Bengoj

Marriage fraud

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I petitioned for my spouse from Nigeria. He came on a spousal visa in February 2020. In 2022, I discovered many things including a fake divorce decree that he provided to USCIS when I petitioned for him. He is still married in Nigeria. He applied for N-400 unbeknownst to me and got it in 2023 and left the marriage. After lying about his whereabouts, I discovered he’s in Nigeria with wife and their child. Divorce decree has been confirmed that it is counterfeit. What are my next steps. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear this. I just wanted to say no way that supposedly "counterfeit" divorce decree makes it past consulate review, ROC and then Naturalization. Just saying. 

I am following this post. 

Here is how to report fraud to USCIS:

https://www.uscis.gov/report-fraud/uscis-tip-form

I would also recommend contacting the Lagos embassy with the same information.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You could try Hacking's YT show, he has lots of similar cases.

Did you Divorce?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Fake divorce papers?

where did u "marry"?  Nigeria  knows to look for fake documents and so do all the other embassies

who confirmed divorce degree as fake??

How could he naturalize under 3 year as married to USC without your help??

u do need good attorney as u  may not be legally married 

U can report to ICE but understand u ,  too ,  went thru a lot to prove marriage is legit and are also responsible for the fraud

https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/marriageFraudBrochure.pdf

An individual will be charged with marriage fraud if they entered into a marriage for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration law. This felony offense carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000, and applies to both foreign nationals and U.S. citizens who perpetrate this crime.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Oko Vicki said:

I had to delete my original comment because I didn't want to sound like I was judging the OP.

I had a counterfeit divorce decree issue myself and it was picked up at the consulate in Lagos. 

OP said they discovered. They also said the divorce decree has been "confirmed" to be fake. Like you pointed out, the beneficiary was able to Naturalize under 3 year rule, then divorced. 

OP now wants to report marriage fraud? Hmmmm ok. As you also pointed out, does OP know they would also be indicted in this marriage fraud case? 

USCIS would probably laugh this off as a case of an embittered ex-spouse. I am certain they did their due diligence all through Consulate, RoC and Naturalization processes. 

I wish I was bitter but No love lost here. It’s the principle of submitting false document for the purposes of obtaining us citizenship. It happened to you you say, so you should understand how things like this happen. I found out his divorce decree was fake with me digging in further in 2022 and by how he was doing things. I reported it to USCIS tip line even before he applied for citizenship. I didn’t know when he applied for citizenship, I found out when I checked online. He got it 2023 and is now in Nigeria with the spouse. Divorce decree has been confirmed it’s counterfeit. Why would I be in on something like this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, Bengoj said:

I wish I was bitter but No love lost here. It’s the principle of submitting false document for the purposes of obtaining us citizenship. It happened to you you say, so you should understand how things like this happen. I found out his divorce decree was fake with me digging in further in 2022 and by how he was doing things. I reported it to USCIS tip line even before he applied for citizenship. I didn’t know when he applied for citizenship, I found out when I checked online. He got it 2023 and is now in Nigeria with the spouse. Divorce decree has been confirmed it’s counterfeit. Why would I be in on something like this?

But WHO confirmed it's counterfeit?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Bengoj said:

We all know these things happen. I'm sure nobody is surprised by this as my country is a high fraud country. 

It's good you reported the fraud issue to USCIS tip line as soon as you found out, that should clear you I hope. 

Interestingly, you reported before he even applied for Naturalization, I am now so curious how he survived that process. 

I'm so interested to see how this ends. Please keep us apprised. Good luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sadly reporting something on the tip line doesn't go very far. You need to submit actual evidence. Get everything together to prove the forgery, send it to the consulate, send it to the fraud unit. I can't remember the actual name and how to get their attention to get it to the right department. @TBoneTX probably can help with that information. Once you send in hard proof that it was all a scam, send them proof of who he is married too and all the proof that marriage is still ongoing. Send everything you can think of to backup everything you know. They move slow so it can take years before anything happens.

Talk to a lawyer and see what you need to do to clear that marriage since it is not a legal marriage. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

7 hours ago, Bengoj said:

I petitioned for my spouse from Nigeria. He came on a spousal visa in February 2020. In 2022, I discovered many things including a fake divorce decree that he provided to USCIS when I petitioned for him. He is still married in Nigeria. He applied for N-400 unbeknownst to me and got it in 2023 and left the marriage. After lying about his whereabouts, I discovered he’s in Nigeria with wife and their child. Divorce decree has been confirmed that it is counterfeit. What are my next steps. 

What do you want to happen and why? 
You are no longer on the I864 hook because he naturalized. 
You can divorce and move on with your life safe in the knowledge he is in Nigeria and you won’t have to run into him. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Make a statement that has been notorized with a copy of the fraud decree and submit the info to the fraud dept. Also get a statement from the attorney with investigation results. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Redro said:

What do you want to happen and why? 
You are no longer on the I864 hook because he naturalized. 
You can divorce and move on with your life safe in the knowledge he is in Nigeria and you won’t have to run into him. 

It is immigration fraud. He will use his fraud antics and file for his wife and child and return to the US. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.