zandtee

When an overseas spouse arrives to America, is she eligible for public assistance or does she have to be a citizen first?

32 posts in this topic

An LPR is not eligible for Medicaid, Medicare, or other benefits like food stamps, for five years or unless becoming a citizen. Having savings does not prevent the OP or the OP's spouse from obtaining health insurance via the marketplace or any other insurer in the state that offers insurance privately. Of course, if one makes too much money, then a subsidy won't be qualified for (if qualified the Ocare subsidy doesn't count, so that's fine for an LPR - I repeat: Ocare with or without subsidy is not off limits for LPRs)... but most Americans don't qualify for the subsidy anyway. Having savings does not disqualify you from using Ocare. There is, iirc, some state Medi-type programs in NY (in a few rare states) that immigrants may be eligible for, however I can offer no further advice on that and it would be up to the OP to carefully explore. If the OP does not obtain health insurance for themselves and their spouse then the penalty in taxes will apply. The USC has a responsibility to find healthcare for their spouse if they can afford it, but there is no law that requires them to purchase it.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Some clarification here, at least from my own experience.  The immigrant can receive Obamacare subsidies as a LPR, a LPR before 5 years can get on medicaid under certain circumstances (in your case this might be pregnancy on her part), and certain states do have an internal public insurance program that covers LPRs before 5 years and those who might fall into the too much for medicaid too little for obamacare gap.  My husband and I currently both pay an income adjusted amount monthly to receive health insurance through our state.  For people who are medicaid eligible (we make too much so we pay more), the LPR would pay something like $4-15/month.   There are, like PP said, very few states that have a program like this, so you'll need to do your research.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

Why are you judging this response so harshly? The first step associated with getting affordable insurance for the OP and his immigrant wife is through one of the Obamacare networks. Based on the income information provided, the OP may indeed qualify, himself, for a policy with a Medicaid subsidy and then he can go on to insure his wife through Obamacare via an non-subsidized policy.

I don't see where dnp2014 is advising anyone to violate laws.

My comment is not for OP who I believe a US citizen, I m sure he will qualify. The original question was for LPR spouse. No judging here, facts dont change so if you know more than that please add your thoughts. Please read other comments too....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

ok guys lets not derail the topic.  I'd like to thank everyone who participated.  You have all answered the question I asked and  have given me additional information regarding health insurance that I did not know about.  Thank you everyone.  I love this site and keep up the good work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I actually took and passed the Colorado Insurance Exam, a bit like the Colorado Driving test a joke.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Medicaid also gets federal money (the mix of who pays more--states vs. feds) and is not just a state program.  States have some freedom in how they run the programs, but to qualify for Medicaid dollars, they must also comply with certain federal requirements.

If you get someone on an assistance program that's not supposed to be on it, as a sponsor, they can come back and make you pay them back, and there's no real time limitation.  There is a statute of limitations but it's not from the date the dollars were first laid out, it starts from when they first discover someone received a benefit they shouldn't have.   If it takes them five years to discover it, that's the first date the clock starts ticking, so you're never in the clear in that respect.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, jandtee said:

I think bad4tatt is righ tthough.  I dont think me and her would qualify for any health insurance or assistance.  I plan to sponsor my wife because I have 100k in savings.  I myself personally dont have health insurance because I didnt apply as my savings account would prevent me from being eligible.  I do make less than 28k but my money in my savings account would make me ineligible and would possibly make her ineligible as well.  Should I halt the process until I get a job with health insurance I guess?

You’re not ineligible for health insurance, neither is your spouse. You can buy your own health insurance from an insurance company, you just don’t get subsidies. 

I work for a small company and my salary is over the threshold so I have to buy my own health insurance from an insurance company. Everyone’s eligible for health insurance. The choice is whether or not you want to buy it, and for some whether or not they can afford it. 

Lord knows the premiums are getting ridiculous for those of us who don’t have insurance through work and who don’t qualify for Obamacare. 

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
15 hours ago, jandtee said:

The CR1 visa has income requirements so that the spouse won't rely on government assistance right away I heard.  I plan to sponsor her by assets because my salary for 2017 was low.  Is it true that if she comes to America she won't be eligible for public assistance (such as health insurance) as a green card holder? I would have to wait until she's a citizen right?

She cannot apply for any assitance for 5 yrs i was told by a friend who is a GC holder

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
12 hours ago, jandtee said:

i can pay off certain  medical bills such as pills or prescription drugs. But healthcare in america is expensive.  I hear horror stories of people needing surgery or getting injured in car accidents and the surgery cost up to millions without health insurance.  Im working on getting a career that comes with great benefits such as healthcare for me and a spouse.

The entire purpose of requiring a qualified sponsor for the immigrant is to assure they don't become a public charge, meaning assuring YOU support your wife instead of the rest of us doing so.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow. This person only asked if their spouse could get assistance with health insurance. Not sure why people have to be SO rude.

Like, why are you all so mad? <_< Get a better job? Lol. Some people just think they know it all, don't they?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ashcashbananas said:

Wow. This person only asked if their spouse could get assistance with health insurance. Not sure why people have to be SO rude.

Like, why are you all so mad? <_< Get a better job? Lol. Some people just think they know it all, don't they?

Some people who are NOT mad at all actually do know all that is needed to know about this particular subject.  The OP asked about eligibility for public assistance, not specific to assistance with health insurance, in the first post of the topic.  A person need not be emotional about a subject in order to speak truth about it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
7 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Some people who are NOT mad at all actually do know all that is needed to know about this particular subject.  The OP asked about eligibility for public assistance, not specific to assistance with health insurance, in the first post of the topic.  A person need not be emotional about a subject in order to speak truth about it.

Wasn't referring to you, was referring to others who appear to be upset!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ashcashbananas said:

Wasn't referring to you, was referring to others who appear to be upset!

OK, but the OP did not only ask about assistance with health insurance.  Posting emotional responses are inappropriate even the emotion is in response to the emotions of others. 

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

OK, but the OP did not only ask about assistance with health insurance.  Posting emotional responses are inappropriate even the emotion is in response to the emotions of others. 

"The CR1 visa has income requirements so that the spouse won't rely on government assistance right away I heard.  I plan to sponsor her by assets because my salary for 2017 was low.  Is it true that if she comes to America she won't be eligible for public assistance (such as health insurance) as a green card holder? I would have to wait until she's a citizen right?"

Maybe I'm wrong.

14 hours ago, jandtee said:

i can pay off certain  medical bills such as pills or prescription drugs. But healthcare in america is expensive.  I hear horror stories of people needing surgery or getting injured in car accidents and the surgery cost up to millions without health insurance.  Im working on getting a career that comes with great benefits such as healthcare for me and a spouse.

So from your $100k savings you can pay a few hundred a month for medical insurance to ensure you don't face such nightmare bills, should anything happen to her. Where I work I can add a dependent onto my plan for a few dollars short of $400 a month. That should be achievable until she gets a job of her own with healthcare. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.