DaniM

Denied at Customs for Being Married?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi I'm really lost right now, and I am looking for all the help I can get for this topic. I am a Canadian citizen and me and my husband got married in the U.S. on October of 2016, we filed the CR-1 visa around December, in the CR-1 we claimed that I would be receiving my visa in Canada. I came back to Canada in November, and without knowing there would be any problems I had planned to get a trip back to U.S early January. So It's January, and they stopped me in customs, declining my travel request. They told me I wasn't able to travel because I was married and I had to wait until I received my CR-1 visa. I had no idea this would be a problem, I'm not too sure what is the problem, if there is a law that I have failed to come across about being Canadian and being married to a U.S. citizen. They said that they didn't have any proof that would show I would be coming back to the U.S. but I don't understand that when my CR-1 visa application completely states that I need to go to a U.S. embassy in Canada to receive my visa. I am at a loss for words that I am unable to even see my husband. Am I able to apply for a temporary visa to be able to see him? Are there any other solutions to this, or do I indefinitely need to wait for my application to be accepted?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

They see you as a threat to stay and adjust, that and probably believe that you're making too many trips to the USA and perhaps not enough time at home in Canada.  

No, there is no temporary visa.  You're flagged in the system.  If you do try again, carry strong ties to Canada with you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Let me get this straight - you've applied to a CR1 visa and you tried in the meantime to visit your husband under the visa waiver program? Am I correct?

The problem you're facing is one faced by many of us - you've applied for an immigrant visa. This means you've essentially declared your intent to move to the USA, so you need to have very strong proof that you intend to go back to Canada. Even with this strong proof,  you could be denied entrance. You may have no choice but to wait (like many many many of us here) until you're CR1 visa is approved. Sorry!

Unfortunately, this can happen and the POE officers have a right to deny you. I guess with the frequent visits they are seeing that you are spending more time in the US than Canada.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, agripa said:

Let me get this straight - you've applied to a CR1 visa and you tried in the meantime to visit your husband under the visa waiver program? Am I correct?

The problem you're facing is one faced by many of us - you've applied for an immigrant visa. This means you've essentially declared your intent to move to the USA, so you need to have very strong proof that you intend to go back to Canada. Even with this strong proof,  you could be denied entrance. You may have no choice but to wait (like many many many of us here) until you're CR1 visa is approved. Sorry!

Canadians don't do vwp.  We get usually a defacto b2 with the ability to stay up to 6 months

While it is possible to make successful trips and visits to our fiancés and spouses, unfortunately there are situations where you are flagged and denied entry. The good news is this will have no affect on your spousal visa  and once that is approved you'll be together - but for now you'll have to stay back home. It sort of sounds like you've made too many entry/exits in too short a time frame and the CBP were unwilling to believe your intentions of going back home despite having an application pending. Abuse of the system causes such suspicions and high burden of proof.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

The same thing happened to my husband in Australia ?

He attempted to come visit and was stopped right as he was boarding the plane in Sydney. It was a very expensive decline and it was probably the biggest moment of complete disappointment I have ever experienced ?

3 minutes ago, susanm26 said:

The same thing happened to my husband in Australia ?

He attempted to come visit and was stopped right as he was boarding the plane in Sydney. It was a very expensive decline and it was probably the biggest moment of complete disappointment I have ever experienced ?

I didn't know they had US officers in Sydney.  

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

I didn't know they had US officers in Sydney.  

It was via the phone. He was stopped at the gate and was given the telephone. That is when he was questioned regarding his visit to the states and was denied

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, susanm26 said:

It was via the phone. He was stopped at the gate and was given the telephone. That is when he was questioned regarding his visit to the states and was denied

WOW! really, wow!

3 hours ago, susanm26 said:

Very odd! If I were attempting to board a plane and got a phone call that I had been denied entry at my destination I would assume a scam. How did he know the call was genuine? Doesn't a denial have to have something in writing or stamped in your passport? I used to work on the check-in and the only time I have seen passengers denied boarding for immigration issues is when they were travelling on one-way tickets to somewhere that required a return ticket (like the USA does for VWP visitors - you must have a return ticket to enter under the VWP. Saying you will buy a ticket home when you get there - as I have also seen - doesn't work). 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
3 hours ago, JFH said:

Very odd! If I were attempting to board a plane and got a phone call that I had been denied entry at my destination I would assume a scam. How did he know the call was genuine? Doesn't a denial have to have something in writing or stamped in your passport? I used to work on the check-in and the only time I have seen passengers denied boarding for immigration issues is when they were travelling on one-way tickets to somewhere that required a return ticket (like the USA does for VWP visitors - you must have a return ticket to enter under the VWP. Saying you will buy a ticket home when you get there - as I have also seen - doesn't work). 

Agreed, something doesn't quite add up.  Airlines (as far as I know) don't work hand in hand with immigration officers in the manner described.  They use the IATA system to verify travel requirements.  For instance I've never heard of them talking on the phone with immigration officers.  And on top of that giving the phone to a passenger?  

13 hours ago, DaniM said:

Hi I'm really lost right now, and I am looking for all the help I can get for this topic. I am a Canadian citizen and me and my husband got married in the U.S. on October of 2016, we filed the CR-1 visa around December, in the CR-1 we claimed that I would be receiving my visa in Canada. I came back to Canada in November, and without knowing there would be any problems I had planned to get a trip back to U.S early January. So It's January, and they stopped me in customs, declining my travel request. They told me I wasn't able to travel because I was married and I had to wait until I received my CR-1 visa. I had no idea this would be a problem, I'm not too sure what is the problem, if there is a law that I have failed to come across about being Canadian and being married to a U.S. citizen. They said that they didn't have any proof that would show I would be coming back to the U.S. but I don't understand that when my CR-1 visa application completely states that I need to go to a U.S. embassy in Canada to receive my visa. I am at a loss for words that I am unable to even see my husband. Am I able to apply for a temporary visa to be able to see him? Are there any other solutions to this, or do I indefinitely need to wait for my application to be accepted?

https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip - DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program - worth a bookmark  -  "unfairly detained during your travel experience" or "unfairly" denied entry into the United States Or "U.S. government's record of your personal information is inaccurate."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

This is a direct effect of those people entering the US as a tourist and adjusting status, more scrutiny for legitimate visitors married to USCs who just want to come visit for awhile and go home. :( Hopefully Trump and the republicans remove the adjustment from tourist visa/vwp option, which should remove some of that scrutiny and make it easier for family coming to visit. 

A good rule of thumb when visiting the US as a tourist is to have three times as much time out of the US as you do inside. E.g if you visit for two months, stay in your country for six months before returning to the US.

When married to a USC, it's also a good idea to bring strong ties to your home country, e.g letter from your employer, rental agreement/mortgage deed etc.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.