bobobobobo

How important is providing a criminal background check at the interview stage?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So one of the things I need to bring to the interview stage is a criminal record history/check indicating past criminal record, in which thankfully I have none.

But not only does it ask for it from the local police station (ottawa, canada), but it is also asking for criminal record check from my country of origin (indonesia), which i spent only 2 years as soon as I hit 16+. 

this process will be slightly convoluted since it requires for my fingerprints to be sent there somehow from the local police station.

my question is, are they very thorough during the interview stage? will there be possibly any delays if I do not have a criminal background check from my country of origin?

thank you!

You don't have everything they ask for - no visa - you get 221g until you provide all the required documents. It's not optional, it's provide it or no visa. Better figure out a way to get the document needed. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
4 minutes ago, milimelo said:

You don't have everything they ask for - no visa - you get 221g until you provide all the required documents. It's not optional, it's provide it or no visa. Better figure out a way to get the document needed. 

Haha, thanks! i'm not sure what to expect. I suppose I'll need to be as thorough as possible. Appreciate it.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 hour ago, bobobobobo said:

my question is, are they very thorough during the interview stage?

Yes.

1 hour ago, bobobobobo said:

will there be possibly any delays if I do not have a criminal background check from my country of origin?

thank you!

As said, you won't be issued a visa without the required police certificate.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
12 hours ago, bobobobobo said:

So one of the things I need to bring to the interview stage is a criminal record history/check indicating past criminal record, in which thankfully I have none.

But not only does it ask for it from the local police station (ottawa, canada), but it is also asking for criminal record check from my country of origin (indonesia), which i spent only 2 years as soon as I hit 16+. 

this process will be slightly convoluted since it requires for my fingerprints to be sent there somehow from the local police station.

my question is, are they very thorough during the interview stage? will there be possibly any delays if I do not have a criminal background check from my country of origin?

thank you!

You won't get your visa without it. My husband had to get one from a country he hadn't lived in for 15 years and they needed his fingerprints, as well, and he managed to get his. He knew someone who still lived that country who helped him out. My husband went to a local police department, where he lived at the time, they took his prints and they sent them to the proper authorities in the country in question. His friend was given permission to pick up the report and he sent it to hubby overnight. It took a little legwork, but it was totally doable.

Edited by Cathi

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Cathi said:

You won't get your visa without it. My husband had to get one from a country he hadn't lived in for 15 years and they needed his fingerprints, as well, and he managed to get his. He knew someone who still lived that country who helped him out. My husband went to a local police department, where he lived at the time, they took his prints and they sent them to the proper authorities in the country in question. His friend was given permission to pick up the report and he sent it to hubby overnight. It took a little legwork, but it was totally doable.

Hey thank you, it's relieving hearing of someone else who went through the same exact thing, lol. currently i've only emailed my local police record checking services whether I'd be allowed to register my fingerprints for that purpose.

Not to mention after that, it needs to be translated ... so many things.  haha... 😁 unfortunately I found this detail shortly before NOA2 was received so this has to be done ASAP

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, bobobobobo said:

Hey thank you, it's relieving hearing of someone else who went through the same exact thing, lol. currently i've only emailed my local police record checking services whether I'd be allowed to register my fingerprints for that purpose.

Not to mention after that, it needs to be translated ... so many things.  haha... 😁 unfortunately I found this detail shortly before NOA2 was received so this has to be done ASAP

You'll be OK. Might take a little work, but you'll get it. Hubby had to do the whole translation thing for all of his documents, as well. Best of luck in your journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

FD-1164 is the fingerprint cards you need to have done. They are pretty much the standard in use around the world. You can usually get them done at your local police station and have them signed off on so to speak, then mail them wherever they need to go. Some countries have come around to allowing electronic fingerprints to be submitted for authorized agencies. Here in the US we have places like Identi-GO, and other places that are authorized to capture and send them electronically. Doubt Indonesia is that high tech, but worth checking, but the old school fingerprint cards should be acceptable.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

Hey there,

Unless they revise the police record requirement since 2017, I don’t believe US embassy require you to get a police record / clearance from certain countries and Indonesia is included in this list. Not sure why, probably because you can easily pay a fee for such record without anyone having to actually check it thoroughly. 

i didn’t submit any police record from Indonesia, I lived there until the age of 18, and then again between the age 23-25. check the visa requirement from the us embassy website or contact the jakarta embassy. 

Best of luck!!

j/g

38 minutes ago, J/G said:

Hey there,

Unless they revise the police record requirement since 2017, I don’t believe US embassy require you to get a police record / clearance from certain countries and Indonesia is included in this list. Not sure why, probably because you can easily pay a fee for such record without anyone having to actually check it thoroughly. 

i didn’t submit any police record from Indonesia, I lived there until the age of 18, and then again between the age 23-25. check the visa requirement from the us embassy website or contact the jakarta embassy. 

Best of luck!!

j/g

This is accurate. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Indonesia.html 
DoS reciprocity tables for Indonesia state

Police Records

Unavailable for applicants inside and outside Indonesia. Indonesian police certificates require initial processing at a local or village level, which is nonstandard in nature, can be subject to capricious decisions by officials and may require nonofficial payments to proceed further."

Timeline
1 hour ago, J/G said:

Hey there,

Best of luck!!

j/g

Thank you,  glad to hear someone in the same boat as me. That's reassuring -- I'm in the process of getting the things needed for it (I just need the fingerprints left), and then getting it translated. Since I have everything in place I'm just going to do it anyway just in case, easier for me since I still have family there. :) It's always better safe than sorry in the immigration process am I right? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, bobobobobo said:

Thank you,  glad to hear someone in the same boat as me. That's reassuring -- I'm in the process of getting the things needed for it (I just need the fingerprints left), and then getting it translated. Since I have everything in place I'm just going to do it anyway just in case, easier for me since I still have family there. :) It's always better safe than sorry in the immigration process am I right? 

Great. Even for translation I did all myself and attached a letter attesting that what I translated from Bahasa to English is correct and to the best of my ability. I did not have any issue. 

good luck. What you’re going through is only the beginning of the k1 journey. It’ll be long and winding but be patient. And this forum always offer the best solutions. 

God Luck. 
j/g

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, SusieQQQ said:

This is accurate. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Indonesia.html 
DoS reciprocity tables for Indonesia state

Police Records

Unavailable for applicants inside and outside Indonesia. Indonesian police certificates require initial processing at a local or village level, which is nonstandard in nature, can be subject to capricious decisions by officials and may require nonofficial payments to proceed further."

Yes, this!

You don't need a police clearance from Indonesia since there are corruption involved in getting it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.