Nilo+Nav

K1 visa question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My first ever post here!  

Have been reading this forum for a while, decided finally to join in 😃

I want to bring my fiancé from Iran. I'm a US citizen and are almost done with the application and all the documents. Wanted to know, what's the best way to mail in all the papers and photos? Should I use a binder and put each paper in transparent plastic covers (like some k1 petitioners have shown YouTube videos)? or should I just staple everything togheter, maybe whole-punch all? I'm confused! Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you 😊 

Use binder clips and sticky notes. They need to disassemble your petition when it gets to them. No need for folders. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Nilo+Nav said:

Hi everyone,

My first ever post here!  

I want to bring my fiancé from Iran. I'm a US citizen and are almost done with the application and all the documents. Wanted to know, what's the best way to mail in all the papers and photos? Should I use a binder and put each paper in transparent plastic covers (like some k1 petitioners have shown YouTube videos)? or should I just staple everything togheter, maybe whole-punch all? I'm confused! Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you 😊 

We put everything in a binder, with plastic sleeves, a table of contents and tabs seperating everything. Perhaps it was overkill, perhaps not. I think the main thing is to make it easy on the adjudicator so that they know what's what. There's no 'correct' way to do it. Good luck!!

K-1 Visa

04-06-2017  I-129F Sent to Dallas Lockbox

04-15-2017  NOA 1 Received by mail (Sent to California Service Center)

08-17-2017  NOA 2 Received by mail (124 LONG Days from NOA 1. Status NEVER changed on USCIS site)

09-01-7017  NVC Received, Case Number Assigned (Petitioner notified by email)

09-04-2017  Sydney Embassy Received Case

09-04-2017  Packet 3 Received (Petitioner Received email)

09-04-2017  Packet 3 Sent To Embassy

09-04-2017  Packet 4 Sent (Beneficiary Received email)

09-25-2017  Interview Date (APPROVED!!!!)

09-27-2017  VISA IN HAND!!!

12-18-2017  POE In Dallas

01-03-2018 Applied For Social Security Card

01-09-2018 Social Security Card In Hand

01-10-2018 Wedding!!!

AOS

01-13-2018 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

01-18-2018 RFE For Sending In Wrong Form (We Didn't. Called USCIS, their mistake. Resent Packet)

01-30-2018 NOA 1 Sent In New Medical Immediately Upon Receipt of NOA

03-09-2019 Green Card Received

07-11-2018 EAD/AP Approved

07-17-2018 Received EAD/AP Card

11-19-2018 Received Interview Date By Mail

12-20-2018 AOS Interview in Nashville. Need a new medical so, waiting for that.

Recieved RFE Because We Needed a New Medical. Not sure of exact date. But it was received a few months later.

03/05/2019 NOA Stating That Green Card Approved

03/05/2019 Green Card in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I used binder clips. I wouldn't use a binder since I'm sure they'll have to take the papers out of the binder. Definitely don't staple everything together since they'll then have to use staple removers. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

From uscis website, they prefer

Assemble Your Application, Petition, or Request

• We recommend assembling your package in the following order:
    • Check or money order (Write the form you are filing and your A-Number or other applicable identification on the check or money order.)
    • Form G-1145, Request for e-Notification (if applicable)
    • Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative (if applicable)
    • Form being filed
    • Supporting documentation:
      • Submit the documents or evidence listed in the form instructions.
      • Supporting documents must be in English or accompanied by a complete English translation.
      • Submit copies unless we request original documents. If you send an original document with your form, it may become part of the record and we will not return it to you automatically. 
      • If you have any attachments, make sure each attached page has your name and A-Number (if any). You may also number the pages and include the total amount of pages being attached (for example, “page 1 of 11”).
  • Mark the envelope and the cover letter with the nature of the submission. For example, Original Submission, Brief for an Appeal, or Response to Request for Additional Information.
  • Mark the envelope and the cover letter with the form number. For example, I-129, I-130, I-690 or I-698.
  • In preparing your packet, remember:
    • Do not use binders or folders that we cannot easily disassemble.
    • Use fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.
    • Sticky tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. For easy filing, place the tabs on the bottom of the page, not the side.
    • Do not use heavy-duty staples; instead use fasteners or heavy clips.
    • Do not submit originals unless specifically required. 
    • Do not submit oversized documentation unless it is necessary.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I used binder clips.  Mine was returned for not including the payment, even though I included the credit card form.  Anyway, they had disassembled and reassembled it and put a single heavy duty staple through the whole thing. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Keep it simple.  Binder cilips, folders, etc will be removed and tossed in the garbage.   Complete your cover letter.  Stack all papers, forms, and documents in order of the cover letter one on top of the other.  Place cover letter on top and slide into envelope addressed appropriately.  You can use paper clips to attach payment or passport pics to forms. Pictures can be printed on white 8x11 copy paper.  Do not send photo albums.  Do not use staples.

Adjudicators know what they are looking for/at.  They are pros at this.  Everything will be separated according to their usage.  Don't make it any harder than necessary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, Nilo+Nav said:

Hi everyone,

My first ever post here!  

I want to bring my fiancé from Iran.

Not that you asked this but keep in mind Iran is one of the countries that frequently has really long administrative processing times. You can check their portal and look at others timelines, reach out to others with fiancee or spouse from Iran for more accurate info but try to frontload to show strong relationship between the two of you and just realize it may not be easy unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, bakphx1@aol.com said:

I used binder clips.  Mine was returned for not including the payment, even though I included the credit card form.  Anyway, they had disassembled and reassembled it and put a single heavy duty staple through the whole thing. 

• Check or money order (Write the form you are filing and your A-Number or other applicable identification on the check or money order.)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I submitted mine plain and simple, following the USCIS preference that is. Notification of Acceptance form, check on top of the front of the packet and the 2 passport photos attached behind it, then the cover letter and everything was tabbed with small sticky paper tabs just as they asked for on the site and paper clipped it all together. I put everything in a yellow envelope and made sure to write down "Original Submission" on the envelope and cover letter. It was accepted and received our NOA1 with a case number. 

Best of luck!

:wub:

Petition Mailed – 09/01/2017

USCIS Received – 09/05/2017

NOA1 – 09/07/2017

USCIS Approved – 03/02/2018

Received NOA2 – 03/07/2018

NVC Received – 03/20/2018

Case # Assigned – 04/02/2018

NVC Left – 04/02/2018

Embassy Received (Showing "Ready") – 04/05/2018

Interview – July 12, 2018

Approved –

Visa Received –

US Entry –

Timeline
7 hours ago, Lovelise26 said:

I submitted mine plain and simple, following the USCIS preference that is. Notification of Acceptance form, check on top of the front of the packet and the 2 passport photos attached behind it, then the cover letter and everything was tabbed with small sticky paper tabs just as they asked for on the site and paper clipped it all together. I put everything in a yellow envelope and made sure to write down "Original Submission" on the envelope and cover letter. It was accepted and received our NOA1 with a case number. 

Best of luck!

Thank you so much. That was very helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.