Ambster

Happy Couple turned to Unhappy

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband and I dated for over a year before we were married 75% of it was spent apart waiting on the visa. We were very happy and spoke all the time and had a healthy relationship. When he finally was approved and moved here things fell off. He told me that he was homesick 2 days after being here. I didn't understand it. He had been here the whole summer and spent plenty of time here, he knew what he was getting into. He finally got approved to work and started making friends and joined a football team. But our marriage is falling apart. We barely speak. We barely know each other. When we do talk its fighting. He started texting another woman, denies a relationship with her says they are just friends. I'm unsure what to believe but it is tearing me up inside. He told me if things do not start changing between us, we will not last. I agree. I told him if things do not work out, he has to go home. He got mad at me because he wants to stay here!!!

What should I do?

Is there anyone out there that feels the same?

Please help me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

was he born in the UK, or elsewhere?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Sorry you're going through this.

It seems like he wants counseling - I think it's a good idea.

:thumbs:

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I dated for over a year before we were married 75% of it was spent apart waiting on the visa. We were very happy and spoke all the time and had a healthy relationship. When he finally was approved and moved here things fell off. He told me that he was homesick 2 days after being here. I didn't understand it. He had been here the whole summer and spent plenty of time here, he knew what he was getting into. He finally got approved to work and started making friends and joined a football team. But our marriage is falling apart. We barely speak. We barely know each other. When we do talk its fighting. He started texting another woman, denies a relationship with her says they are just friends. I'm unsure what to believe but it is tearing me up inside. He told me if things do not start changing between us, we will not last. I agree. I told him if things do not work out, he has to go home. He got mad at me because he wants to stay here!!!

What should I do?

Is there anyone out there that feels the same?

Please help me.

Ignoring immigration - yes I have felt the same. Tony and I are totally fine, i'm referring to my ex. We dated for almost 3 years. The first 1 1/2 - 2 years we lived in separate places. When we moved in together THAT was the end of our relationship. Living apart was totally different. When we saw each other we were on "good" behaviour, or as it turned out HE was. Once we moved in together all his little behaviours started to come out. He wanted me to be his mother basically. He wouldn't do anything all day (he had finished school and was waiting for grad school to start) and i'd come home from a full day at work to have to clean, get the mail, do the bins etc etc. He was just LAZY. That is why I strong advise anyone who thinks their relationship is "great" to first move in together, that's the real relationship test.

When you involve immigration you have to take the plunge and decide to help them immigrate in order to be together. You can't hold his status against him (it's against the rules actually) and of course he doesn't like it. He's trying to make his life here and you're challenging that security. You wouldn't like it if he said the same to you if you had moved to the UK and were starting to make your life there.

If your relationship doesn't work it's easy to be upset and want him to go "home", return to how things were before you "brought him here" but unless you think he married you for fake reasons, and unless you think he used you to immigrate here and you have PROOF there's nothing you can do. I'm sorry your relationship isn't working but it might not have even if immigration wasn't an issue so again, unless you have proof it's just another break-up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He can't be too homesick if he doesn't want to go back.

Exactly. He isn't homesick.

I'll respectfully disagree with some of the decent posters that have given the benefit of the doubt on homesickness. Were it true, their statements about it would be accurate. But I don't believe it. Counseling only helps if he is honest in the counseling sessions, and if his intentions are bad then he'll just lie. But the one thing counseling will do is put an impartial referee in there to help prevent a lot of the manipulative behavior.

Think carefully about any red flags you saw up to this point. Was there anything that gave you a gut feeling something was wrong and it was explained away? I'd want to know what is in those text messages to the girl too. If she's "just a friend" then there isn't any need whatsoever to conceal what is in those messages.

Wow, this sounds like how things were for Glyn and I when we first got here in the states and we had been married and living together in the UK already for awhile. To those of you who say he isn't homesick...BS....unless you have been through it yourself, you don't understand. Luckily I had been through it already when Glyn went through it here. You can make friends and have a life and still be terribly homesick.

The thing with the woman he's texting, if it makes you uncomfortable...talk to him. Talk, no accusations no screaming. They may just be friends, but it you're having issues in the relationship, its honestly not the best time for him to be having close female friends as its too easy to get what he needs emotionally from this friend.

Someone suggested counseling and I agree completely. The strain the immigration process puts on us all is crazy. Add to that the dream of finally being together forever not measuring up to the reality of day to day living is quite a shock. Then for the person that moved....everything is different and nothing is really home yet. Its terribly hard and I am sure most if not all of us go through these issues when we are finally together.

Good luck and keep trying. Remember the love you felt for this man when you married him and try you're hardest to bring it all back.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

I moved to Sweden for a year to be with Lars and I can tell you from personal experience - being homesick is just about the worst feeling ever. We got through it. To everyone on this board that has left their entire life to come here to be with someone, you are my hero. It was the hardest thing I ever did and I have so much admiration for the strength it must take to stay here and work through it. I was lucky, I got to come home and he still wanted to come home with me!

Lars has periods of homesickness and it has led to some strange behavior on his part, but we work through it and staying busy does help. So does talking about it. He had a lot of patience with me when I was in Sweden and I have to remind myself of that sometimes.

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

I just want to say that by reading everyone's post, I kinda learn a lot. Weighing what everyone has to say, it gives you some sense of wisdom. It's like the "that make sense" moment. :). Although I dont have the same experience as the OP, but it can shed some light to other readers. So I just want to say thanks for everyone taking their time w/ their opinion and experiences. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think some patience and compassion would help you a lot. There is a huge difference between visiting and moving. I am already freaking out about starting my new life in California, even though it's not hugely different from Canada. Giving up your job, friends, and security will definitely make someone homesick and depressed. Things should get easier as he makes his new life. It sounds like he was miserable missing his home/work/friends but has made an effort to establish a new life here and it doesn't sound like you're making yourself involved in it. I definitely think counseling will help. Try and become involved in his life by going out with his friends or going to a place he likes. I hope things work out for you two.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly. He isn't homesick.

I'll respectfully disagree with some of the decent posters that have given the benefit of the doubt on homesickness. Were it true, their statements about it would be accurate. But I don't believe it. Counseling only helps if he is honest in the counseling sessions, and if his intentions are bad then he'll just lie. But the one thing counseling will do is put an impartial referee in there to help prevent a lot of the manipulative behavior.

Think carefully about any red flags you saw up to this point. Was there anything that gave you a gut feeling something was wrong and it was explained away? I'd want to know what is in those text messages to the girl too. If she's "just a friend" then there isn't any need whatsoever to conceal what is in those messages.

Sorry, but I disagree. Although it is a possibility, it sounds more like he is adjusting to a new life. If I gave up my job/friends/family and moved across the world and then worked really hard to reestablish my life by getting a new job and friends I don't think I would give it up so easily. It's really hard to transplant yourself into a foreign country and it's hard to just abandon a job you bust your butt at.

One of the hardest things I have ever had to do is quit my job to move to the US. Why? I worked really hard to make my store the best selling store in my province and one of the top stores in Western Canada. I put most of my time into making the store a success, building friendships and loyalty from my customers, and training my staff to do the same in my absence. When I quit, my company decided to hand the store off to a new person who I believe will not have the same success. I take pride in my work and it's very hard to give that up. If my marriage doesn't work out (which I doubt) and I have another successful career I don't think I would give it up so easily and return home unless I had very strong reasons for doing so.

Just an example.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.