visa3310

US citizen to petition for dad and brother to visit for 1 month of stay

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, visa3310 said:

i am about to allow my dad and brother from nigeria to visit me in the US for 1 month

what forms do i fill to allow this? how long processing times is this for at the moment as we all know everything is all about processing time with USCIS

thanks all!

Visitor visa (B2j applications are handled directly by the consulate.  Your father and your brother would each fill out their own DS160 pay the fee, and wait for their own interviews at the US consulate in Lagos.  Current wait times for a B2 interview are quite long in Lagos.

Good Luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html?post=Nigeria&x=65&y=11

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

If they apply now they will hopefully get an appointment in spring 2025, but Nigeria has quite a high refusal rate for B visas and their chances are even lower with you living in the US. But if they're happy to spend the money on applying, it's worth a try. 

Good luck. 

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems to be about 15 months to get an appointment in Lagos.

Not a difficult process and they need to steer well clear of Agents, not needed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No such thing as US citizens petitioning or sponsoring someone for a tourist visa. The less involvement form the US citizen relative, the better. Otherwise, it’s pretty difficult to overcome the immigrant intent if a US citizen is inviting or “sponsoring” (financially or otherwise) the trip. 

6 hours ago, visa3310 said:

i am about to allow my dad and brother from nigeria to visit me in the US for 1 month

what forms do i fill to allow this? how long processing times is this for at the moment as we all know everything is all about processing time with USCIS

thanks all!

That isn't a thing.  They can apply for tourist visas on their own.  Their is no petition, sponsorship or anything of the type for tourist visas.

4 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Honestly, I think they have little chance for a visitor visa.  Sadly, it could be more than year to even get an interview.  Maybe you should travel there instead.  However, they can certainly apply.  Good luck to you and them.

Especially since they clearly do have immigrant intent as per the OP's previous thread.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Seems to be about 15 months to get an appointment in Lagos.

Not a difficult process and they need to steer well clear of Agents, not needed.

This deserves to be re-emphasized, do not use local agents to fill out the DS160's.  You can assist them in filling out the forms, but as I and others have said, these applications are your father's and brother's, and has nothing to do with USCIS.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, visa3310 said:

thanks all!

1. None.

2. USCIS is not involved at all.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, appleblossom said:

If they apply now they will hopefully get an appointment in spring 2025, but Nigeria has quite a high refusal rate for B visas and their chances are even lower with you living in the US. But if they're happy to spend the money on applying, it's worth a try. 

Good luck. 

what makes the changes lower with me living in the US?

I see, i thought in some cases i needed to write a letter approving of their visit or something

that is not the case at all?

i know of examples where lets say am graduating from college and i needed them to attend my graduation, then i can write a letter to allow them to come to my graduation

so nothing like that exists?

3 minutes ago, visa3310 said:

what makes the changes lower with me living in the US?

Because you're a reason for them to want to stay in the US, having close family there can often lead to a visitor visa refusal. Presumably you'll have applied for their visas by the time they have their interview?

6 minutes ago, visa3310 said:

so nothing like that exists?

Correct.

Department of state (which is responsible for handing visas) clearly states that such letters have no effect on whether the visitor visa is approved or denied. 

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa

You should read the rest of the page in detail. It has a lot of useful information:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Correct.

Department of state (which is responsible for handing visas) clearly states that such letters have no effect on whether the visitor visa is approved or denied. 

like they say, there is no smoke without fire

so are you saying all visits are classified as exactly same? someone visiting for some random reason compared to dad visiting for son's graduation or family visiting for a child's marriage can not be the same else we should be run by robots already at that point

sure laws exists but you and I both know that does not mean nothing.   not sure you want to argue this.

only normies focus too much on written laws while others bypass and dont limit themselves based on some written laws created decades ago

again i am sure all visits are not created equal except you want to argue that with me and i will gladly and respectfully disagree

Edited by visa3310

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.