MarktheShark

Divorce from non-immigrant (out of status) and financial responbsibility

89 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 1:19 AM, Family said:

You do NOT need an immigration attorney.

I agree with this.  But what I would also suggest is before any appearance that includes a judge or mediator, request from your lawyer an hour of his/her time.  It should be near the date of the court appearance.  Get with your lawyer and lay out the case as you see it.  Try to get the lawyer to "see it through your eyes."  Most of these divorce lawyers (and judges) are conditioned to go through a set routine with divorce cases, and you don't want to just get caught up in the grind.  You want the specific details of your case have light shone on them, so the judge sees.  Your divorce lawyer has to be able to articulate this to the judge.

You probably also know if your spouse has any social media accounts.  I would start looking at all those posts, as much as possible, and see if the spouse is posting things that you can print and copy and let the judge see.

I know this sounds stupid, but a friend of mine won his divorce that way when the spouse started posting how she called the cops on him to make a false allegation of abuse...  It's a longshot but it deserves a look.

It might also be important for us to know the jurisdiction where this is happening, but I'm not asking for you to divulge any details that you don't want to.

Good luck.

Since we have not settles in mediation is it too late for her sign a waiver of any and all future claims against me? 

I live in DC. The 3rd hearing is tomorrow. I just learned this evening it will be remote. The judge gave instructions at the last hearing for us to try and mediate again. No luck. So finally, the judge will probabaly set a trial date.  

On 6/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, Boiler said:

Defendant, who is from the Dominican Republic, alleged that, pursuant to the paperwork the parties had completed to sponsor Defendant’s entry into the United States

Seems pretty clear the reference is to the the I 134, now if I was your Divorce Lawyer I would wish to brief the Judge on both, the I 134 is not enforceable citing chapter and verse and the I 864 was never completed.

Hi Boiler. What part in sentence makes you believe it comes from the I-134? We have hearing tomorrow.  She doesn't have any standing to be here after the divorce. And doesn't her visa become out of date once the divorce is final?

I485_Withdrawal Acknowledgement - Copy.pdf I765_Denial Notice - Copy.pdf

On 6/27/2023 at 11:06 PM, MarktheShark said:

Assumptions correct. She want's $6200 for lawyer fees and 1000 a month for alimony. She wants a year to figure out a way to stay in US  while I pay. I didn't agree. So we left mediation. The judge will probably ask us to go back. 

Ouch, yeah I'd fight that with everything I had...that would be a hosing for you!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 is valid for 90 days, single entry.

Divorce is handled in Family Court not Immigration Court.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, MarktheShark said:

Since we have not settles in mediation is it too late for her sign a waiver of any and all future claims against me? 

I live in DC. The 3rd hearing is tomorrow. I just learned this evening it will be remote. The judge gave instructions at the last hearing for us to try and mediate again. No luck. So finally, the judge will probabaly set a trial date.  

What would she gain by signing?

1 hour ago, MarktheShark said:

Hi Boiler. What part in sentence makes you believe it comes from the I-134? We have hearing tomorrow.  She doesn't have any standing to be here after the divorce. And doesn't her visa become out of date once the divorce is final?

The divorce proceedings have nothing to do with her ability to remain in the US. They are two separate issues. 

"The evidence of record shows that, when you filed your application, you were lawfully present in the United States as a nonimmigrant. Your period of authorized stay as a nonimmigrant has not yet expired. You are authorized to remain in the United States until that date (or any further extension)."

Her K1 visa was valid for 90 days. Did the denial letter indicate when she was supposed to leave the country? Or did it just refer the fact she is authorized to remain in the country until her non-immigrant visa expires? 

4 hours ago, Redro said:

The divorce proceedings have nothing to do with her ability to remain in the US. They are two separate issues. 

"The evidence of record shows that, when you filed your application, you were lawfully present in the United States as a nonimmigrant. Your period of authorized stay as a nonimmigrant has not yet expired. You are authorized to remain in the United States until that date (or any further extension)."

