kmg617

New reality show about K1 visa (merged)

323 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For those who have no idea what the show is:

http://starcasm.net/archives/256059

I find it interesting based from what I read on that article. I have yet to watch it before I can make any comments. Oh look one of them is from the Philippines! I'd love to see this show :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Pretty rude cause I'm not from the phillipines I generally love my fiancée, I'm from the UK and a lot of people think it's only poor people in poor countries trying to get into America through some cheaply run website where old men buy their brides, stupid people everywhere. Doesn't embarrass me at all my friends and family know, I'm not trying to escape a ####### country or take advantage of an American like some.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Pretty rude cause I'm not from the phillipines I generally love my fiancée, I'm from the UK and a lot of people think it's only poor people in poor countries trying to get into America through some cheaply run website where old men buy their brides, stupid people everywhere. Doesn't embarrass me at all my friends and family know, I'm not trying to escape a ####### country or take advantage of an American like some.

Please tell me I am misunderstanding you and that you are not trying to say that 'poor people in poor countries' cannot generally(genuinely?) love their fiance(e)s.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please tell me I am misunderstanding you and that you are not trying to say that 'poor people in poor countries' cannot generally(genuinely?) love their fiance(e)s.

No I was trying to explain that's how people look at it, trust I've been narrow minded before when I was young seeing an old man in the UK with a wife in her 20s but when you get older and it happens to you, only then do you understand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Watching the show i couldn't imagne how tough it would be to start a marriage and a huge life change while being filmed.... I would not do something so intrusive durring such a delicate time in a relationship. Some of the relationships on the show come off as akward and not quite genuine, but you can't tell if it's due to the shock of a totaly new environment, the akwardness of being filmed or just being uncomfortable with one another. Im interested to see how these relationships go. Its so nice to see something I'm going thru to be documented and shown on TLC. It's somehow comforting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No I was trying to explain that's how people look at it, trust I've been narrow minded before when I was young seeing an old man in the UK with a wife in her 20s but when you get older and it happens to you, only then do you understand.

Ok, good. Glad the misunderstanding is clear now. smile.png

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I just watched this for the first time and it actually made me angry. These people are acting like they just met and decided to get married and they haven't spent any time together, Skype, chatting, etc. And the producers are making the K-1 process look like it's a short amount of time to process. I think TLC is doing the whole Visa process a HUGE injustice with this show.

Just my opinion.

Its more a show of international relationships than it is about a visa process. In fact the visa process has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just focusing on how the couples get along, despite cultural differences, is actually interesting. I've watched both episodes so far, and its nice to see how these relationships evolve. How do the foreign fiancees adjust to being in the US. What do the american men do to help their fiancees in the adjustment process.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Two off topic posts removed, stick to discussing the topic.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I have watched the show and I think it's total Reality TV and not based on the challenges many of us here go through and or have gone through getting a K-1. They never mention how long and hard it was to get that far really except a mention of remortgaging a home, which unfamiliar viewers could easily assume meant flights and hotels and not fees and medicals, etc. That said it's interesting to follow along and I want to see what happens so I guess for now I am hooked on another ####### reality TV show.

Here is my take and opinion on the people so far and remember these are just my own personal opinions based only on what I’ve seen in the show so far. Obviously I do not know anyone personally and I am interested to hear what others think as well:

Mike and Aziza - I am very worried about Mike. I believe Mike loves her very much and desperately wants things to work well. He seems a nice/normal and caring enough guy. He even made room in his closet for her! 10 Points there. I think Aziza likes him as a friend but I dont think she loves him nor do I feel she has interest in anything remotely intimate with him both now and or after the wedding. The fact that she asked "What are you doing?" when he was just trying to kiss her is one big Red Flag for me. Even if she is more traditional and reserving sex for marriage I would expect that at least kissing her fiance is something she would want to do... and a lot too! I have a very unsettled feeling about this one but I will reserve judgment for now.

Kirlyam and Alan - Let me start by saying that I think Kirlyam is adorable and quite obviously stunning. I believe she loves Alan very much but I am worried about culture shock for this girl. She seems a little young and fragile, so it is a bit early to say if she will muscle through and become comfortable here in America. I know she is homesick, but she will eventually get to visit family again (post AP) and this will help a lot in that regard. I do not believe she wants a greencard for the sake of getting a greencard. If anything I think she would happily go home if things tanked. As for Alan, I am a little more reserved about my opinion of him. He has already been portrayed in a not so favorable light in my opinion. I get a strong controlling and a jealous sense from him that leaves me slightly uneasy. That said, I do believe he also loves Kirlyam whole heartedly and wants what he believes is best for her. He also seems to be taking good care of her and makes a strong effort to help her learn and strengthen her English.

