Doggy_11

Is quitting my job days before the interview a problem?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am the petitioner, I will be at the interview with my Fiancé who is the beneficiary.

After working for 4 years, I am planning to resign from my job to start another job a 2 weeks later. But before I start my new job I have to travel overseas to my fiance to be with her at the K-1 Visa embassy interview.

I will be officially quitting 4 days before our interview and wanted to know if me not having a job at the time of the interview will be an issue if they ask about my employment.

I don't plan on saying anything, I will bring my paystubs, 2021 Tax returns, and bank statements(just as a back up to show I have plenty of money saved).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Doggy_11 said:

I will be officially quitting 4 days before our interview and wanted to know if me not having a job at the time of the interview will be an issue if they ask about my employment

Yes it will be an issue  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Doggy_11 said:

me not having a job at the time of the interview will be an issue

You'll get definitive comments here from many.  Be sure to bring your offer letter from your new employer, to show start date, salary, and position title.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, Doggy_11 said:

But before I start my new job I have to travel overseas to my fiance to be with her at the K-1 Visa embassy interview.

Wait a minute, did you personally get invitation for the K-1 interview? Usually it's only the beneficiary who goes to it.

Unless you were invited, it's generally a bad idea to go to that interview with your foreign fiance.

As regards to the job, you need to be truthful and say you're switching jobs if asked, if you need to attend the interview.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Wait a minute, did you personally get invitation for the K-1 interview? Usually it's only the beneficiary who goes to it.

Unless you were invited, it's generally a bad idea to go to that interview with your foreign fiance.

As regards to the job, you need to be truthful and say you're switching jobs if asked, if you need to attend the interview.

No invitation, I will ask if I can attend the interview with her, if not I will wait for her outside the embassy

it's a matter of supporting my fiance, she will be less nervous if I came with her 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Why? K-1 is predicated on there being a bonafide relationship.

The beneficiary will be bringing an I-134 and a claim (such as an employment verification letter) that the petitioner is employed. So even if not asked, whoever attends the interview needs be candid that the petitioner has no income.

Edited by Mike E

20 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Why? K-1 is predicated on there being a bonafide relationship.

IMHO this opens opportunity for mini stokes-like interview which may be unnecessary. More questions due to embassy employee getting excited to see both people. And US citizen doesn't have much leverage anyways in that situation.

As an analogy (and I get it, people may not like it), my work visa sponsoring employer didn't come to the embassy interview with me to show the job offer was real.

I heard at least from two lawyers US citizen presence rarely helps to get visa approved, and in some cases may hurt if interview goes off the rails.

I don't have personal experience with this, so may be wrong.

19 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I heard at least from two lawyers US citizen presence rarely helps to get visa approved, and in some cases may hurt if interview goes off the rails.

I think this could be true, but its possibly quite consulate-specific.  There are certain consulates we hear about that expect the petitioner to be present in-country, even if they are not allowed inside during the interview.

Timeline

Yeah not seeing the analogy with an employer petition.

If an embassy allows petitioners, i take that as a strong signal that petitioners should attend.

Agree with OP that coming to the fiancée’s country for moral support is good and it will help her case if the CO asks when was the most recent meeting. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Being unemployed is the issue. No issues with you being there for moral support, but your lack of employment will be. You cannot turn in all your previous paper work for an employer that you just quit and have your fiance not say anything it is still lying. They want and ask for present/current employment. 

If you have enough saving for the AOS then get that paperwork sorted out and have her turn that in. Do not start off with a lie. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Doggy_11 said:

I am the petitioner, I will be at the interview with my Fiancé who is the beneficiary.

After working for 4 years, I am planning to resign from my job to start another job a 2 weeks later. But before I start my new job I have to travel overseas to my fiance to be with her at the K-1 Visa embassy interview.

I will be officially quitting 4 days before our interview and wanted to know if me not having a job at the time of the interview will be an issue if they ask about my employment.

I don't plan on saying anything, I will bring my paystubs, 2021 Tax returns, and bank statements(just as a back up to show I have plenty of money saved).

You say that you are "planning to resign from my job to start another job a 2 weeks later".

Is the new job set in stone? As in, you have accepted an offer and have a start date, etc.? There's definitely a difference between "planning" to do something and actually doing something. 

Lying (even by omission) is a non-starter with immigration. You are betting that a) you and/or your fiancé won't be asked directly about your current work situation, b) that if you are asked, that a lie will go unnoticed, and/or c) that the IO won't pick up on any negative body language from you/your fiancé about the work situation. For example, if the IO asked your fiancé "Where does Doggy_11 work?", how do you think she will respond? This is a pretty standard question too btw, because they ask questions to make sure the fiancé knows the basic information any fiancé would about a future spouse. Are you going to coach her to lie in response to this question?

I'm not sure about how difficult the consulates are in India. For some (easy) consulates, I would say having proof of your new upcoming employment could be sufficient (on letterhead, showing salary and start date). But many places that simply will not fly. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

18 hours ago, Doggy_11 said:

Agree with the others, this is not a smart plan.  You will effectively (at that moment) have NO current income with which to support an immigrant.

Even if you do not get a denial, it could substantially delay things, if they issue a 221g.  Look up the public charge inadmissibility for more info.

And like everyone else is saying:  NEVER lie to USCIS/DOS/CBP etc.  It is just not worth it.  We have seen people have immigration benefits (even up to and including naturalization) removed for lies that catch up to them years later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

our questions

1   when did she visit last/   i was outside embassy /  most embassies do not allow USC in / limited space 

2.  what is the US address ?own or rent?

3.  where does she work?   i retired early

followed by 

4  what is her income?

5  will you work or study in the US?

just 5 for an approved visa 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.