shawarma_frites

Insanity: Processing time for Application for Employment Authorization (I-765) at National Benefits Center is currently 5 to 6 months.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Disgusting.

Considering all of the vetting and waiting involved in the K-1 and other visas, these processing times for Employment Authorization Document are pure insanity. 

Really, though?

Yes. There is vetting involved. However, you have to remember that all of the people who are applying for K1 and other visas that require an EAD are going to have to go through processing, which means that the lines are long and there will be a wait.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jaquelly said:

Really, though?

Yes. There is vetting involved. However, you have to remember that all of the people who are applying for K1 and other visas that require an EAD are going to have to go through processing, which means that the lines are long and there will be a wait.

Certain non-immigrant visas are vetted so well that the classification could have an opt-in for immigrant status and be given an EAD (or dare I say even a green card) upon arrival, similar to the CR1 procedures. 

Sending certain visa holders for an EAD is superfluous. It costs everyone extra time and money to gather information that USCIS and Homeland Security already have.

And 6 months for an EAD was unheard of a couple years ago.

USCIS couldn't even be bothered to update our K-1 case online beyond the NOA1. The NVC sent us our notification well after the consulate contacted us for the DS-160. They also made typos on critical information. Many consulates no longer handle visa interview fees at the consulate, so we had to pay at a specific courier service with employees who provide a receipt. The employees didn't know American currency or the fee procedure, so they credited my husband as having paid a much lesser visa fee. If he hadn't noticed and drove home, he would have lost money on more fees and another day off of work. Speaking of which, people have to take time off of work to travel to a specific location (with ignorant employees) in order pay a visa fee because the consulate can't be bothered to deal with it? That's ridiculous. What's also ridiculous is that processing times are historically slow despite generous processing fees that are never structured to the local economy. My husband has a master's degree and the DS-160 fee was worth one month of his salary.

Immigration in the United States is such a racket: increasingly more expensive, increasingly slower, and more convoluted. It's time for USCIS reform.

Edited by shawarma_frites

13 hours ago, shawarma_frites said:

Certain non-immigrant visas are vetted so well that the classification could have an opt-in for immigrant status and be given an EAD (or dare I say even a green card) upon arrival, similar to the CR1 procedures. 

Sending certain visa holders for an EAD is superfluous. It costs everyone extra time and money to gather information that USCIS and Homeland Security already have.

USCIS couldn't even be bothered to update our K-1 case online beyond the NOA1. The NVC sent us our notification well after the consulate contacted us for the DS-160. They also made typos on critical information. Many consulates no longer handle visa interview fees at the consulate, so we had to pay at a specific courier service with employees who provide a receipt. The employees didn't know American currency or the fee procedure, so they credited my husband as having paid a much lesser visa fee. If he hadn't noticed and drove home, he would have lost money on more fees and another day off of work. Speaking of which, people have to take time off of work to travel to a specific location (with ignorant employees) in order pay a visa fee because the consulate can't be bothered to deal with it? That's ridiculous. What's also ridiculous is that processing times are historically slow despite generous processing fees that are never structured to the local economy. My husband has a master's degree and the DS-160 fee was worth one month of his salary.

Immigration in the United States is such a racket: increasingly more expensive, increasingly slower, and more convoluted. It's time for USCIS reform.

I was going to respond yesterday but it's hard to text when you're at the gym.

Everyone has different experiences with USCIS. We got updated online, via text, email and mail. The NVC was swift with our paperwork. I had a great experience, and I am sorry that you didn't. 

I am not going to bash USCIS. They don't work for YOU, they work for everyone. Just be grateful that you're not a June 2017 K1 filer that still doesn't have their NOA2.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

I was going to respond yesterday but it's hard to text when you're at the gym.

Everyone has different experiences with USCIS. We got updated online, via text, email and mail. The NVC was swift with our paperwork. I had a great experience, and I am sorry that you didn't. 

I am not going to bash USCIS. They don't work for YOU, they work for everyone. Just be grateful that you're not a June 2017 K1 filer that still doesn't have their NOA2.

