36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

I have heard this way too many times, a USC flexing muscles over an immigrant they initially brought here (my first hand experience), if the immigrant doesn't follow their orders. So has USCIS, which is why they have put protections in place for those innocent immigrants as well as punishments for abusive ones. Let them figure it out but if you feel strongly about it, you can write to them explaining how she used you. Rest assured she will be grilled and decision awarded properly if found guilty with lack of marital evidence. 

In the OP's case the immigrant is the one who abandoned the spouse- "I have been abandoned by my wife who is the green card holder."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

By the way, a divorce does not change the obligations associated with an I-864.   

Is it even that enforceable? From what I've been researching, it looks like a major headache to enforce an I-864 anyway.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

Is it even that enforceable? From what I've been researching, it looks like a major headache to enforce an I-864 anyway.

Yes, it is enforceable.  It has been used in divorce cases. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1st she has a good job/  let her work and do her own ROC

BTW if she makes more money and wants a divorce,  let her do the paperwork and pay a lawyer /just don't sign divorce papers  if she is asking for spousal support

Doesn't sound like anyone will enforce a I 864 if she has a good job and doesn't use government funds to live on

let her naturalize after 5 years and you are off the hook

and is her name also on the apartment lease ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why waste any more time on her? She already wasted several years of your life, don't volunteer to give her more of your time by trying to do some revenge thing. If you somehow could get her deported, would it really change anything? Cut your losses, cut contact with her and move on with your life ASAP.

Is her name on the Lease for your apartment? If so, she surely has an obligation to pay rent. My Landlord uses an online portal that allows tenants to pay specific amounts when the rent is due - this is so that roommates can pay their share without needing to transfer money to the other tenant.

If this is the case for you - and you are both on the lease - I would just pay half of the rent and instruct the Landlord to go after her for the balance. 

Also, forget the revenge plot, it's just not worth it and it won't work - you don't get to determine whether an Immigrant is here legally or not.

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

In the OP's case the immigrant is the one who abandoned the spouse- "I have been abandoned by my wife who is the green card holder."

Well there are atleast two sides to every story. Either ways instead of passing any judgement, I have laid out to him possible steps to let the actual judge decide the outcome.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Ian88 said:

If this is the case for you - and you are both on the lease - I would just pay half of the rent and instruct the Landlord to go after her for the balance.

That will not work.....All tenants are normally liable for the entire amount of rent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the following site should be read/  it is ICE -the originization u would report a frudentent marriage to

https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/marriageFraudBrochure.pdf

Types of Marriage Fraud-note the 3rd

A foreign national defrauds a U.S. citizen who believes the marriage is legitimate.

Now note the following from the site 

Penalties

An individual will be charged with marriage fraud if they entered into a marriage for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration law. This felony offense carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000, and applies to both foreign nationals and U.S. citizens who perpetrate this crime.

37 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Seriously? Or maybe they feel used and abandoned. You do not know the relationship or circumstances so you really shouldn't judge...

I didnt judge, I gave my own account of experience and a reality check which USCIS practices. Perhaps you should listen to both sides (if a situation allows) before forming a biased opinion. 

How do you know this account of abandonment is 100% legit? Speak of being judgmental....

Edited by Mobius1

11 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

I didnt judge, I gave own my account of experience and a reality check which USCIS practices. Perhaps you should listen to both sides before forming a biased opinion. 

You said "I have heard THIS" in preface to your response to his post. Maybe it's not how you meant to phrase it, but as written it is judging the OP. It wasn't a biased opinion just a literal interpretation of what you wrote.

I did not judge either way, I said "maybe" they feel

Edited by RO_AH

9 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

You said "I have heard THIS" in preface to your response to his post. Maybe it's not how you meant to phrase it, but as written it is judging the OP. It wasn't a biased opinion just a literal interpretation of what you wrote.

I did not judge either way, I said "maybe" they feel

While I could negate what you say, I don't feel its worth it to argue. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
9 hours ago, bullettandmo said:

if i cant get her deported. Then can i file for spousal support as part of the divorce.  since i now am going to be living in a standard below what i was living. she made almost triple what i made. 

That's a divorce issue, not an immigration issue. Bring it up with your divorce attorney.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

That will not work.....All tenants are normally liable for the entire amount of rent.

Yeah you're right - I very lazily made the comment then looked it up - unfortunate situation; a part of me would be tempted to not pay any of it and have the Landlord come after us both, but then you just make a rod for your own back. Maybe the OP could look for a roommate? Assuming it's two bedroom of course.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.