nickymicky

Denied passport application

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I recently became US citizen. I put my Spouse last name in my Naturalization certificate. My DL is still in my maiden name. Went to apply for passport at LOCAL USPS and the agent refuse to take my application. I was told my DL also need to be in my current legal name. I thought I will be able to apply for US passport with just Naturalization certificate but thats not true. I guess I need to wait for my new updated SS card in the mail so that I can get real ID and then apply for passport after that...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Try again and this time leave your DL at home.  

Your naturalization certificate is both your photo ID and evidence of USA citizenship 

DLs are for citizens with USA birth certificates or CRBAs.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Try another post office. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

tried calling couple of post office in the area and they all gave me the same information. need certificate of naturalization and ID and in all the documents names need to match.

Your naturalization certificate serves as both ID and citizenship evidence. As per instructions on passport form   No need to present license 

i agree with other. DL is not needed to apply for passport. ur naturalization certificate is enough

do not mention anything about DL. not everyone has driving license. many many people in NYC has no DL, but they can apply for US passport. 

print this and show it to them : https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

asked them in which part its required to present DL?

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

For an in person appointment at the post office, you need to provide forms of ID and they have to match name on application.  They are using the certificate as one ID, and DL as other ID. 

Mail in your application, no issues.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

i agree with other. DL is not needed to apply for passport. ur naturalization certificate is enough

do not mention anything about DL. not everyone has driving license. many many people in NYC has no DL, but they can apply for US passport. 

print this and show it to them : https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

asked them in which part its required to present DL?

They told me they don't need DL but they need ID with my picture in it and my name should match as it is in the naturalization certificate.

Timeline
Just now, Pinkrlion said:

For an in person appointment at the post office, you need to provide forms of ID and they have to match name on application.  They are using the certificate as one ID, and DL as other ID. 

Mail in your application, no issues.  

first time passport application I don't think I can mail it myself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you do need the updated SS card  when changing your last name

and if post office doesn't do  the passport photos (ours did) u need to take 2

from the webpage above

You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

• If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true 

And you must apply in person when its your 1st US passport 

Apply in Person

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

• You are applying for your first U.S. passport

Be sure to keep a copy before u mail out the original 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
2 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Why not update your Driver's licence, just to have an easy-to-carry ID in your name?  

to get real ID  DL I need SS card with my updated name as in my naturalization certificate. went to local social security office they took my old SS card and I was told to wait 2 weeks. once I get my  social security card I need to go to DMV with my naturalization certificate and social security card then they will issue me real ID then only I can apply for passport. I think I need to wait until I receive my social security card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.