Fallacy of Relative Privation. Just because my case was on schedule with the rest my cohort doesn't mean that there are not fundamental issues with USCIS. You're not looking at the bigger picture such as wether or not certain visa holders should even have to be put through a second processing and vetting. You're also not considering all of the ridiculous procedures people endure from "high-fraud" and lesser-economy countries. Many people have issues with USCIS and noting that isn't "bashing." 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jaquelly said:

You're looking for a fight. I'm not the person who's going to give it to you. It's a long wait, but if you did your research before applying, you'd know that. Immigrating to America is a privilege. If it is such a hardship for you, perhaps Algeria would have been a more fitting place to live?

Damn! Harsh but true. The process is frustrating for majority of people but still the USCIS is dealing with massive amounts of cases, different visa classification, constant changing immigration rues and laws, and petitioners/visa seekers who are constantly calling impatiently wanting to know "what is going on with my case and why it is taking so long". It is true, if someone finds the process too daunting they should opt out.

17 hours ago, shawarma_frites said:

Congress needs to change the laws to implement something like that. This is not something that can be changed with just policies.

True, but it was heard of just a few years before that. It's an ebb and flow...sometimes people process during quicker periods of processing, while sometimes people go through the process during longer waiting periods.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

That's one of the big disadvantages of a K-1.  Perhaps you should have gone the CR-1 route.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

10/4/17 RD: I-485 and I-765. 

7/31/18: Case ready to be scheduled for interview. 

I still have no EAD yet. Anyone know what could be the reason?

Timeline
6 hours ago, IndigoPhantom said:

Damn! Harsh but true. The process is frustrating for majority of people but still the USCIS is dealing with massive amounts of cases, different visa classification, constant changing immigration rues and laws, and petitioners/visa seekers who are constantly calling impatiently wanting to know "what is going on with my case and why it is taking so long". It is true, if someone finds the process too daunting they should opt out.

You guys think you're being cheeky but I used to live in Algeria and we're looking to return in the future--either that or France. As an American Citizen, I absolutely abhor the ideological indoctrination so many people suffer from. Americans tend to lose their minds over anything analytical and clutch the American flag to their chest.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jaquelly said:

You're looking for a fight. I'm not the person who's going to give it to you. It's a long wait, but if you did your research before applying, you'd know that. Immigrating to America is a privilege. If it is such a hardship for you, perhaps Algeria would have been a more fitting place to live?

Why are so many Americans myopic when it comes anyone being analytical? You think I'm looking for a fight because you can't handle anyone who doesn't unabashedly worship the United States, I guess. I did my research and had a consultation with one of the top immigration firms in the country. You think you're cheeky suggesting that I go to Algeria, but I used to live in Algeria and due family and my career circumstances, he moved here. My husband never intends to become a U.S. citizen and within the next decade we're looking to return to Algeria or possibly go to France.

My husband was offered a research position at the local university and because of the long wait times for the EAD, he will likely be unable to accept the offer even by the start of the spring term. 

3 hours ago, shawarma_frites said:

Why are so many Americans myopic when it comes anyone being analytical? You think I'm looking for a fight because you can't handle anyone who doesn't unabashedly worship the United States, I guess. I did my research and had a consultation with one of the top immigration firms in the country. You think you're cheeky suggesting that I go to Algeria, but I used to live in Algeria and due family and my career circumstances, he moved here. My husband never intends to become a U.S. citizen and within the next decade we're looking to return to Algeria or possibly go to France.

My husband was offered a research position at the local university and because of the long wait times for the EAD, he will likely be unable to accept the offer even by the start of the spring term. 

You're absolutely incorrect about that assumption. I don't clutch my pearls about America. You're the one having a hard time about immigration, not me. Your attitude through so many of your posts is negative about USCIS, and I'm not going to play your pity game. If your husband was offered a job, get an offer letter and expedite. Getting snarky on a website isn't helpful in getting an EAD.

Also, there's nothing wrong with wanting USCIS to take their time to make sure that people aren't committing fraud with their immigration intentions.

It's great that you don't give a lick about America. It's a great place to live, even with the political stuff going on. I'm not going to say I'm not offended that you're taking the piss out of those of us who are saying that you're being unreasonable by saying the only reason why we're not outraged is because we're patriotic.

Being frustrated is a normal part of this process, but the rest of us are waiting or have done their time. It's not something people look kindly upon when someone throws a fit and demands special attention.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.