slb1

wife wants me to support her family

75 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have regularly supported my wife while we where apart. But after being here in the USA for 2 weeks she now wants me to keep sending money to support her family. My answer is you can get a job, help pay for your car and insurance and household share and if you want or have any left you can send it home. Her answer was i want to go with friend in another city to work, my answer ok is tomorrow to soon. How many of you have gone through this major cultural change with a spouse before.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

For me this looks more than a cultural difference/change. However, you have the right to agree or not to send money to her family. Saying No will not make you a bad person, especially that you are supporting her. We all work and have bills and know how it is. Regarding her moving to another city with friends, thats up to you.

Edited by azzein

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

I am not trying to be mean in anyway and I totally understand that some families need to be supported and I encourage that to be done. But even if there is money left in the budget, its up to him to decide whether to send or not. If he did, that would be nice, if he didnt, that wont make him bad.

I totally agree. As I said, she was supposed to discuss that before they got married. In this situation he has no obligations (since he didn't make any promises before marriage), it's his free will, and he should not feel guilty if he decides not to support them.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

If shes here only since 2 weeks, then she might be feeling bad about her family and missing them, she might be experiencing some emotional issues due to being away from home and family. Try to talk to her and explain her about bills and life expenses.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Timeline

i told her to get a job, pay for her car, insurance, part of household expenses. then she can send money home. i am not going to pay for all that plus send a car payment a month back to her family.i would rather be alone which i have been, i have no problem being alone anymore. I told her if she went to another city with her girl friend from her village not to look to me for any support

she is from Thailand i lived there for 6 years before moving back home

Timeline

i think once she gets a job, and see's how hard she has to work for so little she might have a revelation on sending money back, after all i am a cheap charley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.