mellowkitty

Why should K1 visa applicants get interview date before I-130 applicants!

73 posts in this topic

Boston-Montreal hear the sarcasm but funny hahaha!!!

No sarcasm, sorry. Wishing you the best in your journey, CR1 might be a little longer, but I sincerely wish you a smooth ride.

Hey, there was a guy a while back who was so upset about it in the Canada forum he wanted to get divorced and remarry to save a bit of time. Not sure what he did in the end...

Found it: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/276082-get-divorced-to-remarry-in-ny-state-due-to-on-certificate-wait-time/

Was not CR1-K1, but delay to get the marriage certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Really everyone the k1 isn't as great as you think. We got to the interview process quick but have been in admin processing since Nov 30 not even told if we were approved. No status changed still says ready for interview. Wish I would of been married already like all of you. Since I have kids from a previous marriage I wanted everyone to spend time together first. No matter what we do the process really is so long and upsetting :(

We all have it tough and I think that's what everyone is ultimately getting at. Immigration is stressful no matter which side of the coin you're on but in the end we're all after the same thing and that's to be with our significant others. Both CR-1 and K-1 are very different visas and we all chose our paths for different reasons. Some people are lucky in that their file just happened to cross the right person's desk at a certain time or someone else's case has no red flags that would prevent them from being denied. We're all different and we all know what makes our cases different.

I imagine the CR-1 takes longer because you have to prove everything upfront before you come here and K-1s prove it after marriage on the provision that if we can't prove the marriage and we don't get married in 90 days from entry there will be no green card which then causes a slew of other problems. The others are right though, K-1 you live in limbo for the entire process. We can't make marriage plans or long term plans until we know where our application stands in the process. CR-1s you don't necessarily have the same uncertainty. So there's pros and cons.

Edited by vpalermo85

event.png

event.png

I always thought that the IR-1/CR-1 takes "longer" than the K-1 because you have to do all of your waiting up front before you enter, but you get most of the privileges of living in the United States upon landing, whereas K-1 has to wait for it and essentially can't start their new life in America until they have it.

So really, everyone waits. Everyone has their own hoops to jump through and no one here on VJ should wish ill of another's journey when we're all fighting and working towards the same goal of being with our loved ones. :)

K-1 Visa Process (182 days from I-129F filed -> Visa in Hand)

May 10th, 2015: Got Engaged!

June 12th 2015: Fiance filed I-129F, June 19th, 2015: (NOA1) Received at California Service Center

July 23rd, 2015: (NOA2) NVC received

Aug 31st, 2015: NVC Approved and fwd case to consulate in Montreal. MTL case # given.

Sept 8th, 2015: MTL received and sent P3 by mail, Sept 18th, 2015: P3 received in mail, Sept 18th, 2015: DS-160 completed and P3 documents sent by e-mail

Sept 21st, 2015: P3 Approved. Received P4 by e-mail, Sept 21st, 2015: Booked K-1 Visa interview for December 2nd, 2015!!

Oct 2nd, 2015: Booked Medical in Toronto for November 12th, 2015

Nov. 12th, 2015: Medical done in Toronto, ON with Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas. Highly recommend him!!

Nov. 17th, 2015: Medical results delivered by Purolator

Dec. 2nd, 2015: Interview in Montreal... APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 9th, 2015: CEAC status changed to Issued!

Dec. 11th, 2015: Ready for pickup at Waterloo location. Picked up and Visa in Hand!

K-1 AOS Process (72 days from I-485 filed -> Green Card in Hand)

Spoiler

POE: Dec. 16th, 2015 by U-Haul @ Port Huron <p>

AOS, EAD, AP (72 days from package sent -> Green Card in hand)

Jan. 1st, 2016: Civil Ceremony <3

Jan. 29th, 2016: Applied for SSN

Feb. 2nd, 2016: Sent off AOS packet

Feb. 9th, 2016: NOA1's received by text & e-mail

Feb. 13th, 2016: NOA1 hard copies received in the mail

Feb. 23rd, 2016: Biometrics letter in mail received for Feb 29th!

Feb. 23rd, 2016: SSN received in the mail

Feb. 29th, 2016: Successful Biometrics appointment in Tampa, FL

April 7th, 2016: Green Card in production!!!