Paola and Russ – Paola is a total firecracker! She is definitely in for culture shock and we are already seeing it. I think the greencard will make her very happy BUT I don’t think it is her motive. I think she loves Russ and wants to marry him… and live ALONE lol! She is going to get more settled and comfortable in her new surroundings and pretty soon she will not be as reserved as she’s expected to be and this is going to bring out some interesting moments and situation to overcome. Russ loves her too and has a challenge ahead of him trying to keep his family and friends happy and his fiancé happy too. I think this is going to prove difficult for Russ as time passes and I wish him well because I think for now and what I have seen so far they probably could make for a fun couple.

Aya and Louis – We have only just been introduced to these two so there isn’t too much to ascertain yet. So far it looks like they both do love each other. Clearly he loves her as he has shown some sincere emotion regarding it and has two young boys to consider in his decision. I think it is degrading that people are referring to Aya as a “Mail Order Bride” Just because people meet online and fall in love doesn’t make that person mail order. Match.com and other sites hook up people from California to people in Florida. They chat online and maybe meet for 2 weeks a couple times a year, does that make the girl mail order?! Is it because she is from the Philippines? Look, we all know there are people out there looking to scam a lonely heart and get a Greencard (both women AND Men). That just makes them cruel and dishonest. Hopefully when we learn more about Aya and Louis we can see better where hearts and intentions lie. In the meantime having to deal with the ex-wife will be a challenge but she is the mother of his kids and therefore a part of his and her life until at least they are out and on their own… probably beyond. This one will be interesting as well. Hopefully the children and Aya will adjust.

Edited by little_g

7y6qm4.png
.....................................................................................................................................................
ROC Journey
09/23/13 - Sent I-751 Packet

09/27/13 - Received NOA1

10/07/13 - Received Biometrics Letter, appt sched for 10/31

10/09/13 - Received Transfer Notice. Case transferred to CSC Dated 10/08/13

10/31/13 - Attended Biometrics

02/18/14 - Approved!

02/26/14- 10 Year GC received!! exp. 2024!!

.....................................................................................................................................................

AOS Journey
8/13/11 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131 Petitions off together
8/18/11 - Received Email NOA1 for all three petitions
8/24/11 - Received Biometrics Appointment
9/13/11 - Had Biometrics Appointment
10/19/11 - EAD/AP Approval Text/Email / 10/27/11 - EAD/AP Card Received in Mail!
11/18/11 - Interview Text/Email for Dec 21st!
12/21/11 - Interviewed & APPROVED!
12/27/11 - Welcome to USA Letter & GC Received!!

K-1 Visa Journey
1/06/11 - Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox
1/07/11 - Packet received and sent on to VT
1/10/11 - NOA1 / 1/14/11 - NOA1 arrived by mail
5/09/11 - NOA2!! (Took 119 Days) / 5/12/11 - NOA2 arrived by mail
5/17/11 - NVC Received
5/18/11 - NVC Sent
5/20/11 - Embassy Received
6/11/11 - Packet 3 Sent
6/14/11 - Packet 3 signed for by someone called "KOKO"
6/15/11 - Medical / 6/20/11 - Medical Logged
6/23/11 - Packet 3 Logged
6/30/11 - Packet 4 Received (with original interview date of 7/25)
7/04/11 - Packet 4 Received (with new interview date of 7/13)
7/13/11 - Interview!! APPROVED!!!
7/15/11 - Visa in Hand
7/29/11 - POE JFK

8/06/11 - Wedding Day!
heart.gif

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

My wife keeps yelling at the television "Kirlyam go home!!!!" I plan on making it a drinking game by episode 3.

That said. This show is terrible. Uniformly god-awful.

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

We're watching the show too. While it isn't a good representation of what the K1 visa process is like, I don't have anything against most of the people involved.

You are saying the same thing we said about most of them

Mike and Aziza - this one is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Kirlyam and Alan- we really like this couple. I think she will do just fine, she clearly loves him. But if he's too possessive and jealous, it could get ugly.

Paola and Russ - I really, really thought he was gay.

Aya and Louis - I like this couple so far. Plus, when the grandmother told him to be a good husband - that was real.

We'll probably keep watching.

I have watched the show and I think it's total Reality TV and not based on the challenges many of us here go through and or have gone through getting a K-1. They never mention how long and hard it was to get that far really except a mention of remortgaging a home, which unfamiliar viewers could easily assume meant flights and hotels and not fees and medicals, etc. That said it's interesting to follow along and I want to see what happens so I guess for now I am hooked on another ####### reality TV show.

Here is my take and opinion on the people so far and remember these are just my own personal opinions based only on what I’ve seen in the show so far. Obviously I do not know anyone personally and I am interested to hear what others think as well:

Mike and Aziza - I am very worried about Mike. I believe Mike loves her very much and desperately wants things to work well. He seems a nice/normal and caring enough guy. He even made room in his closet for her! 10 Points there. I think Aziza likes him as a friend but I dont think she loves him nor do I feel she has interest in anything remotely intimate with him both now and or after the wedding. The fact that she asked "What are you doing?" when he was just trying to kiss her is one big Red Flag for me. Even if she is more traditional and reserving sex for marriage I would expect that at least kissing her fiance is something she would want to do... and a lot too! I have a very unsettled feeling about this one but I will reserve judgment for now.

