Alchanphel

How long is typical wait between Green Card interview, approval, and receiving actual Card?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a September 2021 AOS filer (marriage via k-1), and our Green Card interview is scheduled for early July at Newark, NJ. I already have EAD but no AP.

As the topic title says - is there any guidance on how long the typical wait is between the interview, approval, and receiving the Green Card itself in the mail?

We are hoping to travel internationally 21 days after the interview - is this feasible?

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Alchanphel said:

Hi all,

I'm a September 2021 AOS filer (marriage via k-1), and our Green Card interview is scheduled for early July at Newark, NJ. I already have EAD but no AP.

As the topic title says - is there any guidance on how long the typical wait is between the interview, approval, and receiving the Green Card itself in the mail?

We are hoping to travel internationally 21 days after the interview - is this feasible?

Thanks in advance!

I’m in a similar boat to you. Hoping to travel shortly after my interview (which is next week).

Looking at the AoS forums it seems there’s not a hard and fast rule as each case differs. However there are plenty of examples of people who get their GC within 21 days of the interview.

Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Alchanphel said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

2 weeks end to end is typical.  

If you don’t have the green card in hand in 21 days travel on Advance Parole. But I see you don’t have that yet.  

At the interview ask for an I-551 stamp if they say you are approved.  You never know.  

Edited by Mike E

Nothing is typical. 

GC can take up to 120 days before you are eligible to place an enquiry.

Thanks all for your replies - very helpful!

It seems like all we can do is ensure we are prepared and have all documents at hand, to maximize the chances of being approved on the spot.

2 hours ago, AW1704 said:

I’m in a similar boat to you. Hoping to travel shortly after my interview (which is next week).

Looking at the AoS forums it seems there’s not a hard and fast rule as each case differs. However there are plenty of examples of people who get their GC within 21 days of the interview.

Best of luck!

Good luck with your interview next week - do check back in and let us know how it went!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Took exactly one week from interview to card in hand for my wife. Back in Feb. 2019. When IO said you will have the card in a week, I almost laughed out loud, but he was right on, had it in exactly a week. Actually on the way home from the interview I received the text message you new card is being produced, only like 2 hours after the actual interview.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

interview yesterday, this morning i get an email to say action was taken on my account, i login to uscis website but nothing has changed on there. so, hopefully, not long?

It really depends. Everyone is different. We got ours about 10 days after the interview. We were told at the interview that we were going to get approved, but they technically don't approve you on the spot. But our tracker on the website updated a few hours later to tell us we were approved. But this isn't the case for everyone. Good luck!

I got my card after a couple of weeks in the mail... so not too long of a wait.

During the interview the IO told me, my EAD won't be valid anymore because he approves my green card. But I was supposed to start my new job a few days later and needed it because the employer wanted a copy.

So, they put the I-551 stamp in my passport. Maybe you could ask, if you could get one too... just so you can travel internationally. It's at least worth asking.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 5/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, Alchanphel said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I had my interview April 5th and have heard nothing back yet.. 

• 1 month later...

On 5/19/2022 at 2:44 PM, MissOphelia said:

I had my interview April 5th and have heard nothing back yet.. 

Any updates?

On 5/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, Alchanphel said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Any updates? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.