CSA

K1 lengthy process... Why though?? We need answers...

26 posts in this topic

Am I wrong but does the K1 Visa process seem to be moving prettyyyyy slow this year . My fiancé and I have known each other for six years now and have been dating a year. After a few attempts of the B1/B2 Visa (solely for the purpose of spending time with each other)and it being denied , we finally decided we wanted to be married anyway so why further prolong the courtship . We filed back in August and received the NOA1 just two days after sending it to USCIS Texas .

We were extremely excited and ready to begin our beautiful journey and immediately started planning our wedding, apartment details and even furnishings . Well as the months continue to grow it is beginning to get harder and harder. This process has definitely put a serious toll on our engagement and not being able to see him 5 Months now is  painful. Christmas is in the air and it gets really depressing especially the thoughts of not beginning the year with your fiancé at your side .

I’m wondering why has the process become so long . A 5-6 month process has now become a 8month - 1 year process. This is ridiculous! The main reason the K1 Visa was invented is to not only have the alien fiancé  be eligible to marry and live with their spouse , but to also be with the love of their life. Why put people through all of this ? It is totally unfair ! Having movie and dinner dates are not memorable over the phone every time . I understand there is an order and process BUT how about working with us for your sake and ours’ .

How about hiring new Consulars or Clerks or Staff in general to assist with the obvious backlog of cases . Develop a program that can navigate the countries that has the most filers and in need of extra attention for legal purposes etc . Come on people it’s just a couple weeks shy of 2018. There are gonna be more filers added on to the existing ones. You get to go home to your family, spouse etc . Think about the K1 filers on bending knees every night asking God to help them receive another notice soon .

This post may never get the eye or attention from the respective representatives of USCIS and I’m for the record not stating that the information and their job is an easy process , however I do suggest regardless of President elects or immigration laws or even general staff shortage please be more mindful of what you guys are doing.

My fiancé told me trust in him America is well organized, professional and orderly. Then why such a drastic change in the process? Recruiting new staff not easy??? Ahhhh I think not ! There are millions of people out there looking for a good Government job.

Military wives and administrators are also a great suggestion for such delicate information being provided to USCIS . I have been on this journey for sometime now fighting to be with the love of my life, finally feeling complete and finally seeing why God waited for the right time to bring us together.  

But, instead of being able to take care of my sick fiancé I have to watch him on a screen and try to be humble enough to be afforded to at least have some visual of him. What was suppose to be a beautiful time in our lives has turned out to be the most torturous thing ever. Thank you USCIS .

Signed - The Grinch 

Happy Holidays to those that made it though the end . May God continue to guide you and your Fiancé till the very end and beyond.  

XOXO... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration from K1 P&P - as the Thread is not about how or what to file.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, CAPW said:

Am I wrong but does the K1 Visa process seem to be moving prettyyyyy slow this year . My fiancé and I have known each other for six years now and have been dating a year. After a few attempts of the B1/B2 Visa (solely for the purpose of spending time with each other)and it being denied , we finally decided we wanted to be married anyway so why further prolong the courtship . We filed back in August and received the NOA1 just two days after sending it to USCIS Texas .

We were extremely excited and ready to begin our beautiful journey and immediately started planning our wedding, apartment details and even furnishings . Well as the months continue to grow it is beginning to get harder and harder. This process has definitely put a serious toll on our engagement and not being able to see him 5 Months now is  painful. Christmas is in the air and it gets really depressing especially the thoughts of not beginning the year with your fiancé at your side .

I’m wondering why has the process become so long . A 5-6 month process has now become a 8month - 1 year process. This is ridiculous! The main reason the K1 Visa was invented is to not only have the alien fiancé  be eligible to marry and live with their spouse , but to also be with the love of their life. Why put people through all of this ? It is totally unfair ! Having movie and dinner dates are not memorable over the phone every time . I understand there is an order and process BUT how about working with us for your sake and ours’ .

How about hiring new Consulars or Clerks or Staff in general to assist with the obvious backlog of cases . Develop a program that can navigate the countries that has the most filers and in need of extra attention for legal purposes etc . Come on people it’s just a couple weeks shy of 2018. There are gonna be more filers added on to the existing ones. You get to go home to your family, spouse etc . Think about the K1 filers on bending knees every night asking God to help them receive another notice soon .

This post may never get the eye or attention from the respective representatives of USCIS and I’m for the record not stating that the information and their job is an easy process , however I do suggest regardless of President elects or immigration laws or even general staff shortage please be more mindful of what you guys are doing.

My fiancé told me trust in him America is well organized, professional and orderly. Then why such a drastic change in the process? Recruiting new staff not easy??? Ahhhh I think not ! There are millions of people out there looking for a good Government job.

