xzsca10

Customs officer accidentally gave CR1 Visa

88 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, xzsca10 said:

We just arrived to America yesterday. The green card arriving will be the 2 year condition version because my wife had the CR1 Sticker in her passport, given by the consulate. 

Basically it’s been our 2nd anniversary in that time span, so we should get IR1 but officer was inexperienced in switching cr1 to ir1, said he wasn’t comfortable doing it so to just get it corrected with immigration locally and he just gave us the condition green card instead.  

I’ve heard it’s painful based on the discussions here on visajourney. 

Just sad. Already been a painful last few years

Let us know what actually gets mailed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Also let me take the opportunity to congratulate you on timing the point of entry to avoid removal of conditions (I-751)

And allow me to congratulate you on emphasizing this again.  This is a big, big, big deal!!!  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
19 hours ago, Mike E said:

You are welcome. Also let me take the opportunity to congratulate you on timing the point of entry to avoid removal of conditions (I-751).  All newly weds / newly engaged should follow your example.  

Can you explain further what you are referring to here please? Is there a post somewhere that talks about this timing of entry to avoid removal of conditions?

thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sam Burns said:

Can you explain further what you are referring to here please? Is there a post somewhere that talks about this timing of entry to avoid removal of conditions?

thanks!

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/conditional-permanent-residence

But if it has been longer than  2 yrs of marriage when the immigrant spouse enters the US on the spouse visa , they get the 10 yr green card and their lpr status is unconditional. No conditions to be to removed 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sam Burns said:

thanks!

I’ve posted about this before but here is the playbook. 

A couple is planning to marry and is leaning toward K-1. K-1 now takes as long as CR-1.  Most couples should not do K-1. 

If they instead marry online they immediately start the 2 year clock for getting a 10 year versus 2 year green card.  

Then they meet (to legally consummate the marriage as per U.S. immigration law) and the petitioner then files I-130 and I-130A online. After a year I-130 is approved.  

Once the case moves to NVC, the couple times the I-864, DS-260, and Document Qualified (DQ) so that mathematically, the medical examination cannot happen before the 18 month marriage anniversary.  

Once the visa is issued, it will expire 6 months from the date of the medical. 

The  medical takes place  on or after the 18th month of the marriage anniversary. The CR-1 visa thus expires on or after the 2 year anniversary of the marriage.  I call this a ghetto IR-1.  

The beneficiary can thus  wait until the 2 year marriage anniversary to enter the U.S. on the CR-1 visa.  The result is that legally  the beneficiary gets a 10 year green card. 

To be safe, given Covid travel restrictions are  marking a comeback, time DQ, DS-260, I-864 so that medical happens no sooner than the 19 month wedding anniversary. This gives the beneficiary a full month to use the ghetto CR-1.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:47 AM, xzsca10 said:

Hi all. Just arrived in America and wife successfully got a green card. 

However, we were supposed to get a 10 Year IR1 visa as we entered USA after 2nd anniversary. 

I told the officer this, but he knows I’m not wrong it’s just that he doesn’t have experience switching a visa from CR1 to IR1 and asked me to just go to a local immigration office.

I’ve heard bad experiences and intensely long processing times.

Can anyone guide me here on what’s the quickest way to go about fixing this and changing to IR1? Thank you

Hi there, did you end up getting the right card?

1 hour ago, Happylovelife111 said:

Hi there, did you end up getting the right card?

Hey, nothing yet. We will probably have to wait 2 more months at least.

usually takes 3 months for a green card to arrive 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Bad news. After 3 long months, they accidentally gave us a CR1 Visa which expires December 2024. 

My wife is anxious. 

Now calling uscis to try and fix this. Stuck on hold for over an hour. 

anyone know the best way of getting it corrected to IR1? 

Edited by xzsca10

4 minutes ago, xzsca10 said:

UPDATE: Bad news. After 3 long months, they accidentally gave us a CR1 Visa which expires December 2024. 

My wife is anxious. 

Now calling uscis to try and fix this. Stuck on hold for over an hour. 

anyone know the best way of getting it corrected to IR1? 

File I-90 with a fee waived. This was already advised before 

Just now, xzsca10 said:

i-551 stamp expires on Dec 2023. i-90 waiting time is till Dec 2025 at the very least. its all completely useless and rubbish.

You can get another stamp….

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please don't start multiple threads pertaining to the same or related topics (I-90, wrong GC, stamp) ~~

please tell your wife to not get so upset. This has happened many time to many people and this is not the end of the world.

Her status is and will remain the same - Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). She’s just waiting for the evidence of that to come through. File I-90 with a fee waived and get the stamp. If it expires, get another one. I-551 stamps ARE evidence of LPR status while she waits for the plastic card.

Edited by TBoneTX
quoted duplicate post removed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.