April 11th, 2016: Green Card in Mail

April 13th, 2016: Received Green Card :)

Removal of Conditions Process

Jan 16th, 2018: Mailed Form I-751 to CSC

Jan 18th, 2018: USPS Delivered to CSC

Jan. 24th, 2018: NOA1 received in the mail

Having been here on these boards seeing the processing times ebb and flow for many years now, I don't think that the K1s are considerably faster because of the visa type, it's more to do with USCIS and their terribly disorganised structure.

The workloads are not balanced in any visibly fair way. Some years the K1s at one service center are faster than everything else. The next year they try to deal with backlogs of the CR1s and make that a priority and suddenly the K1s all slow down. Then the CR1s on one side of the country are really really slow and then suddenly they speed up again.

It seems as though every time they try to fix one issue, it causes problems in another place. Spousal visa are very very slow for big sections of people at the moment and it's a horrible wait. I know how it feels I had a ten month wait for my NOA2 back in 2008.

The K1s might be a tiny bit faster because of less processing needed at the NVC but the long waits the spousal visa applicants are experiencing at the moment are not about processing times - it's about the waiting times to get processed.

Mellowkitty,

Listen to Transborderwife, NLR, Boston-Canadian, and the others alike. The K1 visa is not all people think it is. It is a very limited visa. Yes you can work and travel but it can take up to 90 days to get authorization. With the spouse visa a person can go job hunting a day after they arrive in the US with their visa in hand. And if they want to turn around and go back home a week later it will be no problem.

There are many couples (including my wife and I) that took the K1 visa route that would do the spouse visa if could go back and do it again.

If you take away the entrance into the US part the issuance of the green card is roughly the same amount of time. And trust me, being able to immediately obtain a drivers license, get a job, and travel immediately after migrating to the US is a huge advantage.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

This has been explained time and time again. The k1 is faster because we don't immediately get a green card so we don't have to go through the initial hoops spousal visas do. We go through those later. We don't immediately get to work, to travel, to do everything that we would on a spousal visa. Yeah, we get to be with our spouses sooner but why waste time being bitter about it when it's not going to do anything? Being frustrated, angry and upset about this process, crying out that it's unfair isn't going to do anything. Be happy for those who made it there, because you'd want them to be happy for you. Be understanding of the process, knowing that by the time they even reach their POE the process has barely begun for them, whereas you're over the hump for yours. There are so many k1 applicants who fall into marital problems because of the financial burden placed on them due to the fact that the government won't authorize your spouse to work for who knows how long after arrival in the US. And drivers licenses? Good luck! Half the battle is just getting people to understand that yes, you can be legally living in the US without a green card. And let's not forget the dilemma of no AP/Green Card but a family member overseas is sick/has died and you need to go home. Yes the K1 is faster but it is by no means less stressful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i know how you feel and why but as the USCIS says a visa is not guaranteed just because you are married . if it was, a lot of unwanted indivuduals would be coming in. OUrs took 6 years to get. Most of what i see from talking to others here and in Morocco and at the embassy is USCIS trys to weed out the ones just looking for "what you call wanting a visa" and those of us willing to do the work (on both sides) are successful.

/since a CR 1 is more permanent than a K 1, there is much more background work involved.

We went theu our own personal HELL waiting and my 5 trips to Morocco but i wouldn't want undesirables into the country just as i am wiling to go thru the process of security at airports now.

i wish you good luck

this is a good place to vent and ask WHY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I know everyone want their other half to be united with them but I find if unfair that people like myself who file our I-130 for our spouse have to wait longer for a scheduled interview than people who do the K1 visa. It just seem so unfair that some of these K1 visa applicants can get through so quickly and they don't even have a strong marital union. Some if not most of these cases are just for green card purposes. My point is how can these cases be approved for interviews while people who have I-130 cannot get a schedule interview more quickly. I am speaking on behalf of the marital unions who have been married for sometime and have to prove that our marriage is indeed true and not some quick made up (untrue) union. Why is it our interview approval get such a long waiting time as oppose to K1 visa applicants. We need our spouse with us in the states too and the process should either be less than K1 visa applicants or the same.

Pray to God to help thought this process, he hears and answers prayers talk to him. In the mean time if you can buy a ticket to to Jamaica spend a week or two, but most of all just pray!!!!

This process drived me mad but is coming to a end thank God. ???

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have adjusted from the VWP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It's like standing in the queue at the bank, in a way. The other line always looks as though it's moving faster.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.