SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
6 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

Well, it all depends on are you getting married right away when you get here? You have the 90 days but you, of course, can't send in the AOS before you are married, so the longer you are about getting married the longer time it will take for the AOS. AOS also depends on a lot of things like do you get any RFE, the state you are in and will you have an interview or not. Some get it in 3 months and others take much longer as you can see on my timeline ours took 7 months. BUT he doesn't need the AOS (Green Card) to go home. With all the kids you also apply for the EAD (work permit) they need that to get their SSN and AP for travel it comes on one card. That card will take 3-4 months from when you send it with the AOS package. Once that card comes he can go home on vacation if he would like too. 

Your other question, no he does not have to travel with you but he has to be there within the date he has to enter the US. 

Also, you write 6 months just be aware that it is 6 months from the medical but the date should be in your visa's.

Yes I understand.and plan to marry and file  asap.

Are trips under AP limited to one or two weeks?

Sacramento quotes about 6 months for AOS last year though I understand it's closer to 12.

It's helpful to confirm my other son can travel independently as long as it's within 6 months.

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, Helen Quail said:

Yes I understand.and plan to marry and file  asap.

Are trips under AP limited to one or two weeks?

Sacramento quotes about 6 months for AOS last year though I understand it's closer to 12.

It's helpful to confirm my other son can travel independently as long as it's within 6 months.

Thanks 

No, they are not limited but if he is in school you will most likely get in trouble if he leaves for that long.

You can't use anything "quotes" about any AOS process it really all depends.

Again be careful when you say 6 months and instead go after the date in the passport. He will have to be there for when you file the AOS so if you plan to file asap then it won't work for him to come later if you file for his AOS with you.

Timeline
21 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

No, they are not limited but if he is in school you will most likely get in trouble if he leaves for that long.

You can't use anything "quotes" about any AOS process it really all depends.

Again be careful when you say 6 months and instead go after the date in the passport. He will have to be there for when you file the AOS so if you plan to file asap then it won't work for him to come later if you file for his AOS with you.

I understand about school but he  ( my 15 year old who want to be able to visit back) may be in charter/home school.

I also understand timescales vary hugely. Our K1 took 12 months, not 5- 10.

I don't know what you mean by "go after the date in the passport".

Can I file at the same time for my children? Even the 17 ( almost 18 ) year old . He is the one who hopes to come a little later.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Helen Quail said:

I understand about school but he  ( my 15 year old who want to be able to visit back) may be in charter/home school.

I also understand timescales vary hugely. Our K1 took 12 months, not 5- 10.

I don't know what you mean by "go after the date in the passport".

Can I file at the same time for my children? Even the 17 ( almost 18 ) year old . He is the one who hopes to come a little later.

Yes, you can file the AOS at the same time as you do yours. I find it easier that way especially when it gets time for ROC and stuff. BUT you can not file for him if he is not there with you and the others.

There is a date in the passport where the visa is printed and that date shows the latest date you have to be in US. So you can't just say 6 months you have to make sure he will be in the US by the date in the passport.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

Yes, you can file the AOS at the same time as you do yours. I find it easier that way especially when it gets time for ROC and stuff. BUT you can not file for him if he is not there with you and the others.

There is a date in the passport where the visa is printed and that date shows the latest date you have to be in US. So you can't just say 6 months you have to make sure he will be in the US by the date in the passport.

Sure I understand now.

I was told previously that my eldest at 17 was too old to file concurrently..?

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Helen Quail said:

Sure I understand now.

I was told previously that my eldest at 17 was too old to file concurrently..?

No he can file with you but since he is over 14 he will be expensive. you + 4 kids will be several thousand $ to file.

Timeline
23 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

No he can file with you but since he is over 14 he will be expensive. you + 4 kids will be several thousand $ to file.

I know! £1100 x 3 + $750 x 2!!

Thanks

Timeline
3 hours ago, Helen Quail said:

I know! £1100 x 3 + $750 x 2!!

Thanks

A bit more than that. Also, remember the bio fee for everyone over 14.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Skærmbillede 2018-04-23 kl. 17.20.48.png

Edited by Georgia16

Timeline

yes thanks!

So as a petitioner for a K-1 and two K-2s (ages 15 and 17) I am looking at $1,225 x 3 correct?

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

We were just approved and are currently waiting for our visas to be delivered.  I am just starting to look at the AOS process.  I am a bit confused right now but it seems like AOS fees for a K-1 and two K-2s runs in the $2350+ range per person.  The $1225 I-485 fee, the $535 I-130 fee and the $575 I-131A fee.  Am I missing any fees?  I anticipate filing for AOS by the end of May and need to get things in order.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
25 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

We were just approved and are currently waiting for our visas to be delivered.  I am just starting to look at the AOS process.  I am a bit confused right now but it seems like AOS fees for a K-1 and two K-2s runs in the $2350+ range per person.  The $1225 I-485 fee, the $535 I-130 fee and the $575 I-131A fee.  Am I missing any fees?  I anticipate filing for AOS by the end of May and need to get things in order.

I-131 (Travel Document) is fee waived if filed along with I-485. The same about I-765 (Employment Authorization) - no charge. And seems like you are missing this form.

Not sure... why do you think  would you need to file I-130?..... 

Edited by Ksenia_O

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

I-131 (Travel Document) is fee waived if filed along with I-485. The same about I-765 (Employment Authorization) - no charge.

Not sure... why do you think  would you need to file I-130?..... 

I thought the 130 was for the beneficiary (spouse) as the alien relative.  Like I said, I just started looking at this now.  Does the 485 cover that?

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

Correct :)

Thank you.  So if I file for EAD and AP at the same time it is just the $1225 each to cover all fees for this portion of the AOS?

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.