Marv79

Britsh father to US citizen

10 posts in this topic

Hello.. 

I am a British national and father to a 1 year old with American citizenship. The babies mom is an American citizen, we are not married, nor planning on doing so. 

We currently all live in Vietnam but are considering taking the baby to the US to be closer to the moms family etc. 

As a British national and non US citizen, what are my options on going to the US to help my son grow up? 

Any/all help appreciated.. thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

16 minutes ago, Marv79 said:

As a British national and non US citizen, what are my options on going to the US to help my son grow up? 

If you like it or not but getting married would be the first step. Your future wife could then apply for an immigration visa for you. Unless you're pretty rich and qualify for an investor visa or you can find an employer that sponsors you for a work visa with the option of sponsoring you for a greencard in the future that's the best and only option for living in the US long term. 

57 minutes ago, Marv79 said:

Hello.. 

I am a British national and father to a 1 year old with American citizenship. The babies mom is an American citizen, we are not married, nor planning on doing so. 

We currently all live in Vietnam but are considering taking the baby to the US to be closer to the moms family etc. 

Your options being an British national are the same that everyone else. To live here you need a resident visa. @Letspaintcookies give you some good options, and IMO those are some options: CR1 (Married one), EB-5 (investors) if you have a business and want to invest ateou 500k to 1M or DV (visa Lottery).

Having a US kid will not help you until here is 21 and ready to apply for you but this probably is not your goal. 

Good luck 

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

4 hours ago, Marv79 said:

Hello.. 

The only way you will realistically be able to live in the US and be part of your son's life growing up, is if his USC mother marries you and petitions you for a spousal visa.  This process takes about two years.

Your son cannot petition you for a green card until he is 21.

You cannot come over on ESTA and stay.  That is fraud.

11 hours ago, Marv79 said:

Hello.. 

Unfortunately staying in the US to raise a kid isn't something you can do easily unless you are an LPR or have a work visa. 

ESTA only allows you to stay 90 days at a time. And while you are in the US you are not allowed to work.

You should also stay outside the US more than staying inside.... 

If you and the mother are not interested in marrying because you are no longer together. You will have to investigate the avenues suggested by @Chancy

If you and the mother do not want to get married for personal reasons (you don't believe in marriage/ you don't want a government interfering with your life) I strongly suggest you reconsider. If you marry your partner she will be able to petition you for permanent residency... this will allow you to work, live and raise your child in the US. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In addition to what everyone else said, I assume the son's mother registered his birth abroad - CRBA?  If not, she will need to do so in order to get a passport for him.

Unless you get married, it's very difficult.

In addition to the other options people have given, if you are currently working for a multinational company with US presence, they can transfer you to the US with an L1 visa.

If you have a good career + education + work experience, but it's really hard unless you are a software engineer with some contacts or something like that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.