father's transport to the hospital during his stroke was 80,000 dollars. He has insurance but they didn't get his information during the life threatening event, so my parents accidentally received the transport self pay bill to their house. Current financial requirements are not set up to ensure immigrants can pay bills like this. And my father was healthy and playing golf every day before his stroke. Health emergencies happen, they are unplanned, saying your parents are healthy now doesn't ensure they will be in a week. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An assaultive post has been removed.

An uncivil post with profanity has been removed (along with a post quoting), and administrative action applied.

No further incivility or violations of the site's Terms of Service are permissible in this thread.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Beast7 said:

Not really.

There is no free medicated aid for new immigrants.

And free medicated aid is only available in some states.

Emergency care is guaranteed by law.

" The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) is a federal law that requires anyone coming to an emergency department to be stabilized and treated, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay, but since its enactment in 1986 has remained an unfunded mandate. "

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 hours ago, csk2b1 said:

An amazing thread...a mixture of emotions, opinions and heresay. Pitting one group against another; just like in real life..Citizens against Muslims, Siblings against DACA. Exactly what the Administration hoped would happen. Very dangerous...

Did anyone see the recent the White House spiel on chain migration - entire villages were relocating to the United States in 1 year? And the other one on the "fact" that virtually all terrorists currently on trail within United States territory are foreign born IMMIGRANTS? And they have the gumption to call out fake news in our media when they manipulate the truth. If you were to look into the details on the terrorist immigrants: all captured overseas and brought to US terrorists for trial. Yes I suppose they are immigrants as they had to be admitted to face trial and they are terrorists, or at least pursued as such.

Immigration for all of us is very emotional. That can be see everyday on this forum but don't let the emotions over rule rational thought. We all know someone going through a horrendous time with regards to DACA, AOS or some other form of immigration. 

Peace out....

Nice thoughts in the end...

29 minutes ago, missileman said:

" The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) is a federal law that requires anyone coming to an emergency department to be stabilized and treated, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay, but since its enactment in 1986 has remained an unfunded mandate. "

Like it should be. You can't let people die. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Orangesapples said:

Like it should be. You can't let people die. 

Absolutely.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, missileman said:

That is fine. But I think this could be addressed fairly easily to reduce some of the misuse. 

The creditor, in this case the healthcare provider still gets information such as your Social Security, etc at the time of admission. After the treatment they usually ask for your health insurance, etc. It could be included so that they could verify the patient identity, and send the bill to their address, if the bill is not paid after certain time, they could find the people who sponsor them like their children, etc. (The debt collectors in some case could even collect from family members if you can't pay, this shouldn't be any different)

I was under the impression that collection agencies can technically collect from immediate relatives of an individual in debt. I remember reading stories about how two siblings were harassed by creditors after their father passed away. (This story is not immigration-related)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.