slb1

wife wants me to support her family

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

i would prefer being married but after 2 divorces you learn, she came on a marriage visa. thanks folks for the support and advice

You need to know and figure out what to do about her moving out of city, if this will happen with or without a divorce. For legal purposes.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Wow 2 weeks later. So much for telling people thry need to be understanding and patient with their spouses due to homesickness.

Obviously you guys can talk about this and come up with a plan if she wants to help send money back. I agree you dont have to support them since youre supporting your wife, but issuing each other ultimatums within 2 weeks of arrival sounds like a control battle and divorce in the works already.

Communication is key to every relationship.

Homesickness is very real.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

i think once she gets a job, and see's how hard she has to work for so little she might have a revelation on sending money back, after all i am a cheap charley

No she won't. Post #8 nailed it. This isn't going to end well.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

i told her to get a job, pay for her car, insurance, part of household expenses. then she can send money home. i am not going to pay for all that plus send a car payment a month back to her family.i would rather be alone which i have been, i have no problem being alone anymore. I told her if she went to another city with her girl friend from her village not to look to me for any support

she is from Thailand i lived there for 6 years before moving back home

So you have known her for 6 years? WOW!! I think you didn't study her enough

What type of job she was doing there? Is she well educated to get a job in US?

How she found a good friend this sooner to trust more than her husband?

I think she was using you to enter the USA.

When you guys getting married from these countries.. you have to see from every angle... like what is 'this' country famous for

There are more witches under a beautiful skin... before she will make you a beggar... you will have to take a step. But you better not let her go that easily

I am so sorry brother...

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751: August 4, 2018

Received by California ofis : August 6, 2018

NOA1 date : August 29, 2018

Biometrics date : March 29, 2019

You would rather be alone? Why did you marry someone if you prefer being alone? That was a little silly.

The fact that she sprung this on you almost immediately after settling down in the U.S. does make me question whether or not this is really just a cultural difference or something more.

There are plenty of cases where things like this are due to the emphasis on family ties and the responsibility for taking care of your parents that is present in many east Asian cultures. That being said, there are also cases where the immigrant spouse and/or their family is intentionally using the USC for financial support. It's nearly impossible to tell either way for sure, especially with the limited information you have provided us. Either way, discussing things like this BEFORE marriage and immigration would have been a smart thing to do.

I would hold off on giving any money for now, and see how she reacts. It may help you figure out which of the two situations you are in.

I agree.

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

I am always surprised at people who are willing to jump on a foreign spouse for fraud when a US spouse comes here to complain. We hear one snippet of a conversation (heated argument most likely) obviously angled to garner sympathy and wham, the other person must have alternative motives from the get go. Sigh...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I am always surprised at people who are willing to jump on a foreign spouse for fraud when a US spouse comes here to complain. We hear one snippet of a conversation (heated argument most likely) obviously angled to garner sympathy and wham, the other person must have alternative motives from the get go. Sigh...

Normally I would say "It's pretty obvious what's going on here" but this time I agree that so many people on here is making a pretty colorful bird after the discovery of a grey feather. We don't know enough in this situation though sending money was a very bad idea.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Normally I would say "It's pretty obvious what's going on here" but this time I agree that so many people on here is making a pretty colorful bird after the discovery of a grey feather. We don't know enough in this situation though sending money was a very bad idea.

Wow, voices of reason?!?! Haha! I'm usually the one saying these things (or at least thinking them) when everyone breaks out the torches and pitchforks for threads like this.

The funny thing is, in this case I kind of agree with the pitchforks. Unless it's just talk, or she's testing you, this is obviously a bad sign. If within two weeks of arriving she's serious about leaving the OP behind in order to get work in another city so she can support family, then it's pretty clear her priority isn't the marriage.

Maybe she's issuing an ulimatum, fear, or homesickness response (perhaps family pressure) in response to his control issues?

Unless we hear the entire conversation we dont know! I'm sure my husband could easily put in snippets of our arguments and vice versa and have a forum in an uproar either way. But instead we work it out like married in love adults and communicate with each other.

i would prefer being married but after 2 divorces you learn, she came on a marriage visa. thanks folks for the support and advice

You have had two divorces in the past and you still didn't talk about things like this preemptively?

Even if she is intentionally using you, I feel like some of the responsibility falls on you for not taking the obvious steps and getting to know your wife.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

I have quite a few friends and colleagues from Asia, mainly Thailand, India, Pakistan and the Philippines, and culturally, families there are suppose to help and support each other. It's a much stronger cultural "demand" than what we're used to in most Western countries. And if your wife doesn't work right now, obviously, that expectation of support falls on the husband.

Not all Asian people expect their so-called 'rich' foreign spouses to support the poor Asian families.

It should be appreciated but not expected.

It is all about the mindset.

Some culture just have a strong 'leech mentality'.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.