AfroKing

Please, advise me!!!!!!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

1. I came into the United States end of last year, (Dec 29th)  and was hoping my SSN card will be delivered within the shortest time frame. Its been more than four weeks and its not been delivered. I got tracking from USPS on my green card to be delivered today. I thought the SSN card should or usually arrives faster than the GC. Is it the right frame of time to approach an SSN  office and apply physically since its going to be 5 weeks  by next week? I don't want to appear overzealous ..............( Just so you know, i opt to have the SSN sent in my DS260)

2. What is the best way to find a lucrative job? I have a Master's Degree but the jobs I've scouted so far are offering low pay,even lower than some of their workers with no Educational qualifications or as much work experience as me, which makes me think i might not be doing something right. Maybe there's a smarter way asides Linkedin, i hate to be idle.

3. lastly, the cultural change is not that shocking but its a bit. Folks who immigrated, how did you cope when you first moved here?  I would like to learn on the things,activities i can do to meet people, make new friends,network.

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, AfroKing said:

I have a Master's Degree

In what field of study?  In what field are you try to secure a career?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I recommend reading this https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-618.pdf

It’s titled “Welcome to the United States A Guide for New Immigrants”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, AfroKing said:

approach an SSN  office and apply physically

This can't hurt and can only help.

7 hours ago, AfroKing said:

What is the best way to find a lucrative job?

If you're concentrating on online listings only, then you're competing against the whole world.

Suggestion #1:

Find employers who hire people like you.  Study the company.

Learn who the hiring manager is (if necessary, call the receptionist to learn the name).

Visit the office, dressed in suit & tie, with your resumé and a knockout cover-letter.

The cover-letter should be addressed to the hiring manager (spell the name correctly).

Find the hiring manager's secretary or administrative assistant.

Say, "I understand that Mr. ____ is always looking for good people.  Will you please give this to him?"

Thank the secretary sincerely, with a smile.  Take the manager's business card.

Two or three days later, call the manager directly.

Say, "I'm [name], and I dropped off my resumé with [secretary's name].  Were you able to look it over?"

If yes, and no positions equaling your qualifications are open, ask his impression of your credentials.

(Many U.S. companies hesitate to hire foreign graduates because of uncertainty about credentials.)

Ask if you can start in a lower position, even entry-level, to show him what you can do.

If nothing is available, thank him sincerely and ask him for other companies to approach.

Regardless of the answer, thank him again, and thank him in advance for keeping you in mind.

Suggestion #2:

Each city has a Chamber of Commerce.  Find it.

Once you find it, talk with the secretary. Tell her that you want a schedule of events, and let her know that you'd like to attend.

Then, go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office.  Talk with the President of the Chamber, telling him/her that you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at Chamber events are business-owners and salespeople, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the good thing about being a volunteer there is that you will be talking to everyone at least once -- you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters' table, you might help to run the audio/video system - whatever - but the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you.  When folk remember you, they will remember that you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper -- they met you at a Chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the Chamber.

If you live in a really small town, go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.

8 hours ago, AfroKing said:

cultural change

When you better understand little everyday things, the big things will be less of a shock.  Have your spouse or an American acquaintance walk around the block with you.  You can ask anything at all -- why do the street lights come on at night, how do you report necessary repairs to driveways and sidewalks, how does the Homeowners' Association operate, who represents you in local government, or anything that comes to mind.  Repeat this process every week or few days to give your brain time to process what you've learned.

Your spouse or a neighbor can take you to a supermarket.  Pick one aisle of products, walk slowly, and ask questions about brands, pricing, and "what exactly is this?"  Repeat this process whenever possible.

An excellent video (for native U.S. people, too) is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Another good resource is:

http://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english.pdf

8 hours ago, AfroKing said:

things, activities i can do to meet people, make new friends, network.

The Web is your friend.

Find your city's website or the "convention & visitors bureau" website.

The first should have "For New Residents," and the second should have many links.

You can also perform general searches, such as "bicycling in [name of city]."

Let us know here how these suggestions sound to you and work for you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

FWIW, I have multiple degrees (including two Masters) and I still had to drop a few levels coming into the US looking for work. 

It didn't worry me because I just needed my foot in the door and I knew, once I was hired, I could prove my worth.  Sure enough, it worked and within months I got my first promotion and within a couple of years, I was back at the level I was in my homeland.  Now?  I earn close to double what I used to earn in Australia and I will retire close to 10 years earlier than anticipated.  #LandOfOpportunity

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
15 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

If you're concentrating on online listings only, then you're competing against the whole world.

Suggestion #1:

Learn who the hiring manager is (if necessary, call the receptionist to learn the name).

Visit the office, dressed in suit & tie, with your resumé and a knockout cover-letter.

The cover-letter should be addressed to the hiring manager (spell the name correctly).

Say, "I understand that Mr. ____ is always looking for good people.  Will you please give this to him?"

Say, "I'm [name], and I dropped off my resumé with [secretary's name].  Were you able to look it over?"

If yes, and no positions equaling your qualifications are open, ask his impression of your credentials.

(Many U.S. companies hesitate to hire foreign graduates because of uncertainty about credentials.)

