176 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you not read the I 864.

Would require her to go to Federal Court and get an order, the Court is not going to care how little you have left. Your problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That's the peril of bringing a foreign spouse to US.

Everybody should think through the process many many times before commiting ;)

Read this thread:

Getting Sued using I864

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/417935-getting-sued-using-i864/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

How often does that happen? And if I don't have the income, how can she take something I don't have

You said you earn 30k. single person, 125% is less than that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If the worst happens then you need to have a back up plan, for her to take it to court will not be cheap so may not happen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

How often does that happen? And if I don't have the income, how can she take something I don't have

Depending on the situation it could lead to a judgment against you, having wages garnished, bank accounts seized, etc. If you don't pay, you may be liable for interest as well. You stuck us Americans with this lady, you have legal obligations that come with that.

Being able to receive means-tested benefits depends on the state. Some states only give these out after 5 years of LPR status.

I believe you are still liable in the case of fraud or error, although the LPR probably is too.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

So how likely is it that I will still have to support her after we r divorced? Is there gidelines. If I'm only making 30k, a year and have a mortgage and a kid, how can they take 20k, and still think I can live on 10k.

Realistically, not very likely.

I don't think normally an I-864 is taken into account during divorce proceedings.

Your (ex-)wife can sue you based on the I-864, but that's costly, and the result is not guaranteed so it does not happen often.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

You stuck us Americans with this lady, you have legal obligations that come with that.

What does this even mean? He didn't stick her with you or any other American, you won't ever be asked to support her. Are you referring to the fact that she can apply for food stamps, etc? And that's paid with our tax dollars. If so, why are you so concerned if she receives welfare? I bet she's no worse than most of the current welfare recipients (lazy Americans). You have no problem with lazy, worthless Americans who can work, but don't want to, receiving it but with her you get offended?

Guys,

I'm not sure why, but it seems like you are ganging up on the OP. The tone in your posts is very accusatory, like it's his fault that he happen to draw the unlucky psycho scammer. The rest of us got lucky and ended up with sincere loving spouses. I know we would like to think that we would not make the same mistake but the truth is that some of them are great actresses, and by the time we realize it, it's too late. He didn't wait too long. The day she left him, he started to put things in motion (based on what he says, I don't know him so all we have is what he tells us). He was trying to work things out, and when she left he tried to act but it was too late. But she left that day as soon as she got the text/email that her GC was approved.

This explains why USCIS told him that it's too late to pull the 864, because they saw on their screens that she had already been approved. But they could not tell him that due to "privacy" laws. Ironic that they happily take our $1100 to pay for AOS (since the foreigners can't work), but then won't release any info about the status to us. Funny.

OP,

I would get down based on the people in the last 2 pages of this thread. It sounds like there was nothing more than you could have done, except maybe act before she even moved out, but after going through all the trouble to get them here, most people don't want to give up so easily and try to save their marriage. You got unlucky that you picked a crazy scammer.

As for her suing you under I-864, it's a longshot. I know it's a risk but it's not as common as people would like to believe. I think you can count on one hand the number of times that it has actually been done successfully. My advice: file for divorce and move on with your life. There is nothing you can do to screw up her immigration status at this point so why waste your time. She got what she came for, so I predict you will not hear from this psycho until she tries to get something out of you in the divorce. Don't give her squat voluntarily by any means. Stop sending anything to any of her family, and cut off all contact with her. Only communicate through lawyers.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

What does this even mean? He didn't stick her with you or any other American, you won't ever be asked to support her. Are you referring to the fact that she can apply for food stamps, etc? And that's paid with our tax dollars. If so, why are you so concerned if she receives welfare? I bet she's no worse than most of the current welfare recipients (lazy Americans). You have no problem with lazy, worthless Americans who can work, but don't want to, receiving it but with her you get offended?

That isn't what I meant by that, but I'll send you a PM if you are still interested or we can start a thread in the appropriate sub forum.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

Eric-Pris,, Thankyou.I set myself up on a public forum, but I needed people to talk to who understand thIs whole process. Yes your r 100% dead on. After all the time, emotion and money put into getting her here I really wanted it to work and gave it plenty of chances. At the beginning I was 10 ft tall to her and the best thing ever. I never heard so much praise and I was treated like a king. That all changed a few months later when she joined online groups. I noticed new big words she was using that she didn't even understand. I went from being Mr wonderful to being a monster by who ever was coaching her. She is very stubborn and hard headed, but some how someone on these groups I feel got into her head. It went from 3 days of tampo, and her being mad to 27 days of happiness monthy at the start. After she joined those private online groups it reversed it's self. I tried talking to her. I tried logic. I tried tampo, too, but nothing worked. I keep hoping the woman from those first 3 months here and the one I talked to on Skype for a year and a half would come back, but she never did. It only got worse. The words she said made no sense. Like ,abuse of power and financial abuse and I forced her to come to America and my favorite. She said I'm using her for companionship, what? Isn't companionship what we r all looking for?

Not trying to be mean to him.. but from his posts. There are already red flags during their courtship (treating him like ATM machine).

He could have, should have done blah blah.. are all too late now..

Oh well, all these ramblings are just afterthoughts of what have happened already.

At least dating a local scammer does not have to worry about I-864. ;)

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.