Military wives and administrators are also a great suggestion for such delicate information being provided to USCIS . I have been on this journey for sometime now fighting to be with the love of my life, finally feeling complete and finally seeing why God waited for the right time to bring us together.  

But, instead of being able to take care of my sick fiancé I have to watch him on a screen and try to be humble enough to be afforded to at least have some visual of him. What was suppose to be a beautiful time in our lives has turned out to be the most torturous thing ever. Thank you USCIS .

Signed - The Grinch 

Happy Holidays to those that made it though the end . May God continue to guide you and your Fiancé till the very end and beyond.  

XOXO... 

I notice you are in T&T. I do note you say your fiance is sick, so the following suggestion may not work. Can he and you meet in say The Bahamas and stay there for a week or so as frequently as your budget allows?

I have come to the conclusion Government is not in the outcomes business at all...we pay MORE money for less work (ie lenghty wait times). On the other hand, the long wait times for K1 and CR1 weed out the fraudulent applications..That maybe the strategy?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably did not help. on the other hand my process was over a year some time ago so a fair bit quicker now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I need to revise parts of this, but perhaps it will help somewhat:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

14 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

I notice you are in T&T. I do note you say your fiance is sick, so the following suggestion may not work. Can he and you meet in say The Bahamas and stay there for a week or so as frequently as your budget allows?

I have come to the conclusion Government is not in the outcomes business at all...we pay MORE money for less work (ie lenghty wait times). On the other hand, the long wait times for K1 and CR1 weed out the fraudulent applications..That maybe the strategy?

I definitely cannot meet him anywhere anytime soon as we are trying to be very cautious and attentive to our finances. He not sick to die THANK GOD but it is just frustrating to not be present to attend to his basic needs.  

OP, long ago a great deal of us had to wait nearly a year (some of us over a year) to even get past the initial processing phase...let alone visa-in-hand. Things have always pretty much been slow, more or less.... and there is no interest in meaningful improvements. It is what it is... and if you start along this journey, every step of the way will require extremely lengthy wait times.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
3 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

OP, long ago a great deal of us had to wait nearly a year (some of us over a year) to even get past the initial processing phase...let alone visa-in-hand. Things have always pretty much been slow, more or less.... and there is no interest in meaningful improvements. It is what it is... and if you start along this journey, every step of the way will require extremely lengthy wait times.

Agree, I am sure many of us old hands have seen such topics on a regular basis and are slightly amused when it is actually currently much quicker than we endured.

As an aside should not take more than 2 months, very inefficient process. But it is the Government.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
16 hours ago, CAPW said:

Signed - The Grinch 

XOXO... 

You should send that exact message to your congressmen. Heck, we all should. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, Boiler said:

Probably did not help. on the other hand my process was over a year some time ago so a fair bit quicker now.

48 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

While the process is frustrating and I agree that the process shouldn't take longer than 2 months.. It's nice to hear that these wait times have occurred before. Simply for the fact that I was concerned it was only because of our current administration (I'm sure it's partly to do with that), and to know that it's possible for these wait times to go down again

Congrats on getting through it!

Edited by kas634

Filed K1:             08.03.2017
I-129F NOA1:     08.09.2017
I-129F NOA2:     03.01.2018 

NVC Received:   03.15.2018

NVC Case ##:    03.22.2018

NVC Left:            03.23.2018

Case Ready:       03.27.2018

Packet 3:             04.09.2018 **We sent our Packet 3 information once a week before we received anything from the consulate**

Packet 4:             04.10.2018

Medical:              04.24.2018

Interview:           06.06.2018

POE:                    06.22.2018 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

some visas have taken 5 or 6 years

and you can not plan anything at this point

August was only 4 months ago

this will take about a year 

reasons are number of applications have quadrued over the last 3 years

and you assume you will be approved / many are not

this is not to discourage but to advise / be prepared / keep all reciepts / keep copies of things you send to immigration

prepare for anything to happen and be pleasantly surprised when all goes smoothly

good luck to you both

Timeline
30 minutes ago, kas634 said:

While the process is frustrating and I agree that the process shouldn't take longer than 2 months.. It's nice to hear that these wait times have occurred before. Simply for the fact that I was concerned it was only because of our current administration (I'm sure it's partly to do with that), and to know that it's possible for these wait times to go down again

Congrats on getting through it!

Similar comments over the years, I remember when DACA came in and the timelines were serious impacted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm reading all these replies that say the waiting time were longer many years ago.  This is not true,  I was a K1 beneficiary way back in 1991 and we filed in April and I had Visa in hand by the end of Sept.  So 5 months to visa in hand. 

Now I find myself in the same boat as everyone on this site....waiting.  I'm a June 27th filer and waiting for the NOA2  its been almost  6 months.

Happy Holidays to all we will all get through this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.