Kai&Mac

We just applied for K-1, are we really looking at 26 months?

114 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We just applied for the K-1 Visa and our petition was sent to the California service center. The following video demonstrates a possible 26 month wait time for applications that are being sent right about now. The argument made in the video is that since more applications are coming in than are being processed, that the current "13.5 month" wait time for just USCIS processing is  only for applications that were sent 13.5 months ago. As a forecast, considering the current ratio of applications-in vs. applications-out, this is saying that it would be another 26 months or so for anyone applying now. Does this argument make sense?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

This is exactly why we advocate for applying for spousal instead - virtually same processing time, much more superior visa.

There have been several people thinking about starting over with a spousal:

Unfortunately not all of us can get married very easily. Not every situation is the same.
Also how is the backlog in Tokyo?

Timeline
Just now, powerpuff said:

I’d say Utah zoom marriage makes it very easy. But okay

I don’t think there’s a large backlog in Tokyo.

My fiancé is from a country where she has to get a bunch of stupid documents to get married, and she lives in a country that really makes it impossible to travel back to her home country and then back to where she resides now. This was especially true for the Covid-19 pandemic. And her residence country is still not technically fully open even which has effected her ability to travel back and forth. This made the K-1 fiancé visa more viable among other reasons. Of course the CR-1 visa is better but, not as attainable to everyone else. If you can do it, do it. Don't pretend like it's just that simple for everyone.

14 minutes ago, Kai&Mac said:

My fiancé is from a country where she has to get a bunch of stupid documents to get married, and she lives in a country that really makes it impossible to travel back to her home country and then back to where she resides now. This was especially true for the Covid-19 pandemic. And her residence country is still not technically fully open even which has effected her ability to travel back and forth. This made the K-1 fiancé visa more viable among other reasons. Of course the CR-1 visa is better but, not as attainable to everyone else. If you can do it, do it. Don't pretend like it's just that simple for everyone.

Spend some time looking at the Utah zoom marriage threads on this site and you'll see how people have used it to easily bypass onerous paperwork.and travel restrictions. 

Edited by Adventine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kai&Mac said:

Where is she now? Where is she from? Maybe if you told us the countries, some members from same countries could chime in and tell you what to expect/ where to get those documents.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

2 hours ago, Kai&Mac said:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Genzo10 said:

You mean 26 months for the whole process, until the interview or just for the I-129?

OP meant just for the I-129F.

Timeline

Ya the video just talks about getting NOA2, essentially do you think anything will happen in 2022 or 2023 to ease the insane backlog at USCIS for Spousal and Fiancé visas?

2 minutes ago, Nikobe said:

It is fine to be frustrated about the process, however, it is not fine to spread out panic to those who have just filed. Please be realistic. The USCIS will not let this thing to slide up to 26 months processing unless there is another pandemic I have not yet heard of. They have recently picked up speed on touched case, expect the same to happen with closed cases.

Keep your calm and calculate with at end of next year. If the USCIS does not meet any of their cycle goals by FY23 (next Sep), Congress will hold them accountable.

Thank you for your reply! I think I was more or less the one panicking when I clicked on that video. By their logic the wait times could go on indefinitely until it takes 10 years to get approved. Maybe they are just using bad math? Still though, More applications being received vs. applications being sent out is a problem that could only really cause things to worsen.

Edited by Kai&Mac

5 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

OP meant just for the I-129F.

I don't think it is possible it would be so long, i'm reading the timeline of members who got approved currently and it didn't not change since the average time is 13.5 months. I remember it's become 13.5 months in march 2022 and it's still not changed. And the goal of USCIS is to increase the time of processing I-129 to 6 months before by the end of 2023. I think the time will begin decrease in march 2023 or little before.

Timeline
Just now, Genzo10 said:

I don't think it is possible it would be so long, i'm reading the timeline of members who got approved currently and it didn't not change since the average time is 13.5 months. I remember it's become 13.5 months in march 2022 and it's still not changed. And the goal of USCIS is to increase the time of processing I-129 to 6 months before by the end of 2023. I think the time will begin decrease in march 2023 or little before.

That would be awesome. Since I plan to visit my fiancé again around March IF *Big IF* Japan finally decides to open their border and let us dangerous gaikokujin back into the country. We could take a peak at wait times then and see how things look. Ty for your input! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.