angelalahavok

B1/B2 need to go home?

45 posts in this topic

Basically if they keep traveling back and forth every 6 months, on one day they will simply be deny entry to the USA and their tourist visas will be revoked. Not a fun experience. 

Also the name "tourist visa" should give you a hint. You can't work or permanently live in the US. Period. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

8 minutes ago, angelalahavok said:

I know but citizens cannot petitions for in laws

5 minutes ago, angelalahavok said:

I know they cannot work but just figured I'd ask as I know nothing about this type of visa

It is ok for you to ask because you did not understand and are trying to figure it all out.

But the realization is that your in-laws can not permanently live here legally with your current plan. You will have to wait until your spouse becomes a citizen in order to petition for them. 

In the meantime they will only be limited to short visits. Anything more than that could jeopardize their ability to visit you in the future. But your questions have already been answered....

• They cannot stay longer than their allotted time
  • They cannot continue frequent visits
  • They are not allowed to work
  • They will not be eligible for health coverage outside of travelers insurance

Now that you know these rules you can use it accordingly.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Hi, 

Here's one example... maybe two...

My in laws were granted 5 years B1/B2 Visa. They came here last year in December, stayed here til March even though their I-94 stated valid til June.

Another scenario: my friend was granted again 5 years Visa but her I-94 only stated valid for 1 month. 

Both my in laws and my friend cannot work here as well as getting a health insurance. 

27 minutes ago, angelalahavok said:

I guess I'm not understanding why it's for up to 5 yrs if they can only stay 6 months. Or they can come back but not til like a year later after they return to their country?

The visa is valid for 5 years. Their duration of stay for any single trip is capped at 6 months during POE, and is determined by CBP when they are admitted to the US. So somebody can visit, for example, 1 week once every 2 months for up to 5 years on that visa fine (assuming it's multi-entry and CBP doesn't see any issue with it).

They cannot live or work in the US. If CBP believes that they are abusing their visa and living in the US, they will deny entry (and be forced to pay for the return flight). Typically after an extended stay of like 6 months, they won't be admitted again for quite some time...maybe 9 months on the low side and 12+ months more conservatively? Nobody can say for sure as it's a decision CBP makes during entry based on the totality of the circumstances.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, during frequent visits, the officer at the border also has the discretion to put a cap on how long that visit must be for (for example they stayed 6 months on one visit, left for a month or so, and then came back...the officer can mark in the passport that they are authorized to stay this time for only 30 days or so if the officer chooses to.  If so, that overrides the normal 6-month allowance per trip)

That's why it's never a good idea to stay long on a tourist visa----the person may find out they'll be leaving sooner than they think the next time they come back.

How long do your parents plan on visiting the first time they come to the US?  If for more than a month, have they thought about money to pay for expenses, who's going to watch their home while gone, etc.?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

2 hours ago, angelalahavok said:

I guess I'm not understanding why it's for up to 5 yrs if they can only stay 6 months. Or they can come back but not til like a year later after they return to their country?

The visa is valid for 5 years and it allows the visa holder to make multiple visits within that timeframe only. After the validity ends, if they want another B2, they'll have to re-apply. 

As many others before me have clearly pointed out to you, the duration of each entry using the visa is decided by the CBP officer at the POE. The time given is usually up to 6 months, it could be less for some. 

If granted 6 months at POE, it is unwise to stay in the US all of those 6 months to avoid accidental overstay (e.g. flight purchased for the last day of the 6 months given and then flight is delayed and they are stuck waiting at the airport for a flight that will only depart a day after their allowed 6 months) OR to be viewed as living in the US by the next CBP officer at their subsequent entry into the US.

Frankly, frequent visits coupled with long stays on a B2 will cause suspicion. They are as good as living part time in the US. And don't forget the tax implication! Aside from that, overstaying on a B2 will incur them a bar from entering the US and their visa may be revoked. So, your parents-in-law better use their B2 wisely. A B2 does not come by easily but it will be taken away very easily and swiftly for any suspected abuse or fraud.

Your husband and you ought to consider petitioning them to become LPR. That's the only legal way for them to move, live and work in the US legally. Even with LPR status, they need to maintain their presence within the US to risk the green card being revoked due to suspected abandonment of their US domicile. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

Tourist visa is for short stay. Be careful with it. It's very easy to earn a ban and be enable to enter the US next time for 5 or 10 years.

I think you mean unable to enter. 

Regarding to this post. I see lot of people that have that misconception. They think they can stay in US for the validity of that tourist visa. For example, my mom was granted with a 10 year tourist visa but obviously that does not allow her to come to US and stay for 10 years. You have to spend more time in your home country than in US. Simple.

Edited by Sunnyland

Timeline
3 hours ago, mcdull said:

You are going to a club that opens at 10pm and closes at 3am.

This doesn't mean you have to stay there for the whole duration. 

You are mistaken validity for duration.

The visa is good for 5 years, which means within a five-year frame, your parents could come to the US as a SHORT TERM visitor multiple times. It doesn't authorise them to stay for 5 years.

Your club hours analogy was the best way I've ever seen this explained to someone in simple terms :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, angelalahavok said:

Hi my parents in law have B1/B2 visa for 5 years and my husband thinks they need to go back to their country after 6 months then a couple months later come back to US and can stay for the rest of the time, is this true? Also is B1/B2 eligible for working or health insurance? Thank u

You state go back after 6 months which indicate to me that they have already overstayed. This may incur a ban. It is best to use the visa as it is meant. To visit for vacation purposes or short business trips. Your husband needs to petition for his parents to live in the USA.  

Visa - CR1

Service Center - Nebraska

PD - January 26, 2017

NOA1 - January 31, 2017

NOA2 - November 3, 2017

State Department - Sent November 7, 2017

NVC Received - November 9, 2017

Consular Interview - January 5, 2018

Port of Entry - Miami on January 19, 2018

ROC Mailed - December 14, 2019

ROC Rec'd - December 16, 2019

E-Notification - December 19, 2019

ROC sent to National Benefits Center (MSC receipt #)

Cheque cashed December 20, 2019

Ready to Schedule for interview - October 7, 2020

No ROC interview

New card is being produced - August 16, 2021
Card received - August 23, 2021

N400 -  Online

Filed - July 19, 2021
NOA - July 24, 2021

Biometrics - August 16, 2021
Interview - December 14, 2021

Approval - January 27, 2021

Oath Ceremony Notice Mailed - March 17, 2022

Oath Ceremony - March 30, 2022

Passport Book and Card in hand August 12th and 14th 2022.

My journey is finally over 🥰

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Longingfor said:

Your husband needs to petition for his parents to live in the USA

The husband is not a USC.  He cannot petition them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This has to be a wind up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

People, you do NOT get a BAN for overstaying for 1 day!  

A b1/b2 can normally stay up to 180 days, not 6 months. 

Overstay is as follows:

180-364 days of overstay = 3 year ban.

365+ days of overstay = 10 year ban. 

These are days PAST when you were supposed to leave, which unless you're Canadian, generally is stamped on your passport.  

A visit may be stamped for less than your planned stay but generally will be when your flight is supposed to go back. 

Edited by NikLR
TY boiler

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

However overstaying even 1 day could cause your visa to be revoked and entry denied next time.  But this is not a ban. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

3 and 10

Visa auto cancelled.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Here's another way to look at the length of time they make these visas. 

If you apply for a visa and you get a 5 yr or a 10 yr visa. It's like for the next 5 yrs they waive the interview and you get to visit for short periods during that time. Isn't that better then applying each time you want to go visit someone and risk getting denied after you have one 2 week visit? They are giving the benefit of doubt that the person will not abuse it. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.