Djinva

Unique Problem

32 posts in this topic

A friend of mine was engaged to a man who said he applied for her a K-1Visa in October of 2022.  He then backed out of the engagement.  She is not sure if he actually filed an application for her.  Is there anyway that she can check?  The reality is that she has another person very interested in her and does not want to have an issue of two applications in the system for her.  

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Did she provide details eg dob to the first love?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

25 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

She wasn't being cruel.  She's pretty much the kindest person on VJ.

It's true though, that lining up another USC suitor so quickly screams of desperation to get to the US.  Perhaps this time around, your 'friend' will take it slow and take time to get to know the potential spouse properly.  There is nothing wrong with having a long distance relationship for awhile before rushing to file a petition.  Just like how normally, one would date someone in their own town for awhile, before rushing into marriage.

I'm talking about the people who left a laughing emoji 

22 minutes ago, Djinva said:

Wow, some cruel people on this forum.  Sad.

I wasn’t being cruel, I made a joke. I also advised that your friend can check in with the first petitioner (if they are still in contact) to ask if they actually submitted the I-129f or of they withdrew. Maybe the best case scenario is that they didn’t file so she doesn’t have a pending petition. 

On a more serious note, the timing and circumstances are a little unconventional (you call it unique as well). Your friend committed to marrying a US Citizen, that person decided to call off the engagement and 6 months later another US Citizen is ready to petition and your friend is ready to get married to them now. I know love works in mysterious ways, but that is a little concerning..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

27 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

She wasn't being cruel.  She's pretty much the kindest person on VJ.

It's true though, that lining up another USC suitor so quickly screams of desperation to get to the US.  Perhaps this time around, your 'friend' will take it slow and take time to get to know the potential spouse properly.  There is nothing wrong with having a long distance relationship for awhile before rushing to file a petition.  Just like how normally, one would date someone in their own town for awhile, before rushing into marriage.

and yea, you're right, I'm the friend

7 minutes ago, Djinva said:

We laugh around here, yes.  It is not out of cruelty.  No one is laughing at you.  Most of the veterans here on VJ have seen/heard it all, so we can get a bit jaded when it looks like someone is after a green card.

7 minutes ago, Djinva said:

and yea, you're right, I'm the friend

Perhaps invite your friend to join VJ?  US immigration is a long and arduous process, so she will definitely want to arm herself with as much knowledge as possible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Daphne . said:

Wow! I wish I had people line up for me like that on such short notice! It took me 45 years to find somebody I was sure enough about to get married to, while other people find 2 of them in 6 months! 😅

Is your friend still in touch with the first one? Maybe she can ask them if the I-129f was actually filed? And if it was filed, if they withdrew the application? 

😁you're not alone- I too found " the one" when I was 41 and moved to the US being 45! Lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Djinva said:

I left one- because I was over 40 years , too when I finally found " the one"- not because of your/ your friends situation 

I appreciate the replies, I really do.  I'm trying to avoid a lawyer with this obviously but, it seems it is a situation that only a lawyer would know.  I'm hoping someone comes through. 

Let's say the ex-petitioner does not cancel the request, then how long does it stay in limbo?  I don't want to burn 530 to be told "sorry, there is someone who has applied already."  

The sad part is that only the petitioner can cancel a visa application.  She can't.  So, what happens if he just let's it die?  How long before it is safe to apply?  I honestly only think someone who works at immigration or a well seasoned lawyer will know.  At the cost of a lawyer, it would be cheaper to apply 2x. Then, I can share here and let everyone know. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.