Ask if you can start in a lower position, even entry-level, to show him what you can do.

If nothing is available, thank him sincerely and ask him for other companies to approach.

Regardless of the answer, thank him again, and thank him in advance for keeping you in mind.

Suggestion #2:

Once you find it, talk with the secretary. Tell her that you want a schedule of events, and let her know that you'd like to attend.

Then, go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office.  Talk with the President of the Chamber, telling him/her that you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at Chamber events are business-owners and salespeople, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the good thing about being a volunteer there is that you will be talking to everyone at least once -- you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters' table, you might help to run the audio/video system - whatever - but the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you.  When folk remember you, they will remember that you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper -- they met you at a Chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the Chamber.

If you live in a really small town, go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.

When you better understand little everyday things, the big things will be less of a shock.  Have your spouse or an American acquaintance walk around the block with you.  You can ask anything at all -- why do the street lights come on at night, how do you report necessary repairs to driveways and sidewalks, how does the Homeowners' Association operate, who represents you in local government, or anything that comes to mind.  Repeat this process every week or few days to give your brain time to process what you've learned.

Your spouse or a neighbor can take you to a supermarket.  Pick one aisle of products, walk slowly, and ask questions about brands, pricing, and "what exactly is this?"  Repeat this process whenever possible.

The Web is your friend.

The first should have "For New Residents," and the second should have many links.

I know this advice is given with the best intentions at heart, but based on my experience I would recommend a different approach. 

Nowadays most employers do not accept paper applications or walk-in applications (unless maybe at restaurants or other hospitality jobs).

My advice to OP as a millennial who had to get a job in the US is to sign up for Indeed, ZipRecruiter, etc, and search for positions that you are interested in.

Job searches nowadays are all about volume, you are going to apply for literally anything remotely related to your field of expertise, and hope that one of them sticks.

Don't be surprised if send hundreds of applications and hear back from maybe a handful of them.

Make sure that every resume that you submit has keywords that are related to the position you are applying for since most companies use automatic filters to weed out applicants that are not relevant to the position. You want to make it past that first filter so an actual person can read your resume.

I would also suggest trying to make as many connections as possible. Join an amateur league at a sport that you enjoy, or find a local group of people devoted to one of your hobbies and start making connections. 

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not a millennial but it is nothing new about online applications in the professional world. You need a Linkedin account, and depending what you are trying to get into makes a huge difference. Not all degrees are treated equally. Get your degree evaluated- here is an old thread that talks about it. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, ClickityClackity said:

I know this advice is given with the best intentions at heart, but based on my experience I would recommend a different approach. 

Nowadays most employers do not accept paper applications or walk-in applications (unless maybe at restaurants or other hospitality jobs).

I've actually had good experiences with cold calling. Several years ago, I was unemployed. and did submit applications with online job recruiting networks  I do recommend doing it, but I also began researching schools in my area (I teach music and art), and sent out applications to schools that looked good to me even if they didn't seem to be hiring. I even popped into a school, as I was driving by, and introduced myself. My cover letters were always tailored to the specific school, by quoting a sentence or paragraph from their website that described their philosophy and telling them  how wonderful it is to have found a school with the same philosophy as mine and what a good fit we would be for each other. This is how I got the job I wanted! 

It's also a good idea to send a thank you letter, after each interview. I got a job once, solely because I did this.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you find your dream job soon!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/3/2024 at 11:24 AM, Crazy Cat said:

In what field of study?  In what field are you try to secure a career?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Agronomy (Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences and a Masters  Degree in Genetics. The thing is, i followed and built a career in Entertainment as a content Manager/writer for a Media and live broadcast firm with more than 12 years experience but i also consult for private small scale business, which i consider my side hustle.

I tried applying at a signage firm here as a have proficient graphics skills but no degree to back it up.

Timeline
On 2/3/2024 at 7:42 PM, TBoneTX said:

Suggestion #1:

Suggestion #2:

The Web is your friend.

This is golden, thanks. I attended a Chess game hub competition  over the weekend through searching through my State's events and it was nice. 

Timeline
On 2/4/2024 at 10:57 AM, ClickityClackity said:

My advice to OP as a millennial who had to get a job in the US is to sign up for Indeed, ZipRecruiter, etc, and search for positions that you are interested in.

Job searches nowadays are all about volume, you are going to apply for literally anything remotely related to your field of expertise, and hope that one of them sticks.

Don't be surprised if send hundreds of applications and hear back from maybe a handful of them.

Make sure that every resume that you submit has keywords that are related to the position you are applying for since most companies use automatic filters to weed out applicants that are not relevant to the position. You want to make it past that first filter so an actual person can read your resume.

I would also suggest trying to make as many connections as possible. Join an amateur league at a sport that you enjoy, or find a local group of people devoted to one of your hobbies and start making connections. 

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks so much. My recent experience showed me social networking might be one of the profound ways to getting a great job in the United States. i'm working on joining more local, church groups.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, AfroKing said:

This is golden, thanks. I attended a Chess game hub competition  over the weekend through searching through my State's events and it was nice. 

Glad to hear it!  Keep it up!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.