Tatiana_shamrock

Cured Tuberculosis

37 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

My bf and I have finally decided to apply for K-1 Visa. That's good news. The bad news is that i have some health issues I want to share neither with my fiance nor with doctors during the medical check-up. The problem is that in 2011 i was diagnosed with inactive tuberculosis. i was sent to the hospital and went through thorough treatment including special chemo and a surgery on my destructed lung - a lobe of it was resected. After this nightmare, i went on taking meds for a couple of months. And for about three years i had to go through regular medical check-ups at a TB-hospital. The checkups included blood and sputum tests + X-ray twice a year. My tests were always good. After these three years, the check-ups were over and I, finally, became just a 'normal' person. According to the medical rules of my country, all the citizens have to do chest X-rays once a year. And I do them. Everything's absolutely fine with my lungs. The only thing that shows that something was wrong is the scar (and the obvious absence of one lobe) i have after the surgery. Even if i say i've never had TB, the doctor will see my X-ray. I have no doubts, s/he will ask me about the origins of the scar. Will the situation i face be the reason for my visa denial? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Tatiana_shamrock said:

Hi guys!

My bf and I have finally decided to apply for K-1 Visa. That's good news. The bad news is that i have some health issues I want to share neither with my fiance nor with doctors during the medical check-up. The problem is that in 2011 i was diagnosed with inactive tuberculosis. i was sent to the hospital and went through thorough treatment including special chemo and a surgery on my destructed lung - a lobe of it was resected. After this nightmare, i went on taking meds for a couple of months. And for about three years i had to go through regular medical check-ups at a TB-hospital. The checkups included blood and sputum tests + X-ray twice a year. My tests were always good. After these three years, the check-ups were over and I, finally, became just a 'normal' person. According to the medical rules of my country, all the citizens have to do chest X-rays once a year. And I do them. Everything's absolutely fine with my lungs. The only thing that shows that something was wrong is the scar (and the obvious absence of one lobe) i have after the surgery. Even if i say i've never had TB, the doctor will see my X-ray. I have no doubts, s/he will ask me about the origins of the scar. Will the situation i face be the reason for my visa denial? 

No. People who test positive or are seen potentially as having TB and have to do the tests and treatment, once it's cured/gone they can proceed as normal. So as you say, they will see this all on the x-rays; but they may also ask it on a questionaire during the medical (not entirely sure on that) so you may have to tell them it before the x-ray anyways. As long as the TB is no longer present it shouldn't cause any issues. They just may ask about it and want to see other medical documents perhaps.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

6 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

No. People who test positive or are seen potentially as having TB and have to do the tests and treatment, once it's cured/gone they can proceed as normal. So as you say, they will see this all on the x-rays; but they may also ask it on a questionaire during the medical (not entirely sure on that) so you may have to tell them it before the x-ray anyways. As long as the TB is no longer present it shouldn't cause any issues. They just may ask about it and want to see other medical documents perhaps.

Thanks. That's a relief. Still, I'm nervous a bit.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Bless your heart. No, I don't think that alone would warrant a denial, if you were medically cleared. I would still have any applicable medical records/documents available, should it come up and be questioned at all.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

1 minute ago, EmmNM said:

I understand your concern but why wouldn't you want to share your past with your bf? You're going to marry him! How would you feel if he kept something like this from you?

I know it's a shame. But i'm very embarrassed. Even though i have no idea how i managed to catch the disease which is considered to be a disease of disadvantaged groups...at least, in my country. of course, nobody's saved from this, unfortunately. probably, one day i have the guts to tell all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

you will summit to a chest xray for the medical exam and then questions about scar tissue damage

not a reason for denial when TB has been treated

bigger issue is not telling him and you could be asked if he is aware

saying "he does not know is not good as you 2 are suppose to know all about each other"

saying " he knows is a lie and you should never lie to immigration"

BTW there r still TB cases in the USA and not necessarily with just disadvantaged /  some of the newer medicatons here make us vunerable to TB

Edited by kris&me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Tatiana_shamrock said:

Hi guys!

Your required physical will poke and prod, blood and urine tests, sputum,  Chest xray, and a full on exam and the rest of the physical.  IF they have concerns or questions of your sputum, it will delay for a few weeks maybe for them to do a culture.  If they find any active concern, it will delay for 2 or 3 months under close watch and medicine, but it will not forbid it from going further.    If you are clean, there is nothing to worry about, but I am not sure if your sealed medical report will mention the history of...    As for telling your Fiance, I think you should not hide it.  Yes, you are correct that the  people of a lower status has a hirer incidence of TB,  they too go on occasion to stores, and elsewhere in public places and they too cough and sneeze and breathe.  It has nothing on you or your character to have had TB in the past.  You should be proud that you are clean! 

6 minutes ago, kris&me said:

you will summit to a chest xray for the medical exam and then questions about scar tissue damage

not a reason for denial when TB has been treated

bigger issue is not telling him and you could be asked if he is aware

saying "he does not know is not good as you 2 are suppose to know all about each other"

saying " he knows is a lie and you should never lie to immigration"

BTW there r still TB cases in the USA and not necessarily with just disadvantaged /  some of the newer medicatons here make us vunerable to TB

yeah. that makes sense. thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Tatiana_shamrock said:

yeah. that makes sense. thanks.

I presume you have a large scar on your chest from having a lung lobe removed - how do you explain this to your fiance? 

Not to mention the fact you are MARRYING this person - as a nurse, you could have complications or problems in the future from having a lobectomy. If you go into the ER or a doctors office they will listen to your lungs and notice a lobe is gone and will likely ask you about it - do you just plan on keeping it a secret forever? It's not a huge issue - you didnt do anything wrong by contracting an illness before. 

13 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

I presume you have a large scar on your chest from having a lung lobe removed - how do you explain this to your fiance? 

Not to mention the fact you are MARRYING this person - as a nurse, you could have complications or problems in the future from having a lobectomy. If you go into the ER or a doctors office they will listen to your lungs and notice a lobe is gone and will likely ask you about it - do you just plan on keeping it a secret forever? It's not a huge issue - you didnt do anything wrong by contracting an illness before. 

no, of course, i'm not going to keep it a secret forever. yeah...it will be the issue to discuss with my fiance before filing for the visa.

Edited by Tatiana_shamrock

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

relationships, let me rephrase that, SUCCESSFUL relationships are based on honesty and communication.

You need to tell your fiance now. Dont start your marriage with a lie. and omitting it, is the same as lying about it.

If you had a medical emergency, your husband would NEED to know and be able to tell your medical team your FULL medical history.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to tell him.

He is going to wonder why your medical is not finished. They won't grant it until you get treatment by them as they cannot trust that you actually finished the treatment. 

Then once you get the all clear and arrive in the US the Health Unit where you will be living will be contacting you for follow up. You will not be able to hide this.  

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.