Huckleberry&Koala

N-400 Interview Having Children 3 Year Rule

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Congratulations..  What about couples who can't or DON"T WANT to have children?   I think this is extremely discriminatory.  

This was exactly what I thought and my question to him... After my interview is done, I told him "can i ask a question just out of curiosity? What if people can't have children?" he said then they're looking for other evidence, but makes it harder to evaluate. We could have been one of those couples since we didn't want any children until last year. I don't know what he would do if i didn't bring any evidence or i didn't tell him that i am pregnant.

Edited by Huckleberry&Koala

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Huckleberry&Koala said:

. When searching in Visajourney how to prove your marriage to Uscis, I always have been getting the idea that they don't really care that you have children and it is counted as a secondary evidence,  

Absolutely not my experience and I’ve commented on this before. 

My interview letter for my 5 year-based naturalization wanted birth certificates of my children and the IO even said that birth certificates are evidence of bonafide marriage, and he wanted that evidence.  

My green card was spousal based and I had been divorced for 2 years at the time of N-400 interview.

i don’t see it as discrimination. Having children is evidence of bonafide marriage as are co-mingled finances, living together, jour Costco memberships, sharing an Apple ID across devices, etc.

Not every couple does all of it. USCIS wants to see some of it.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

Haha yep, they are the heaviest of evidences but still many VJ posters refuse to believe it (Perhaps because they don't want children?).

My AoS interview was decided in literally in the first 30 seconds because of a child in marriage. 

As per IO, no one produces children just for paper marriage to seem more genuine.

Congrats!

Same here, in 2019 at My consular interview, questions were based mainly about My USC kids who were living with Me at them time. Fast forward to 3 years later, My ROC was approved without any interview, guess because I had another child with My spouse when I came to the USA and I included his birth certificate to My application, whether people believe it or not, it is the main thing to prove a bonafide relationship, reason why USCIS is strict about consummation of marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Absolutely not my experience and I’ve commented on this before. 

My interview letter for my 5 year-based naturalization wanted birth certificates of my children and the IO even said that birth certificates are evidence of bonafide marriage, and he wanted that evidence.  

My green card was spousal based and I had been divorced for 2 years at the time of N-400 interview.

i don’t see it as discrimination. Having children is evidence of bonafide marriage as are co-mingled finances, living together, jour Costco memberships, sharing an Apple ID across devices, etc.

Not every couple does all of it. USCIS wants to see some of it.  

He even made fun of the other evidences I submitted. I had submitted insurance cards to show both financial commingling and residency,  bank account, Id cards to show residency, some bills to show residency, and plane tickets just to show my trips due to its being citizenship interview. He was just like "I was looking at what has been submitted, I don't care about insurance cards or tickets, bank account is ok but not enough"... Considering officer was not friendly, and did not even look at my face or say even a good morning to me whereas I hear other officers welcome everyone in the waiting room in a very friendly way makes me now think that IO I encountered could have been one of a kind 😅

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

25 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Umm, not true. Baby-trapping certainly does happen.

One could think of this the other way around as well. Spouse trapping, where USC wants a child but immigrant doesn’t. It would cast a doubt on the immigrant’s intentions in the IO’s mind.

At the end whether VJ posters believe it or not, USCIS looks much more favorably at couples with children. 

3 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

One could think of this the other way around as well. Spouse trapping, where USC wants a child but immigrant doesn’t. It would cast a doubt on the immigrant’s intentions in the IO’s mind.

At the end whether VJ posters believe it or not, USCIS looks much more favorably at couples with children. 

And where are the statistics that prove that USCIS looks more favorably on couples with children? If that were the case, why was I never asked about children or why I don't want to have children? Why was my process super easy, all the way until naturalization under the 3-year rule? And why were my other friends who went through this exact same process as me who also don't have children were not asked about children either and why was their process so easy then? What about the couples who DO want children but cannot due to severe medical and/or psychological issues? 

Edited by mushroomspore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.