oat12

Worried and scared... Abusive spouse threatening to call USCIS

79 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, oat12 said:

I would just like to update and say that my ex has emailed me again today with a written report that he will be submitting to USCIS. The report is all hearsay and I am happy to paste it here for any of you who would like to read his claims and advise me accordingly.

I would like to note once more that I entered the relationship in good faith and obtained the visa in good faith. If my ex had worked on his abusive tendencies, we would still be together today.

No need to post any of this, you don’t have to prove anything!
As long as he doesn’t have written proof of you stating anything like being in this marriage just to obtain a green card, he has nothing! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

1 hour ago, Daphne K said:

No need to post any of this, you don’t have to prove anything!
As long as he doesn’t have written proof of you stating anything like being in this marriage just to obtain a green card, he has nothing! 

Thank you :)

In a nutshell, he will be emailing them to tell them that he made me aware of how he didn't want to continue with our visa application (prior to the interview) but sent me updated financial documents and an updated i864 because he feels he was duped into it.

Of course, this is ridiculous and he sent me all the necessary documents on his own accord. I did not force him to do it. The day of the interview he was very supportive but immediately after he flew into a rage over something very personal that I cannot disclose here.

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Worried and scared... Abusive spouse threatening to call USCIS
On 7/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, oat12 said:

He dumped me after my approval. I didn’t ask for the relationship to end. He did. And even after I begged, he refused to be with me. Until a few weeks later when he tried to take me back and I told him no. 

I wanted to keep going for him but the things he did towards the end were unforgivable. They were inexcusable actions after years of me making excuses. 

Now it's coming out bit by bit. If you pour it out completely like you jist did, you will have the best answer you need from this platform.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, Family said:

I do hope I am allowed to disagree with judgment of “ tone in this thread” and allegations of failure by mods to rightfully sanction or move post to where it can be “ moderated to support victims of abuse rather than interrogate them”. 

OP began by stating “ OPTICS” don’t look good and Immigration can be “ RUTHLESS “. 
I could be wrong but so far none of the posters engaged in “ unacceptable “ behavior of questioning OP’s “ abuse claim”..rather engaging in the “ optics “ query…some even labeled as misogynistic for offering a version of such optical illusions possible. 

Me, I always fight for the underdog as my new Nigerian Hero @Josh or can attest to…I hope, cause I did grill him too! Lol 

This platform from my observation, is a place where if you come with a complete  story, no matter how true or false it looks how bad or good it looks. you may get a lot of critics and you will also have accurate answers to your situation. But when you start off with partial and incomplete post, you give room for people to say terrible things. You see later on when op starts releasing the complete story , help start flowing in, ideas starts coming in. Majority of people here are immigrants and our goal is to see everyone strives and complete their immigration journey  successfully. While I don't agree to any judgmental tone , I also advise future  posters to state complete story from the initial post to avoid bumps and get good and quality help. My thoughts 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 7/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, oat12 said:

I have the i551 stamp in my passport. I changed the address of where the green card was being sent but I have not yet received the physical card yet.

The physical green card can be monitored and you can safely receive it. Be sure that you have paid the Green Card processing fee of $220 before or after arrival. If already done before entering the U.S. then its arrival will be soon. It takes about 4-6 weeks.

1. Firstly monitor its issuance from the USCIS case status online page. Once USCIS says "Card Mailed to Me", it may take 3-5 days for the card to arrive the old address. Sorry USCIS often fail to use the new address on the AR-11 change of address form. It is a constant error on their part.

2. Register with USPS immediately activate "Informed Delivery". Monitor all your mails. Particularly, Monitor the green card (GC) and click for USPS to "Keep on Hold" at the post office on arrival.

3. Now this is very important: Immediately visit the USPS of your zip code and pick your GC parcel personally. 

4. USPS may not redirect the green card mail. But they will keep on hold once you are registered with them.

Edited by Joey007

Read this post to see how people respond to the USC when they post about this situation:

@oat12 your husband (soon to be EX) probably can't impact your LPR status at all. Get permission to leave the country for up to 2 years (don't leave until you've completed biometrics). Return when you are ready to start your life in the US. File for citizenship after 5 years living in the US. Becoming a citizen at the 5 year mark doesn't require you provide any evidence of the marriage to the USC so you're more than likely in the clear.

I'm so sorry your visa journey has been fraught with challenges and I hope your mother has a speedy recovery. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
7 hours ago, Joey007 said:

Register with USPS immediately activate "Informed Delivery". Monitor all your mails. Particularly, Monitor the green card (GC) and click for USPS to "Keep on Hold" at the post office on arrival.

3. Now this is very important: Immediately visit the USPS of your zip code and pick your GC parcel personally.

Not a good idea. Best is to just let usps deliver the GC to the address provided at POE. As a fresh immigrant she won't have a photo ID showing the current address and USPS won't just hand it over to someone who comes to pick up the package without any ID showing the address.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

3 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

Read this post to see how people respond to the USC when they post about this situation:

@oat12 your husband (soon to be EX) probably can't impact your LPR status at all. Get permission to leave the country for up to 2 years (don't leave until you've completed biometrics). Return when you are ready to start your life in the US. File for citizenship after 5 years living in the US. Becoming a citizen at the 5 year mark doesn't require you provide any evidence of the marriage to the USC so you're more than likely in the clear.

I'm so sorry your visa journey has been fraught with challenges and I hope your mother has a speedy recovery. 

I filed the re entry and returned to the UK. My plan is to go back when they need my biometrics, is this allowed?

1 hour ago, oat12 said:

I filed the re entry and returned to the UK. My plan is to go back when they need my biometrics, is this allowed?

You can read the pamphlet about applying for re-entry permits here:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf

If I file Form I-131 for a reentry permit while I am in the United States, can I submit my biometrics while I am outside the United States?

No. When you file your Form I-131 to obtain a reentry permit, USCIS will notify you when to appear at a designated Application Support Center (ASC) to obtain your biometrics. You must provide your biometrics at the ASC while you are in the United States. If you leave the United States before you provide your biometrics, USCIS may deny your application.

You might be good but you might have a problem. I'll let others weigh in on the matter. 

2 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

You can read the pamphlet about applying for re-entry permits here:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf

If I file Form I-131 for a reentry permit while I am in the United States, can I submit my biometrics while I am outside the United States?

No. When you file your Form I-131 to obtain a reentry permit, USCIS will notify you when to appear at a designated Application Support Center (ASC) to obtain your biometrics. You must provide your biometrics at the ASC while you are in the United States. If you leave the United States before you provide your biometrics, USCIS may deny your application.

You might be good but you might have a problem. I'll let others weigh in on the matter. 

I assumed that this meant leaving permanently for the long term trip. I will absolutely pay for another flight and return for when they need my biometrics. 

Can anyone else please provide some insight? Thank you so much.

4 minutes ago, oat12 said:

I assumed that this meant leaving permanently for the long term trip. I will absolutely pay for another flight and return for when they need my biometrics. 

Can anyone else please provide some insight? Thank you so much.

But, they don't know this isn't your long trip...  

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 hours ago, oat12 said:

52 minutes ago, oat12 said:

I understand, that makes a lot of sense. 

Can anyone else advise? I’m worried about my re entry application. 

Thank you.

If they schedule biometric appointment in less than 180 days from the day you departed, you won't have any issues at all. If you are coming for biometrics 9 months from now, you could run into issue at POE but could still enter US.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.