saladboye

Possible to AOS for wife when she is visiting.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm currently a LPR for 7 years. 

Timeline:

1. N-400 filed for me on July 2017, Local CIS is Dallas (via a lawyer)
  2. Got married in Dec 2017.
  3. Filed for wife's I-130 in June 2018
  4. Wife filed for B2 to visit me in July 2018. Consular interview in August 2018

1. my N-400 waiting in line for interview since August 2017
  2. Wife's I-130 under review or Pending (not yet approved)

I understand that the likelihood of getting B2 with pending I-130 is a hit or miss but she has mandatory PTO that she needs to take this year and figured we try our luck to have her visit me.

Now based on other's experience for Dallas for N400, it seems that FO has picked up pace and PD as latest as April / May are getting interview notices this month.

As a result I suspect, by the time she arrives and visit me in October for 3 weeks I'll likely be naturalized.

We are really hoping her B2 gets approved and she gets stamped for 6 month validity at the POE by CBP officer. But as a safe measure she is also applying for Canada Visa so I can visit her for 3 weeks and be close to Dallas incase I have to fly back for interview.

My questions/queries:

1. Has anyone encountered such scenario? If yes how did it go for you?
  2. Say she is here with 6 months stay permit
    1. How do I go about filing for AOS and/or upgrade petition from F2A to IR1?
      I assume to send a letter to UCSIS with Naturalization Copy, I-864, and I-485,
      anything else? like medical etc?
    2. Are there any extra risk or scrutiny for such situations?
  3. What are the chances of her getting B2 approved?
    1. She is providing letter from place of employment that she is expected to return in 3 weeks
    2. She has 3 reasons to visit me, to be with me, our anniversary coming up and so is my B'day.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just chill, get naturalized, and then update your application for your wife to petitioning as a USC, which will move it faster than petitioning as an LPR.

You can visit her in her country. The N400 interviews are usually on a couple weeks' notice. Unlikely to get a letter today for an interview next week. In any case, if you have to dash back from Canada, the fee for changing the ticket is likely to be the same for international flights -- in the neighborhood of $300.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

26 minutes ago, saladboye said:

I'm currently a LPR for 7 years. 

Timeline:

1. N-400 filed for me on July 2017, Local CIS is Dallas (via a lawyer)
  2. Got married in Dec 2017.
  3. Filed for wife's I-130 in June 2018
  4. Wife filed for B2 to visit me in July 2018. Consular interview in August 2018

1. my N-400 waiting in line for interview since August 2017
  2. Wife's I-130 under review or Pending (not yet approved)

I understand that the likelihood of getting B2 with pending I-130 is a hit or miss but she has mandatory PTO that she needs to take this year and figured we try our luck to have her visit me.

Now based on other's experience for Dallas for N400, it seems that FO has picked up pace and PD as latest as April / May are getting interview notices this month.

As a result I suspect, by the time she arrives and visit me in October for 3 weeks I'll likely be naturalized.

We are really hoping her B2 gets approved and she gets stamped for 6 month validity at the POE by CBP officer. But as a safe measure she is also applying for Canada Visa so I can visit her for 3 weeks and be close to Dallas incase I have to fly back for interview.

My questions/queries:

1. Has anyone encountered such scenario? If yes how did it go for you?
  2. Say she is here with 6 months stay permit
    1. How do I go about filing for AOS and/or upgrade petition from F2A to IR1?
      I assume to send a letter to UCSIS with Naturalization Copy, I-864, and I-485,
      anything else? like medical etc?
    2. Are there any extra risk or scrutiny for such situations?
  3. What are the chances of her getting B2 approved?
    1. She is providing letter from place of employment that she is expected to return in 3 weeks
    2. She has 3 reasons to visit me, to be with me, our anniversary coming up and so is my B'day.

Your wife can not come on a tourist visa just to adjust status because that is immigration fraud.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, missileman said:

Thanks much appreciate this!

21 minutes ago, BlessedAssurance said:

Just chill, get naturalized, and then update your application for your wife to petitioning as a USC, which will move it faster than petitioning as an LPR.

You can visit her in her country. The N400 interviews are usually on a couple weeks' notice. Unlikely to get a letter today for an interview next week. In any case, if you have to dash back from Canada, the fee for changing the ticket is likely to be the same for international flights -- in the neighborhood of $300.

It is a 24 hour flight one way (hence the Canada visa too at same time, we are meeting no matter what, if it was F2A only we already were on same page to meet atleast once a year), Also I rather not visit her (weather is awful in India, I'll have to share a living space, stupid family obligation pops up and takes time away from us and also I'm out of PTO since I took 8 weeks for marriage). It should not happen that I get the letter 3 weeks before my intended trip and the interview is during the trip this is what most of my worry is. She has to take this vacation and has been approved or else she looses it (again why Canada visa so incase the interview is during the travel, I can fly back for interview quickly). OR Worse I have my naturalization ceremony during the trip and I loose 2 more days to get immediate passport and visa to enter India again.

21 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

The precise circumstances and “possibility” you outline are probably why there is a very small chance of her being granted a b visa...

Yeah hence the post. 

21 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Your wife can not come on a tourist visa just to adjust status because that is immigration fraud.

She is coming for tourist intent only. We already mentioned this in the application that she has an I-130 in process that is not yet approved (F2A). She even has an ITIN number for taxes I did last year. 

But if the Visa is valid for 6 months and I happen to be naturalized during her 3 week vacation, she prefers not to go back as we have been apart for more than 2 years now at this point (we are together since 2016, known each other since 2010). If one of those condition is not met, she is flying back home.

No where I have intend to commit fraud but if the ideal dream situation does happens, I want to be prepared ahead of time rather than rush it. I'm just exploring possibilities. Worst she stays back 6 months (or max duration of stay validity if B2 gets approved) till her consular appointment for immigration and flies back and comes again. 

Edited by saladboye

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Local Consulate is well aware of local practices. I doubt the rest of this will be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Local Consulate is well aware of local practices. I doubt the rest of this will be an issue.

Oh yeah, but we trying our luck, worst we are out of $100 and only meet for 3 weeks in Canada

24 minutes ago, saladboye said:

But if the Visa is valid for 6 months and I happen to be naturalized during her 3 week vacation, she prefers not to go back as we have been apart for more than 2 years now at this point (we are together since 2016, known each other since 2010). If one of those condition is not met, she is flying back home.

Her preference is not (legally) actionable. The requirement is that she must obtain the visa and enter without immigrant intent. Your naturalization doesn't alter that.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 hours ago, saladboye said:

You don't get it.  Without a valid immigration visa, she cannot enter the US and live.  You have already established intent for immigration...and if she mentioned that she has a pending I-130 during her tourist visa process, it's a extremely unlikely she will be entering  via that route.  Enjoy your visit in Canada.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** As OP has been given the correct, legal answer- that his plan is immigration fraud, which is not supported by VJ- this thread is now closed. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.