48 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Suncheer said:

Thank you for clarifying that, I was told NYC based applications would go to Vermont, but based on your clarification it sounds like its more so randomized/unknown. 

Right, the battle is either we want to do ~two years apart (CR1) or ~one year apart (K1) and then the remaining process for K1 I’d be there with my partner. 

One year?  Where are you getting that timeline?  I believe the petition processing time for the I-129F is still 15 months, is it not?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Suncheer said:

the battle is either we want to do ~two years apart (CR1) or ~one year apart (K1) and then the remaining process for K1 I’d be there with my partner. 

I'm not sure where you got those times, but they are not accurate.  Both the K-1 and CR-1 will take close to 18 months before entry into the US. Per other members the average times from filing to interview are:

From initial filing to Interview 

575 days for K-1

619 days for CR-1

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

OP, have you read the guides?   The petition processing time is only one part of the overall process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Suncheer said:

Hi there,

I am new here so apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this question. However, I am turning to the community to help us decide on the best options for our situation, considering there’s a lot of different information out there, and I am slowly losing my mind. I am a Canadian citizen based in Toronto, and my partner is a USC based in New York. As everyone here, we want to close the long distance gap asap, and are exploring the two options - K1 or CR1. I understand the benefits of CR1, however, we want to go with the process that would get me there the fastest. If we were to go through the K1 we’re financially capable of surviving for 12-15 months without a work authorization (given it takes that long for me to get one). We also wo start a family and would not want to do that with the distance. So there is a lot to consider. Additionally, I work from home full-time so I can travel and work from anywhere. 

Giving our circumstance, would the K1 or CR1 be there better and fastest option? Or are the timelines the same for both process?

Thank you so in advance for all your inputs!

Cheers!

You can not work even remotely on the K1

How does USCIS know?  u have to file US taxes on income earned in the US and not filing is  a IRS problem

you don't need issues with either IRS or USCIS 

I am from NY our service center was Nebraska. My friend’s ( also from NY) service center was Texas. It’s internal and cannot be predicted. My cousin filed for his fiance K1 NOA1 was January 1st, 2022, she arrived On October 27th 2023. Our CR1 NOA1 was May 24th 2022, my husband arrived on Dec 8th 2023. The difference? He got his ssn the following week and 10 year green card 2 weeks ago. They just filed week ago, from the beginning. They regret big time not going cr1 route. And the fees keep going up. Look at the timelines, facts, this whole site is based on someone’s experience and potential pitfalls and hurdles that can be avoided. 

Edited by Amunah

2 hours ago, Gary Rich said:

Crazy Kat.. Here is Virginia it's not that much of a worry for a (K1)  I regularly talk to a person at the bank I'm with. she tells me. ( that an immigrant arriving here would need their visa, passport, and ID ) I'm not sure about other states.

Different state, but we found having a Social Security number (which is faster via the CR1 route) makes so many things easier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, JKLSemicolon said:

Different state, but we found having a Social Security number (which is faster via the CR1 route) makes so many things easier.

I got my SSN in a week, anyway CR1 is the way to go.

All the times mentioned are looking backwards and you want to know how long your case will be and none can do that.

My guess would be 18 months CR1 or K1.

All I do know is that the sooner you file the sooner it will happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I got my SSN in a week, anyway CR1 is the way to go.

All the times mentioned are looking backwards and you want to know how long your case will be and none can do that.

My guess would be 18 months CR1 or K1.

All I do know is that the sooner you file the sooner it will happen.

Ah right, disregard the SSN comment. I was remembering the difficulty of getting the SSN on a K1 during the pandemic in 2020 which was a unique mess that fortunately no longer applies.

OP, we did both the K1 and CR1 process (see my profile/timeline) and I came away feeling, as most here do, that the CR1 is far superior.

Edited by JKLSemicolon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Suncheer said:

Thank you so much for your help. I’ve been looking at some timelines, but I’ve been focusing on both the petitioner and beneficiary location. Assuming New York is the Vermont location and Toronto is Montreal. I’ll look more into my consulate timeline

All of Canada is Montreal for K1 or CR1, regardless of province or city.

All of US is a variety of several Service Centers, regardless of state or city.  USCIS sends the I-130 to whichever service center is designated for that day/week/month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.