SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
19 hours ago, tellmewhy_1216 said:

hi, thanks for this..i would like to ask..i have my k2's  ages 14,13 and 7...under the question 5a. in I-485 it ask for a derivative applicant...whose name should i put in it? please help..thank you.

I filed Sept’17 for both me and my daughter, and I put my daughter (K2) 8yo as derivative applicant. I also put my information as principal applicant on her I-485.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, JT4 said:

I filed Sept’17 for both me and my daughter, and I put my daughter (K2) 8yo as derivative applicant. I also put my information as principal applicant on her I-485.

thanks @JT4. how about the alien number for the k2..should i leave it blank or i should use my alien number?..

Just now, tellmewhy_1216 said:

thanks @JT4. how about the alien number for the k2..should i leave it blank or i should use my alien number?..

by the way @JT4 hows your application..hope everything is well with you.

Timeline
1 hour ago, tellmewhy_1216 said:

by the way @JT4 hows your application..hope everything is well with you.

Just leave it blank :)

Use your A# only for yours 

they’ll get theirs when they get the first notice of action (i-797C / receipt notice)

I got my EAD+AP combo card, just waiting game now to hear anything from them 😂 (RFE or Interview Notice -if interview not waived lol)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, JT4 said:

Just leave it blank :)

Use your A# only for yours 

they’ll get theirs when they get the first notice of action (i-797C / receipt notice)

I got my EAD+AP combo card, just waiting game now to hear anything from them 😂 (RFE or Interview Notice -if interview not waived lol)

wow @JT4..they said patience is a virtue...good luck and i know your GC is on its way to its owner. Thanks for the help and guidance..take care..incase that i need to ask something about the process can i seek again for your help.. i hope you don't mind..:-) please

Timeline
4 hours ago, tellmewhy_1216 said:

wow @JT4..they said patience is a virtue...good luck and i know your GC is on its way to its owner. Thanks for the help and guidance..take care..incase that i need to ask something about the process can i seek again for your help.. i hope you don't mind..:-) please

Anytime :)

good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! I have an interview for my I-485 on Feb 26 at my local USCIS office. I would like to know if I need to bring my mom and my petitioner with me for the interview? I'm 20 years old by the way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2011 at 12:40 PM, extremerecluse said:

I thought a K2 can derive citizenship through K1 who is naturalized if they are under 18? That is what the N-600 states, I think?

I wonder if this is still being done as of today 2018?

On 8/27/2012 at 10:00 PM, islandnook23 said:

hi everyone. :) :) :) so i came to the US august 2011 with a k1 visa, married within the 90-day period, adjusted status and just got my green card last week, waited for 9 months for that precious card. my kid came on a follow-to-join k2 visa june 2012... and we are about to file his aos next month. my child's name was on the I-864 that we submitted when we filed for my AOS from k1. my affidavit of suppport was under my husband's coz he was the one working then. but my husband got laid off, so he's jobless now and i'm the one with a job. now my questions are:

1.) should i submit a new I-864 for my child's AOS? i just started working so i won't be able to submit any ITRs and all that stuff. how does that work?

2.) my child did some medical exam for school and got one immunization, and the doctor said that's all he needs. so does he still need a medical for the AOS? he also got a medical exam when before his interview in the philippines.

3.) and will the k2 AOS process take as long as mine? do they still have to do initial review, blahblah or will they just base it on the fact that mine got approved and just approve it right away??

:help: :help: :help:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Can you tell me details of how your kid’s K2 went? I need to know a lot about this since I’m going to do my daughter’s AOS

On 1/11/2016 at 1:48 PM, July28 said:

Help Help Help!!

Any input will be appreciated please.

I came in here in USA about 5 years ago . Came in under K1 Visa. I brought my 2 kids with me 7 years old and 2 years old under K2 Visa. . I adjust my status and now I am a Citizen. I have not done my kids adjustment of status due to financial reason.

Question

1. What process should I do for my kids ?do I still have to adjust their status first or just apply for citizenship now?

Did you file for the AOS of your kids already? If yes, can you tell me details of what you’ve been through and how did it go? 

Thanks!

My case probably is unique than the rest here. I came here in US together with my daughter March 2010. We both granted visa through K1 and she’s my K2. 

Here’s my timeline:

March 5, 2010- got here in US 

March 27, 2010 - got married to my fiancé 

Oct 2010 - husband and I got interviewed for Adjustment of Status - approved 

Oct 2012- field for ROC 

March 2013 - ROC approved received my 10 yr green card 

Now, here’s what happened during the time we’re adjusting my status... 

While we’re filling up the Adjustment of Status form way back in 2010 we didn’t know and we’re so dumb not to know that time that we need a separate form for my daughter. A family relative told us who claimed she know this thing... and we believe her ... told us that we didn’t need separate form for my 4 year old daughter. We listened to her. 

And me so we thought it’s all good. On the day of our AOS interview the IO asked us this:

”Where is your daughter’s AOS form?” 

We: “we thought she’s already included on mine and no need for a separate one” 

IO: No... she has to have her separate form filed here. 

