kmg617

New reality show about K1 visa (merged)

323 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I tuned in last night simply because I wasn't ready for bed and still feeling good from watching Downton Abbey. I'm gonna give it a chance, but thus far, I'm a little disappointed. I knew that they would play up the drama part of it, because that's what TLC does. But, my god!

I don't know much about the K-1 visa, but, I was under the impression that you already know each other enough and have decided to get married. And you are supposed to use that 90 days to plan the wedding and assimilate to your new life. Not, an "I'm coming to the US to get to know you visa." Maybe I'm wrong.

I forget which couple it was, but one of the girls had applied for a work visa and was denied and the family is looking down on that and they are saying that it's going to be a red-flag with the government. But, from what I know, work visas are extremely rare, right? And it shouldn't have any influence on their case. (Actually, I thought that once you are in the country on a K-1, you're done with the government, just adjusting your status?). Just typical TLC drama.

Then, they chose women (why?) from seemingly "high fraud countries." Ugh.

Biggest of all, the first episode is "I got my visa." Where it should have been "I waited a year, got checklists, rfe's, denials, and paid money up the wazoo, but we did it!"

That being said, I'll watch it next week. :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

At the advice of sandranj I recorded on TiVo and watched this show. The main thing that struck me the most was how short these relationships seemed to be with little pre-verification of beneficiary's background.

I knew my ex's family for 20 years, and I knew her for 8 years. And I still got scammed!

I don't think K-1's need to go away, but I do think the disclosure by the US Gov't about scam risk and verifying paperwork needs to change.

When you respond, post up if you watched the show and what you thought. Thanks!

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

This is already talked about in the off-topic forum.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

At the advice of sandranj I recorded on TiVo and watched this show. The main thing that struck me the most was how short these relationships seemed to be with little pre-verification of beneficiary's background.They met online or a trip then chatted for a year online. One guy said we only spent 2 weeks together.

I knew my ex's family for 20 years, and I knew her for 8 years. And I still got scammed!

I don't think K-1's need to go away, but I do think the disclosure by the US Gov't about scam risk and verifying paperwork needs to change.

You want some good reality TV? Get some USC's like myself who got scammed. I guarantee you the VAWA petitioner's for the most part wouldn't go on TV. I wanna go on TV!!! I want to testify in congress man! Where is 60 minutes when you need some good investigavtive reporting?

So far this show is a joke. I do agree on the toughness of the friends and family is some part because most people are skeptical of these relationships. I had people asking me "so, you got a mail order bride?" My response was, "I'm a decent looking, well to do professional. Do you really think I need a mail order bride?" I married someone I thought I knew. If a professional health care provider with 20 years of experience can get scammed...what is going to happen with the average Joe or Jane?

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

good.gif Makes for dramatic TV/ good ratings. And yes, I'll probably watch at least another episode, but I can;t see me watching a whole series of this.

I am a bit surprised they all go on about 90 days not being enough. Is it short? Sure. But they all knew about it, and they were supposed to be ready to marry BEFORE they go for the visa.

Anyone else notice most of the (all female!) fiancees are way shorter than their US male partners?

the focus on the 90 days

is to

see if they want to get married,

which is a fallacy.

idiots.

Exactly what my husband said, it wasn't like they didn't know they only had 90 days. This show is produced by a Canadian company who really have no clue what the visa is all about.

I absolutely loathe Canadien production companies working in the USA for TV stuff. cable tv is chock full o them.

Now THATs a nice work-visa angle,right there !!!

I think my biggest oh the horror moment was when the USC's mom was talking about the family joke being don't go bringing a woman back when you go there. How would you like someone with so little tact as a mother in law?

Exlax-imbued chocolate brownies. Each and every time, that's my answer to braindead humans.

Keeps them out of sight for a bit.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You kept using the word "scammed". You need to realize that for some "modern" women, marriage is like a commodity. After a certain period of time, its value will deappreciate. Once you've lost your appeal to her (for most cases, it will be monetary related issues), don't expect her to commit her loyalty to you. She will find someone else that appears to present greater "value" to her than you.

