Sam Burns

Has a congressperson or senator actually helped you in 2021?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So what is your actual problem?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

This.

Senators and Congressmen are a great resource if there is something actually wrong with the processing of your case. 

I should note that each time they were able to assist me - that was the case (2017: my AOS was officially way outside of normal processing times; 2020 - my I751 was mistakenly sent to the wrong office and stuck there; 2020 - I had to get a rush processing for my passport due to personal circumstances). 

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

What is the specific help you're looking for? I've read the entire thread and can only venture to guess that you're upset about current processing times. If you're looking for your congressperson to speed up your case when everyone else is on the same predicament, you won't get anywhere. If it were that easy, everyone would be reaching out looking to get pushed to the front of the line.

Way back when, I reached out for help to my U.S Senator when my husband's case was stuck at the NVC (for no particular reason)and not moving when everyone else at the time was merrily moving along to their interviews. I filled out a form and the liaison reached out to the NVC and got hubby's case moving again. BUT, and this is a big BUT, hubby's case was legitimately stuck while everyone else at the time, was not. It had nothing to to with the processing times at that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The lengthy delays in processing of basically all visa types is, in part, why many around here will recommend a CR-1/IR-1 over a K-1 visa.  The processing is taking so long that typically the beneficiary enters as an IR, eliminating the necessity of the prolonged ROC process and allows the beneficiary the ability to work and travel from the outset.  

Regardless, as others have said, long wait times have been exacerbated by covid and there's a pretty good chance a push to process faster is going to fall on deaf ears.  Everyone's queued up and waiting for their turn.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sam Burns said:

Well in the K1 forums when people ask about getting help with delays or any other issues etc they are told to get in touch with their congressperson/senator.

Hence my question.

your timeline puts u almost a full year from date of NOA1 October 2021 ,  so i would reach out to a congressman /woman in your state

Since this is Poland and they are dealing with Ukraine and Russian visa interviews,   check what your congress official says about issues with all that is going on

It is not just an immigration issue but a highly volatile political issue and Congress has mixed feelings 

know what you congress reps think and contact the one who most understands what is happening in Poland and is supportive of U4U ,etc

i have listened to several and some seem to think its "a EU problem"  and they lack the backbone to help 

also note the 3nd quarter ending June 30, 2022 pending K1's are over 50,000 and 129 for workers over 100,000 with over 8,000,000 total pending petitions 

with only 100 Senators and 435 Reps in the House,  they can't help everyone even if they wanted to

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY2022_Q3.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Somewhat unlikely the intern would have any knowledge of what is happening at a particular Consulate 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 hours ago, Sam Burns said:

I keep hearing advice to contact your senator and/or congressperson but has doing that actually helped anyone here?

I reached out to my congressperson and filled out the forms, talked to their contact on the phone and then never heard anything again. I emailed them three times, the last time just this week and they never responded at all.

So that’s my question, did doing this make a difference for you? If so please let us know here.

thanks!

I didn’t file in 2021, but I did file this year. I took the advice from someone on here to reach out to my congressman. I live in Los Angeles and my congressman ran his most recent campaign on immigration values and improving it within the city of Los Angeles and nationwide. After I filled out the form, someone followed up with me within hours and filed a request the following day. My unsolicited advice would be to check your congressman/woman’s values and see if this is something of importance to them. That could be one of the reasons why you are hitting a wall. 

Edited by Jamie and Richard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

I asked the question because I was wondering if it would be worth continuing to reach out to my CP/S. I wanted to hear about people’s experiences here. My “problem” is the long wait time, which I am completely aware that we’re one of many.
Given everyone is in the same boat I figured my CP/S probably wouldn’t be able to do much anyway. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's hard.  Really.  All that we can say is to hang in there, and keep the faith.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
13 hours ago, Sam Burns said:

I keep hearing advice to contact your senator and/or congressperson but has doing that actually helped anyone here?

I reached out to my congressperson and filled out the forms, talked to their contact on the phone and then never heard anything again. I emailed them three times, the last time just this week and they never responded at all.

So that’s my question, did doing this make a difference for you? If so please let us know here.

thanks!

We tried contacting our congressman as well. Its futile. Rarely ever worth it. Did nothing for our case. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not in 2021, but I did get help in 2020.  A lot depends on the assistance you are seeking.  In my case the Embassy in Manila made a series of mistakes that were very obvious and would not respond to my inquiries.  Senator Cruz got involved and the issue was resolved  immediately and the Visa was issued.  Complaints about long processing times and similar issues most likely will not be of interest to your congressperson/senator 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.