Kirlyam and Alan - Let me start by saying that I think Kirlyam is adorable and quite obviously stunning. I believe she loves Alan very much but I am worried about culture shock for this girl. She seems a little young and fragile, so it is a bit early to say if she will muscle through and become comfortable here in America. I know she is homesick, but she will eventually get to visit family again (post AP) and this will help a lot in that regard. I do not believe she wants a greencard for the sake of getting a greencard. If anything I think she would happily go home if things tanked. As for Alan, I am a little more reserved about my opinion of him. He has already been portrayed in a not so favorable light in my opinion. I get a strong controlling and a jealous sense from him that leaves me slightly uneasy. That said, I do believe he also loves Kirlyam whole heartedly and wants what he believes is best for her. He also seems to be taking good care of her and makes a strong effort to help her learn and strengthen her English.

Paola and Russ – Paola is a total firecracker! She is definitely in for culture shock and we are already seeing it. I think the greencard will make her very happy BUT I don’t think it is her motive. I think she loves Russ and wants to marry him… and live ALONE lol! She is going to get more settled and comfortable in her new surroundings and pretty soon she will not be as reserved as she’s expected to be and this is going to bring out some interesting moments and situation to overcome. Russ loves her too and has a challenge ahead of him trying to keep his family and friends happy and his fiancé happy too. I think this is going to prove difficult for Russ as time passes and I wish him well because I think for now and what I have seen so far they probably could make for a fun couple.

Aya and Louis – We have only just been introduced to these two so there isn’t too much to ascertain yet. So far it looks like they both do love each other. Clearly he loves her as he has shown some sincere emotion regarding it and has two young boys to consider in his decision. I think it is degrading that people are referring to Aya as a “Mail Order Bride” Just because people meet online and fall in love doesn’t make that person mail order. Match.com and other sites hook up people from California to people in Florida. They chat online and maybe meet for 2 weeks a couple times a year, does that make the girl mail order?! Is it because she is from the Philippines? Look, we all know there are people out there looking to scam a lonely heart and get a Greencard (both women AND Men). That just makes them cruel and dishonest. Hopefully when we learn more about Aya and Louis we can see better where hearts and intentions lie. In the meantime having to deal with the ex-wife will be a challenge but she is the mother of his kids and therefore a part of his and her life until at least they are out and on their own… probably beyond. This one will be interesting as well. Hopefully the children and Aya will adjust.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Don't forget to go on TLC's website to see the online only webisodes for the 5th couple, Len & Alina.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/videos/len-alina-exclusive-webisodes.htm

Paola and Russ - I really, really thought he was gay.

OMG!! My husband and I said the same thing about Russ! rofl.gif

Now to toss out my P.C. statement here: If he is gay, I don't care. I personally don’t have any issues with a person’s sexual preference. But in the context of the situation it would be a show stopper.

7y6qm4.png
ROC Journey
09/23/13 - Sent I-751 Packet

09/27/13 - Received NOA1

10/07/13 - Received Biometrics Letter, appt sched for 10/31

10/09/13 - Received Transfer Notice. Case transferred to CSC Dated 10/08/13

10/31/13 - Attended Biometrics

02/18/14 - Approved!

02/26/14- 10 Year GC received!! exp. 2024!!

AOS Journey
8/13/11 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131 Petitions off together
8/18/11 - Received Email NOA1 for all three petitions
8/24/11 - Received Biometrics Appointment
9/13/11 - Had Biometrics Appointment
10/19/11 - EAD/AP Approval Text/Email / 10/27/11 - EAD/AP Card Received in Mail!
11/18/11 - Interview Text/Email for Dec 21st!
12/21/11 - Interviewed & APPROVED!
12/27/11 - Welcome to USA Letter & GC Received!!

K-1 Visa Journey
1/06/11 - Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox
1/07/11 - Packet received and sent on to VT
1/10/11 - NOA1 / 1/14/11 - NOA1 arrived by mail
5/09/11 - NOA2!! (Took 119 Days) / 5/12/11 - NOA2 arrived by mail
5/17/11 - NVC Received
5/18/11 - NVC Sent
5/20/11 - Embassy Received
6/11/11 - Packet 3 Sent
6/14/11 - Packet 3 signed for by someone called "KOKO"
6/15/11 - Medical / 6/20/11 - Medical Logged
6/23/11 - Packet 3 Logged
6/30/11 - Packet 4 Received (with original interview date of 7/25)
7/04/11 - Packet 4 Received (with new interview date of 7/13)
7/13/11 - Interview!! APPROVED!!!
7/15/11 - Visa in Hand
7/29/11 - POE JFK

8/06/11 - Wedding Day!
heart.gif