SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, SadFace said:

Thank you!!!

It so stresfull to fill all these and seems imposible, you helped mea lot :)

You got this! ... I know it's all a bit much with immigration and kids and so on. 

Where in the country are you guys and how old are your kids?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, SadFace said:

Im from Russia, and twins are 6 years old. It is so hard for them, they need friends

At least they are not so old.

Sign them up for summer camps there are heaps ones and I promise it will help them.

There are all kinds of camps! 

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi everyone :)

I'm just putting all the paperwork together to file for AOS (K-1 and K-2 8yo).

I have one question, for the form I-485 for my K-2, Part 4 (information about parents) --given the fact that I was a single parent/sole custody, and only my name on her birth certificate, biological father is past relationship and we were never married-- should I just leave one parent info blank (the father's) or should I put my USC now-husband (then-fiancée) / now-stepfather to my daughter?

Thank you in advance ;) 

Have a great day!!

Filed: Timeline
14 minutes ago, JT4 said:

Hi everyone :)

I'm just putting all the paperwork together to file for AOS (K-1 and K-2 8yo).

I have one question, for the form I-485 for my K-2, Part 4 (information about parents) --given the fact that I was a single parent/sole custody, and only my name on her birth certificate, biological father is past relationship and we were never married-- should I just leave one parent info blank (the father's) or should I put my USC now-husband (then-fiancée) / now-stepfather to my daughter?

Thank you in advance ;) 

Have a great day!!

Hi JT4!

Has your husband legally adopted your daughter? If he has, then I would put his information down.

If he hasn't, then I would put ONLY your information down because you are on the birth certificate and legally the only parent. HOWEVER, I know that when I brought my wife and her son (from a previous relationship, she was the only one on the birth certificate), to the USA - she had to get an affidavit/sworn statement that the biological father was not a part of the family and that she had SOLE custody of the child. It appears that you already have sole custody, but I think it's important you get that in writing if you haven't already. She got this statement from the village chief AND the police. A local authority/court should be able to do this for you if you bring sufficient proof.

This statement really helps for a couple of reasons:

1) It makes it clear that you are not taking the child away from the biological father, but rather that she is, has been, and always will be SOLELY your responsibility. It's just reassuring to present to customs/authority figures with official documentation that you 100% have sole custody of your child without ANY dispute. 

2) If your husband wants to adopt your daughter in the future, this makes it much easier!

I hope that clears things up. Good luck!!

Edited by JonGalt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
5 hours ago, JonGalt said:

Hi JT4!

Has your husband legally adopted your daughter? If he has, then I would put his information down.

If he hasn't, then I would put ONLY your information down because you are on the birth certificate and legally the only parent. HOWEVER, I know that when I brought my wife and her son (from a previous relationship, she was the only one on the birth certificate), to the USA - she had to get an affidavit/sworn statement that the biological father was not a part of the family and that she had SOLE custody of the child. It appears that you already have sole custody, but I think it's important you get that in writing if you haven't already. She got this statement from the village chief AND the police. A local authority/court should be able to do this for you if you bring sufficient proof.

This statement really helps for a couple of reasons:

1) It makes it clear that you are not taking the child away from the biological father, but rather that she is, has been, and always will be SOLELY your responsibility. It's just reassuring to present to customs/authority figures with official documentation that you 100% have sole custody of your child without ANY dispute. 

2) If your husband wants to adopt your daughter in the future, this makes it much easier!

I hope that clears things up. Good luck!!

Hi JonGalt!!

Thank you so much!!!

Well yeah he hasn't legally adopted my daughter, so I'll just put ONLY my information then :) 

Did your wife have to get an affidavit/sworn statement when filing for AOS?

They didn't ask me anything about her biological father on the K1 interview at USem and never asked for such documents.

Do you think they'll probably ask as RFE if I filed the AOS without?

I kinda hope they won't LOL, as I'm already here and would be such a mission to get that done while away from home country, I'm from Indonesia by the way.

Once again, thank you so much!

Have a wonderful evening!

Filed: Timeline
21 hours ago, JT4 said:

Hi JonGalt!!

Thank you so much!!!

Well yeah he hasn't legally adopted my daughter, so I'll just put ONLY my information then :) 

Did your wife have to get an affidavit/sworn statement when filing for AOS?

They didn't ask me anything about her biological father on the K1 interview at USem and never asked for such documents.

Do you think they'll probably ask as RFE if I filed the AOS without?

I kinda hope they won't LOL, as I'm already here and would be such a mission to get that done while away from home country, I'm from Indonesia by the way.

Once again, thank you so much!

Have a wonderful evening!

My wife did it primarily to leave her country and enter the US. If you're already here and have been talking with agents then I would not worry about it. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Very happy right now: just received the email notifications that both cards have been ordered to production!

K2 AOS approved right at the 6-month time frame, with no RFEs, no interview and no need to re-do the medical, even though it has expired by now (it hadn't when we filed). So relieved!

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Timeline
59 minutes ago, SparklePony said:

Very happy right now: just received the email notifications that both cards have been ordered to production!

K2 AOS approved right at the 6-month time frame, with no RFEs, no interview and no need to re-do the medical, even though it has expired by now (it hadn't when we filed). So relieved!

Congrats! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! I have a question on my 2 K2’s (13 & 17). I am to submit my application for AOS alone. They will file theirs in maybe 4 or 5 months due to financial matters. What will happen in such case? Thanks 

Edited by Mrs. Mays

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mrs. Mays said:

Hello! I have a question on my 2 K2’s (13 & 17). I am to submit my application for AOS alone. They will file theirs in maybe 4 or 5 months due to financial matters. What will happen in such case? Thanks 

They will be more expensive and other then that not much they will get their GC separate from yours.

It also means then they will not be able to do ROC with you and you'll have to pay for their ROC when that time comes.

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 12/15/2010 at 1:28 PM, Nadiia and Eric said:

Lets remember if the K-2 Visa for the child 15 years or more pay the same as the K-1 $985 for AOS and $85 for Biometrics for a total of $1070. It seems not to many people have to deal with over 14, so this should help those people.

hi, thanks for this..i would like to ask..i have my k2's  ages 14,13 and 7...under the question 5a. in I-485 it ask for a derivative applicant...whose name should i put in it? please help..thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
35 minutes ago, tellmewhy_1216 said:

hi, thanks for this..i would like to ask..i have my k2's  ages 14,13 and 7...under the question 5a. in I-485 it ask for a derivative applicant...whose name should i put in it? please help..thank you.

Let me go through my paperwork and see if the form has changed will let you know what I find out.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Nadiia and Eric said:

Let me go through my paperwork and see if the form has changed will let you know what I find out.

thanks @Nadiia and Eric highly appreciated this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 hours ago, Nadiia and Eric said:

The form has changed since I did my stepsons but this is what i figured out. 

If you are a derivative applicant (the spouse or unmarried

child under 21 years of age of a principal applicant), provide the

following information for the principal applicant.

Since the children are under 21 you would put in the in your information being the principal applicant not children they will be listed in Part 6.

Hope this helps.

Eric

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.