Mex in Tex

I'm divorcing my US citizen husband and idk what to do

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

True about child support and "conservatorship" (Texas term for custody), both.

Find a halfway decent divorce attorney, and you're sitting pretty.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Oh, in addition, Texas is a "community property" state, so you should get half of everything at least.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

Oh, in addition, Texas is a "community property" state, so you should get half of everything at least.

In other words, OUCH!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mex in Tex said:

Thank you. I will do everything y’all advised. Good thing is my GC and passport are out of this house.  I will do a deeper research towards the custody of my child since he says I would lose cause I make less money but honestly, he doesn’t even know my child nor takes care of her other than providing a roof.

You don't need to do any research, that's exactly what a good attorney is for. Any aggressive, talented, savvy attorney will know EXACTLY what to do, that's what you pay them for. Just because your husband is threatening you does NOT means what he says is true. As others have said, don't tell him your plans to divorce, just get out and never look back. Please.

2 hours ago, Cathi said:

You don't need to do any research, that's exactly what a good attorney is for. Any aggressive, talented, savvy attorney will know EXACTLY what to do, that's what you pay them for. Just because your husband is threatening you does NOT means what he says is true. As others have said, don't tell him your plans to divorce, just get out and never look back. Please.

Thank you. But yes that’s one thing that’s stopping me. I would love to hire a mean lawyer but I can’t pay for it right now so I will just see what happens in order to get a divorce lawyer, appreciate your opinion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

get yourself out and to social services to take him to family court for child support

non custodial parent pays child support 

Most Battered women shelters have pro bono lawyers to help

BTW even a small child (a baby) will act as scared of a person when they hear yelling and relate it to the person's voice

judges take note of these things 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You’re receiving excellent advice here. All I’m going to add is that I’ll be rooting for you and your child -get to safety first. Everything else can be sorted out (including his empty threats!)

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mex in Tex said:

I would love to hire a mean lawyer but I can’t pay for it right now so I will just see what happens in order to get a divorce lawyer, appreciate your opinion.

A good divorce/family law attorney will know how to go after your husband, to make him pay for your legal fees.  You may not have to pay anything upfront.  If you have a joint credit or debit card, you could also use that for the initial attorney's retainer, and your husband will have to pay it off.  Just make sure you are in a safe place, away from your husband, before doing so.  In Texas, all community financial assets and debts will be split 50/50 during the divorce.  Good luck!

I do have another question, in case anybody knows.

We got married in Mexico and I know marriage is universal. Let's say we get a divorce over there (is cheaper and I would have more help with my family). Would that be an issue to get child support and custody of my child here in the States? I've been doing my research but no luck whatsoever. If anybody knows anything please let me know. Thank you so much.

7 minutes ago, Mex in Tex said:

I do have another question, in case anybody knows.

We got married in Mexico and I know marriage is universal. Let's say we get a divorce over there (is cheaper and I would have more help with my family). Would that be an issue to get child support and custody of my child here in the States? I've been doing my research but no luck whatsoever. If anybody knows anything please let me know. Thank you so much.

You're likely more protected by law in the US compared to Mexico. Keep it simple. In addition, you're dealing with divorce from US citizen and US citizen child. Keep it in the US, savings may not be worth it in the long run.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mex in Tex said:

Thank you all for the advise. I thought everything was against me but is not. I'm already searching for low cost/free advise on divorce. Any other advise would be appreciated, thank you all for your time.

I wanna say, though, this is not the time to be cheap. Read what @carmel34 has written 10 times, they’re on spot

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mex in Tex said:

Thank you. But yes that’s one thing that’s stopping me. I would love to hire a mean lawyer but I can’t pay for it right now so I will just see what happens in order to get a divorce lawyer, appreciate your opinion.

Divorce attorneys are means, girl. It's in their blood.

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

You're likely more protected by law in the US compared to Mexico. Keep it simple. In addition, you're dealing with divorce from US citizen and US citizen child. Keep it in the US, savings may not be worth it in the long run.

I understand, but my husband was the one saying that he'll go get it in Mexico... I guess I will have to make the first move and start it in here. thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.