Her K1 visa was valid for 90 days. Did the denial letter indicate when she was supposed to leave the country? Or did it just refer the fact she is authorized to remain in the country until her non-immigrant visa expires? 

The letter just refer the fact she is authorized to remain in the country until her non-immigrant visa expires.

14 hours ago, MarktheShark said:

I485_Withdrawal Acknowledgement - Copy.pdf 70.5 kB · 10 downloads I765_Denial Notice - Copy.pdf 107.43 kB · 7 downloads

To answer your question about part of the sentence that supports I-134 is what @Boilerhas in big bold words---Defendant's entry.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 hours ago, MarktheShark said:

The letter just refer the fact she is authorized to remain in the country until her non-immigrant visa expires.

So 90 days after she entered.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 8/2/2023 at 5:29 PM, MarktheShark said:

She doesn't have any standing to be here after the divorce. And doesn't her visa become out of date once the divorce is final?

Authorization to stay in the US is not dependent on marriage.  Marriage, in itself, confers no immigration rights.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2023 at 3:31 PM, srilankanmafia said:

Different issues, different treatment. Marriage establishes a “fiduciary duty” to the spouse. All this depends on your state laws as well. Community property or not. You’re the sponsor - in the eyes of the law, regardless of her immigration status and/or whether you signed the 864/134 or not. I never signed or provided a 134 and my husband came from DR as well. Just because you withdrew your immigration petition, it has nothing to do with your responsibility to provide for her now as well. She can be out of status but it’s highly unlikely they’ll remove her unless she commits a crime, etc. I agree with other comments that you should settle in mediation and make her sign a waiver of any and all future claims against you. Sorry you’re going through this. Wishing you all the best! 

I dont think this is true. I came through i864, went through divorce. After my divorce was done, I filed for support based on i864 at the Federal court, ofcourse was represented by an attorney but I had done all the homework related to evidences, proofs of income and defenses etc, it was a lot of work before I approached attorney to initiate this. My ex had two top attorneys but they knew it was a losing game and finally settled for what we asked. 

The fiduciary duty to support will be governed by the state family law, not the immigration laws or any obligation to support associated with it. In this case as the sponsor withdrew the petition and thus no green card was issued, there is no enforceable contract, simply because the contract did not ripen. The contract says if the immigrant is given a green card based on the marriage then the sponsor has an obligation to support her at a certain % of poverty level. Since the green card was never issued, even though the sponsor would have submitted a signed contract to USCIS , and a copy of which the wife can procure via FOIA, the defense would be there was no green card issued and thus the contracts conditions were never met.  Depending on the length of marriage and the common property generated during that time and the states family laws the husband might be on the hook for some short term support and it largely depends on the income and standard of living during marriage. The wife has no other option to gain a green card via this marriage or any other option. VAWA would require proofs such as reliable testimony or police/hospital/social worker reports etc. Else everyone could use that route to get a GC. She could go back on student visa or get remarried and gain green card via that.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 6/28/2023 at 5:22 AM, MarktheShark said:

I go to court next month for another hearing in my divorce. The judge said the following:

Defendant, who is from the Dominican Republic, alleged that, pursuant to the paperwork the parties had completed to sponsor Defendant’s entry into the United States, Plaintiff was financially obligated to support her while she resided in the United States.

What does that mean? She never aquired a green card and is out of status right now. How do I explain to the judge I'm not her sponsoer anymore? The 485 has been denied. She has no basis for being here anymore. I realize she an re-apply for wavier and try to self petition.

What you G8ARANTEED was that you earn enough money to support ONE Household with  TWO PEOpLE - tthe immigrant and yourself

Make SURE to hire a lawyer who is good enough to handle the NEW situation. YOU WILL SOON hablve two houshlods to support, if HER layer manages to bambo9zle the judge.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.