Hjdjka

My Boyfriend is being Deported

48 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Hjdjka said:

He’s from Guinea Africa.

When he was 19 him & his friends got in a rather serious fight with another group of guys and unfortunately someone died during the fight. Everyone involved went to jail for the fight  but  4 men were charged with involuntary manslaughter. My Boyfriend was one of the 4 who went to Jail he was sentenced to 8yr serving 6yr 11months of the sentence in prison & 5yr of parole when he’s released.

Hes due to get out in December.

He hasn’t been contacted by immigration but I’m aware of the law and I Know that every immigrant has to see immigration board before being released from jail.

did you meet him before he went to the jail, or after? 

4 hours ago, Hjdjka said:

He’s from Guinea Africa.

When he was 19 him & his friends got in a rather serious fight with another group of guys and unfortunately someone died during the fight. Everyone involved went to jail for the fight  but  4 men were charged with involuntary manslaughter. My Boyfriend was one of the 4 who went to Jail he was sentenced to 8yr serving 6yr 11months of the sentence in prison & 5yr of parole when he’s released.

Hes due to get out in December.

He hasn’t been contacted by immigration but I’m aware of the law and I Know that every immigrant has to see immigration board before being released from jail.

Why is he still your boyfriend? You don't need this drama in your life.

He will be released to ICE custody. Leave the convicted felon alone.

AOS FROM - F1 OPT                                                                                                                                             ROC
Day 00 - Jun-08-2016 - AOS Package Delivered [Chicago Lockbox]                                                          Day 00 - Mar-12-2018 - ROC Package Delivered [California Service Center] 

Day 13 - Jun-21-2016 - Hardcopy NOA  for I-485, I-130, I-765                                                                   Day 09 - Mar-21-2018- Check Cashed                                                                   

Day 17 - Jun-25-2016 - Biometrics Letter [Appointment July 5]                                                                 Day 11 - Mar-23-2018-Received NOA Letter

Day 50 - Jul-28-2016 -  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled for an Interview                                                 Day 68 - May-18-2018 - Received Biometrics WAIVER Letter

Day 61 - Aug-08-2016 - AOS Interview Letter [interview Date Sept 7]                                                       Day 159 -Aug-17-2018 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

Day 71 - Aug-17-2016 - Interview Cancellation Letter [unforeseen Circumstances]                              Day 406-Apr-22-2019 - New Card Is Being Produced

Day 79 - Aug-25-2016 - New AOS Interview Letter [New Interview Date Sept 27]                                   Day 410-Apr26-2019 - Received ROC Approval Letter

Day 85 - Aug-31-2016 - Received EAD Card                                                                                                    Day 414- Apr-30-2019 - Received 10-year Green Card :dance:

Day 112 -Sep-27-2016 - AOS Interview [Case Status: New Card Is Being Produced]                              N400   5-yr-based                      

Day 118 -Oct-03-2016 -  Received AOS Approval Letter                                                                               Day 00 - Mar-12-2021- Submitted N400 Application online

Day 121 -Oct-06-2016 - Received Conditional Green Card [ROC opens ~ Mar 10, 2018]                       Day 322 - Jan-28-2022- N400 Interview Scheduled

Day 353 - Feb-26-2022- Interviewed. Approved. Same Day Oath 🇺🇸

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 hours ago, Hjdjka said:

He took a ple-Deal but wasn’t informed that by pledging guilty would subject him to being deported. 

When filling out court paperwork a question asks ‘“Are you a illegal immigration” which he answered no.

Therefore the courts didn’t notice him if the immigration issues he could face.

He currently has a PCR court date which is a post conviction court hearing.

He committed another offense by saying he is not illegal...oh my...:-(

I am a little confused. You have posted in a Forum of Removing Conditions. That means you two got married, he got a Green Card for two years? Then he is now applying for a 10 year Green Card?

5 hours ago, Hjdjka said:

My Boyfriend was one of the 4 who went to Jail he was sentenced to 8yr serving 6yr 11months of the sentence in prison & 5yr of parole when he’s released.

You've been waiting for him to come out of prison for so long?

At some point you have to think of yourself and live your life. It's not like you are waiting for the best guy in the world or something (even if such thing existed). Don't ruin your life any longer. 

Also, take into consideration what being in jail for so long does to a person, particularly someone who was violent before going to prison. It could be even be dangerous for you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

If he has served almost 7 years when did you met him, did you marry him in prison ? Have you been waiting 7 years for his release? He is going to be deported. But who would follow a boyfriend ? He’s not your husband and you have lived separate lives for 7 years. He will be deported. 

Good luck to you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, NYCruiser said:

He committed another offense by saying he is not illegal...oh my...:-(

From what I understand from the OP, the boyfriend has a green card, so he answered the question correctly in that he was not an illegal alien at the time of his arrest.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JFH said:

I'm the wife of a felon and I understand the whole "you can't help who you fall in love with" and "people can change". My husband committed his crime many years before I even met him. The man I met is not the man that served time in prison.

However, if this man went to prison at 19 and is still there, he's not a man. He has never lived as an adult. His clothes are selected for him. His meals are cooked for him. He is told when to get up and when to go to bed. His laundry is done for him. He doesn't make any decisions for himself. Depending on the state in which he is incarcerated, he may not even be considered "able" to cope with buttons and zippers.  Is he someone you knew before the crime, or is he your pen pal promising you eternal love in letters and 20-minute phone calls whilst expecting you to act as his unpaid lawyer? Even if he were able to stay, and he were able to parole you your home, you'd be picking up a 27-year-old child from the gates, not a man. 

