quesquesquesques

Job history - reneging after signing I-9, does this need to be reported? (merged)

24 posts in this topic

If one reneged after filling and signing I-9 but later reneged and never started/worked at the job, does this need to be reported in job history? I am very worried that since I-9 was filed DHS/government's record may indicate that one had omitted a job from their job history and it could cause problems during their naturalization? Please advise. Thanks!

Edited by quesquesquesques

@quesquesquesques did you work for that employer at all? If yes, mention it (even if it was few hours or one day). If you only interviewed but never worked for them / never started employment, I wouldn't include it. At least that's what I would do.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
22 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@quesquesquesques did you work for that employer at all? If yes, mention it (even if it was few hours or one day). If you only interviewed but never worked for them / never started employment, I wouldn't include it. At least that's what I would do.

Correct.  It's employment history, nothing  more, nothing less.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

38 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Accepted job offer, signed all on-boarding paperwork including I-9 however reneged 10 days before start date. Hence, never worked there even for a minute.

16 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Correct.  It's employment history, nothing  more, nothing less.

Gotcha. So filling I-9 is immaterial from job history perspective then since I never started the job at all? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1 hour ago, quesquesquesques said:

If one reneged after filling and signing I-9 but later reneged and never started/worked at the job, does this need to be reported in job history? I am very worried that since I-9 was filed DHS/government's record may indicate that one had omitted a job from their job history and it could cause problems during their naturalization? Please advise. Thanks!

Until your question, my understanding was that only people who started working could be compelled to fill out I-9.  I’ve never been compelled to complete I-9 until the day I was added to the payroll. However,

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9instr.pdf says:

“You, the employee, must complete each field in Section 1 as described below. Newly hired employees must complete and sign Section 1 no later than the first day of employment. Section 1 should never be completed before you have accepted a job offer.”

Therefore it is possible you did not work for an employer where you filled out I-9. 

Keep it simple: if you filled out I-9, and

1. reneged on your job offer, and 

2. we’re not paid for that employer

then you did not work for that employer, and you can rest easy.  

Still any employer that forces an employee to fill out I-9 before the employee is added to the payroll is playing with fire and putting itself at risk to a discrimination lawsuit in the event the employer cancels the offer because it rejects the I-9. But I digress.  

Again, rest easy.  

Edited by Mike E

I know that certain crimes/misdemeanours can result in revocation of green card and denial of N-400. These crimes are called "Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude" (CIMT). However, I am curious if aside from conviction for a CIMT, can general behaviour that can be considered "immoral" result in green card revocation or citizenship denial?

Edited by quesquesquesques

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

From Immigrant Legal Resource Center | ILRC |

06/22/2021

A conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT) may or may not hurt an immigrant, depending on a number of factors set out in the Immigration and Nationality Act:  the number of CIMT convictions, the potential and actual sentence, when the person committed or was convicted of the offense, and the person’s immigration situation. A single CIMT conviction might cause no damage, or it might cause a variety of penalties ranging from deportability to ineligibility for relief to mandatory detention.

1 hour ago, quesquesquesques said:

Seeing as you tagged me 

Question is too vague 

what did you do that you’re worried about?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, quesquesquesques said:

I know that certain crimes/misdemeanours can result in revocation of green card and denial of N-400. These crimes are called "Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude" (CIMT). However, I am curious if aside from conviction for a CIMT, can general behaviour that can be considered "immoral" result in green card revocation or citizenship denial?

Yep. Example: being a prostitute or hiring a prostitute where prostitution is legal breaks good moral character. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.