We: feeling so stupid and misguided ... then we asked the IO ... “when do we need to make one for her and when’s the dead line for the submission?” 

IO: You can file it anytime, as long as her school won’t ask you any legal docs from you yet. 

He he didn’t give any details on that and he never told us when is dead line for it too. Nothing... we just didn’t ask anymore since his face seemed like he’s hungry already and wanted to get rid of us quick. We got approved and sent us out already. He’s not friendly and didn’t even smile one bit. 

Anyway, after that we talked and decided we’ll file her probably few months after this interview. But as days,weeks and months go by our marriage was being tested here and there and it slipped our minds already till we’re having financial difficulties already. Then husband cheated on me and we got separated around 2014. I didn’t file citizenship within the three year period I was married to him bec I never thought of it since I was preoccupied by stress and suffering. 2015 we got divorced and it was granted. So in those times my daughter was never adjusted. 

I remarried to a wonderful guy who treated me and daughter well and loves us and we got our own kid today. 

Now, I’m planning to file for citizenship based on a five year rule. However, I am also going to adjust my daughter who is now 13 yrs old. 

Does anyone here have similar situation as I am now? Or do you know someone who’s situation is like this too? 

I was looking for threads here about K2’s being adjusted separate from the K1. My daughter came here in US at the same time as me. So, I don’t know what should be the first thing to be done now, whether file her AOS first or file for my citizenship first before adjusting her?

I also read somewhere here that K2’s need to wait for five years before filling citizenship. Is there a possibility that she can be automatically converted to citizen if I am a citizen already before I file her AOS? Coz I’m the one adjusting her and not my ex-husband to petitioned us. The ex- husband isn’t my daughter’s biological dad fyi. I have some friends who told me before that they became automatically a citizen coz their parents granted citizenship while they were minors. This was like 20 yes ago that it happened. 

So im wondering if this is still possible at this current time? Since she’s still a minor. 

Im planning to file citizenship this year. But wondering what my first step should be? 

I also need need to know what’s the process on this since I’m filling her just now. I need to know what documents I need to attach on her AOS. Coz I know if she’s was filed the same time as me then I don’t have to worry much about these things since some docs like tax etc are attached to the K1. 

This what’s makes it confusing for us. Because I’m thinking this should be just like when I did my AOS. But I don’t know what docs that needs to be included on this? I’m lost right now 😭

We haven’t consulted lawyers yet coz we’re still trying to save money to afford one. For now this website is my Little hope in seeking some answers to my questions. 

I hope I get some guidance on this and enlightenment about our situation and suggestions and ideas which path I have to take first.  

Thanks for the the time reading this 😊

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have four children and my fifteen year old is very reluctant right now! Timescales matter, not least for him to feel he has options as he goes along.

Can I apply for AOS concurrently for all my children? ages 9,12,15,17

Permission to travel is really just for short trips right? Is this defined anywhere?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 hours ago, Helen Quail said:

I have four children and my fifteen year old is very reluctant right now! Timescales matter, not least for him to feel he has options as he goes along.

Can I apply for AOS concurrently for all my children? ages 9,12,15,17

Permission to travel is really just for short trips right? Is this defined anywhere?

Thanks

Don't really get your question? What is your 15-year-old reluctant about? Have you already AOS

Timeline
On 18/04/2018 at 9:35 PM, Georgia16 said:

Don't really get your question? What is your 15-year-old reluctant about? Have you already AOS

He wants the option of coming back to Scotland or at the very least right now to feel he can...

I gather AP is only for minimal/emergency trips?

No we just got our K1. For him how long it takes for AOS will be a determining factor in coming.

Can I apply for my children at the same time as me or do I have to wait until I have mine? My eldest is 17, 18 in July.

Timeline

My four children got their K2 now with my K1. My question - can my son ( 17) travel at a different time than us as long as its within the 6 month of the visa? Or do we all have to enter together?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
15 hours ago, Helen Quail said:

He wants the option of coming back to Scotland or at the very least right now to feel he can...

I gather AP is only for minimal/emergency trips?

No we just got our K1. For him how long it takes for AOS will be a determining factor in coming.

Can I apply for my children at the same time as me or do I have to wait until I have mine? My eldest is 17, 18 in July.

Well, it all depends on are you getting married right away when you get here? You have the 90 days but you, of course, can't send in the AOS before you are married, so the longer you are about getting married the longer time it will take for the AOS. AOS also depends on a lot of things like do you get any RFE, the state you are in and will you have an interview or not. Some get it in 3 months and others take much longer as you can see on my timeline ours took 7 months. BUT he doesn't need the AOS (Green Card) to go home. With all the kids you also apply for the EAD (work permit) they need that to get their SSN and AP for travel it comes on one card. That card will take 3-4 months from when you send it with the AOS package. Once that card comes he can go home on vacation if he would like too. 

Your other question, no he does not have to travel with you but he has to be there within the date he has to enter the US. 

Also, you write 6 months just be aware that it is 6 months from the medical but the date should be in your visa's.

Edited by Georgia16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.