Even if he could stay, you have no idea of the uphill struggle you have ahead of you. My husband's crime was less serious and in the 1990s but the stigma is there till this very day. There are many countries we cannot visit together, including my home country and even Canada which is less than 100 miles from our home. Employers judge. Landlords judge. Financial institutions judge (in our case because it was a theft). The DMV judges. The judging of felons doesn't stop in the court room. You will have restrictions placed on your lives forever. Africa might not be a bad option. You two certainly won't have the life here that you, OP, are used to now and that he is dreaming of. 

Hello I’m about 10 miles from Canada so we are close. I don’t know where your husband committed his crime however having worked in criminal court. He does have the option of submitting a Motion to Expunge his record if it was only one felony and I forgot how long but it may be 10 years with no other Felony Charges. Please look into that, it must be done in the same jurisdiction in which he was charged. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Related Discussion, from ROC~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Several judgmental and off-topic posts have been removed, along with quotes or posts referencing.  Answer constructively, or don't post.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I think a lot of valid posts.

i just wonder, in considering moving to Africa, if the OP has ever been there and specifically ever been to countries like Guinea? I’m from Africa myself, no stranger to instability and violence, and I’d never move to Guinea. Not trying to insult anyone here. Some countries are really rough, guinea is not the worst in Africa for sure, but for an American... I think it would be an extremely difficult adjustment. Even assuming you could get an immigrant visa for there, of course. 

Timeline

Dakar is a good city to move to and it’s still in West Africa. What at Gambia but I wouldn’t move to Guinea, nope..... Dakar is more metropolitan and expat/tourist friendly. Those are suggestions but expect him to held for some time awaiting paperwork and then deported. However I would note Dakar is expensive to live very comparable to American prices but their pay is much lower. I suggest you start saving, then he will need a passport to travel will he receive on with his record??? I don’t know, but I would live in Guinea at all. Sorry 

Not quite sure why Guinea (Conakry) is confused with Equatorial Guinea. There’s also Guinea Bissau as well as Papua New Guinea. President Conde of Guinea is not a dictator. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

3 hours ago, milimelo said:

Not quite sure why Guinea (Conakry) is confused with Equatorial Guinea. There’s also Guinea Bissau as well as Papua New Guinea. President Conde of Guinea is not a dictator. 

I didn’t see anyone confuse Guinea with Equatorial Guinea? Which post did I miss?

Sadly, you don’t need dictators in charge to have violent and/or unstable countries. A lot of poor people, and civil wars in neighboring countries are among the factors that lead even democracies to have conditions the average born-and-bred American would find it hard to deal with.

fyi here are just some issues highlighted from the UK travel advisory. Someone actually living there will have much more stuff to deal with. And I haven’t checked the one for Equatorial Guinea, it will probably be worse for sure, but that hardly makes this “good”

Local elections took place on 4 February 2018. Outbreaks of violence, including some fatalities, have occurred and continue across the country. There is risk of road closures due to demonstrations. You should monitor local and international media reports and avoid large demonstrations or rallies (both political and non-political) or close to military barracks.

The World Health Organisation declared Guinea Ebola transmission free on 1 June 2016. You should check this travel advice before travelling to Guinea and follow the health advice on the NHS Choices website.

If you’re concerned that you might have been exposed to Ebola, or are showing symptoms, you should seek immediate medical advice. If you’re in the UK call NHS on 111. Cholera and malaria are also present in Guinea and have similar early symptoms to Ebola. See Health

The local police number for downtown Conakry is +(224) 622 039 258.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Guinea. Attacks could be indiscriminate. You should be vigilant, especially in places visited by foreigners. See Terrorism

The Guinean authorities maintain police and local militia checkpoints across the whole country. Carry identification with you at all times. See Road traveland Local laws and customs

Road travel can be hazardous due to poor driving standards and the state of the roads. Essential supplies, such as fuel, may run low from time to time. You should avoid travelling at night outside Conakry. See Road Travel

Motorists have encountered theft at gun point, particularly at night. See Crime

Exchanging foreign currency on the street or using unofficial money changers is illegal and can result in military detention. See Money

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/guinea

Unofficial Australian site with a lot more detail on the kind of violence, crime etc one might encounter http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/africa/west/Pages/guinea.aspx

very detailed so won’t repost all but some extracts 

Exercise a high degree of caution in Guinea because of the unpredictable security situation and the risk of violent crime.

Reconsider your need to travel to all areas bordering Cote d'Ivoire, Liberia and Sierra Leone due to cross-border military and rebel activity and tensions between ethnic groups.   

The security situation in Guinea can be volatile due to political and social tensions. Monitor local media for information on your safety and security. 

There is a high risk of violent crime in Guinea. Foreigners have been the victims of armed robbery, carjacking, assault, muggings and break-ins in Conakry and other areas, sometimes perpetrated by individuals wearing military or police uniforms.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
19 hours ago, Maria1989 said:

If he has served almost 7 years when did you met him, did you marry him in prison ? Have you been waiting 7 years for his release? He is going to be deported. But who would follow a boyfriend ? He’s not your husband and you have lived separate lives for 7 years. He will be deported. 

Good luck to you 

21 hours ago, gc@gc said:

did you meet him before he went to the jail, or after? 

This is what we need.  Less fact-finding about Guinea - more deets on this relationship! OP come back!

NOA1: 9/8/2017

NOA2: 3/14/2018

NVC Case # Available: 3/26/2018

Case left NVC: 4/3/2018

Packet 3 Rec'd: 6/11/2018 

Interview: 6/26/2018 Approved! :thumbs:

POE: 7/13/2018

Marriage: 8/25/2018 

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 10/3/18

Biometrics: 10/30/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.