Sparkey

Husband threatening with deportation

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered the US on a K1 visa. Got married 14 months ago and have had my conditional green card for 6 months. 

Things with the husband are bad. He recently threatened suicide if I left him. I called 911 and he was put on 72 hour hold. 

Since he's been out all we do is fight. I will be getting copies of the police reports. 

However, tonight he said that if I divorce him he will call immigration and have me deported or would use a lawyer to do so. Our marriage was real so is it really that simple for him to do this?

I know I will need a waiver to remove  conditions after a divorce.

Edited by Sparkey

He cannot make a thing to get you deported. But, he can make the removal of conditions very difficult. 

So start gathering every piece of evidence that proves you married in good faith and file for divorce. 

Tagging @mindthegap to see what she can advise.

He cannot do a thing. Gather all the documentation/evidence that the marriage was in good faith... this will make the removal of conditions process way easier. Pretty much keep evidence of EVERYTHING and try to keep it in a safe place and with someone who you can trust. Get a lawyer and file for divorce, good luck with everything, i wish you the best.

Be extremely careful about someone who threatens to kill themselves if you leave them. They may not stop at just harming themselves. We've all seen news reports of murder-suicides when the spouse being left behind decided to take their family's lives before taking their own.

Edited by Adventine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Family said:

He is experiencing a real Cris if they put a 5150 hold .

He does not magically stabilize on release and would probably be best he gets care and support from other family members ( if he has any, call them and ask for help on his behalf)

You are “fighting “ with someone who does is not able to manage his emotional state and unless you love him enough to take a temporary role of caregiver ( till he gets to psychiatric/psychological treatment and possible meds)…then take a moment and evaluate what if any part of life with him you are willing to stay in. 

Your green card will be ok,…but he is still in danger of self harm, without help/ support 

https://ferc.org/resources/support-groups

He told the cops he did it to get a rise out of me. They were not impressed. His parents are 100% aware of the situation but are no help at all. I just know I can't stay in this situation anymore. I need to look out for myself as well. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
20 hours ago, Sparkey said:

I entered the US on a K1 visa. Got married 14 months ago and have had my conditional green card for 6 months. 

Things with the husband are bad. He recently threatened suicide if I left him. I called 911 and he was put on 72 hour hold. 

Since he's been out all we do is fight. I will be getting copies of the police reports. 

However, tonight he said that if I divorce him he will call immigration and have me deported or would use a lawyer to do so. Our marriage was real so is it really that simple for him to do this?

I know I will need a waiver to remove  conditions after a divorce.

He cannot affect your immigration status.

You can document the threats he has made and consult a divorce attorney. 

1 hour ago, Sparkey said:

He told the cops he did it to get a rise out of me. They were not impressed. His parents are 100% aware of the situation but are no help at all. I just know I can't stay in this situation anymore. I need to look out for myself as well

If he tried to talk his way out of that involuntary hold …

Fellow sounds more as @Ontarkie described, able to manipulate, rather than a love-sick-languishing-Romeo. 
Since his parents are aware of his 5150 and release…he has support if he can manage to engage them. …so RUN

featured_channel.jpg?v=5467d29c

0:02 / 1:21

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiBhdrJyvj9AhV_JkQIHeoPBsQQz40FegQICBAS&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DghyefjrcP3A&usg=AOvVaw0vpO-x0-NdjnPjUQKnKvEv

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.