Knowing someone for a long period of time doesn't prevent you from being scammed by that person. Here's the reason why:

"A scorpion is trying to tempt a frog to allow him to ride on the frog's back so it can cross a river. The frog told the scorpion "Are you serious? I know what you love. As soon as you get on my back, you would sting me!" The scorpion replied "Why would I do such stupid thing? I would drown as result if you got stung by me." The frog thought for a second and replied "Make sense. You've convinced me. Hop on my back and hold on tight"

In the middle of the river, the frog felt a sharp pain on its back. It knew right away what just happened. The frog turned to the scorpion and asked "Why you did that after assuring me before we started to cross the river?"

The scorpion told the frog "I'm sorry Froggie but I can't help it. IT'S MY NATURE!"

So you are saying that it is a woman's "nature" to scam someone and treat marriage as a commodity? If that is how you think your a sad and cynical person. So if a guy screws around, well,mt hat is "in his nature" as his spouse has lost value over the years so men go search for someme younger or more beautiful. so by your commodity logic this behavior should be expected? I think you need to find some different people to date/hang out with that this behavior would be considered "expected" . Real Love is not a commodity... It is not dependent on the money you make, and it grows and changes over the years, but is not a commodity that you measure in growth or loss/gain In Value... Maybe you have had the unfortunate experience with a "modern" aka.. Selfish woman that was not really in love with you and for that I am truly sad... But to categorize it as expected behavior is selling yourself and woman and the joy of love very short. I won't even go into less "modern" thoughts about how marriage was looked upon historically, not for love, but for power, bloodlines, territory etc... Where families used marriage and the dowry to consolidate the wealth and control. So the modern notion for marriage for love shoukd be celebrated in the fact that it is mostly the way things are Done now.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The show should be called 90 Days to Marry not 90 Day Fiance. Its not like a trial run and these people don't know what they have to do...... I was hoping that the show was going to be following couples from the beginning of their filing, all of the waiting, something that had to do with the interview, possible AP issues, to the actual issuance of their visas and eventual weddings in the US.... granted it would take a lot of time to produce a show like that but atleast it would be more along the lines of reality. I have yet to watch show but will probably catch it on-demand. The commercial I saw tonight didn't make it look all that promising.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Some recent posts in this thread have nothing to do with the topic. Either discuss the topic or do not post, thread bans will follow for any additional off topic posts.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Two off topic posts removed and one member thread banned

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Has anyone watched the first episode of the new show "90 Day Fiance" on TLC? My sister informed me about it, thinking I would like since I am going through the K1 visa process.

As of now there are 3 couple and the petitioners are all females. Their stories are pretty interesting.

Any perspectives?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I did watch the show but i thought there is more show than reality to it . But it is nice to watch

event.png
K1 journey
- 31 october 2013: sent I-129f package
- 06 november 2013: NOA1Hardcopy
- 12 november 2013: alien registration number changed
- 21 March 2014: NOA2 E-mail
- 27 March 2014: NOA2 Hardcopy
- 09 Apri 2014: Case sent to NVC
- 02 May 2014: Pack 3 received
- 07 May 2014: Pack 3 send
- 10 May 2014: Pack 4 received
- 13 May 2014: Medical
- 27 May 2014: Interview ( approved )

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would posit that

if your sister watched an entire episode,

then thought of you

and recommend that you watch it...

She's not thinking so highly of you,

as the couples chosen to be on the TV

are train-wrecks about to happen.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think there is one couple that doesnt look like a train wreck. But in their defense im sure having a natural conversation while the world is watching is probably a bit tricky.

Citizenship:

Service Center: Online
CIS Office :         San Diego CA
Date Filed :         2018-07-13
NOA Date :         2018-07-20
Bio. Appt. :         2018-07-31
Interview Date:  2018-04-12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

No she had not watched the episode, just saw that there was a show about people going through the k1 visa process.

I def. Agree more show than reality as with most all reality shows. I just thought it was interesting, a show about what we are all going to (hopefully) eventually go through.

I can only imagine the stress and anxiety involved with being on national television while going through this process.

The Columbian woman and man from Oklahoma seemed to be the most legit of the groups.

I just want to find out the "where are they now" part.