Viking

Interview day 2 Days before 2 year Marriage Anniversary

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

😀 interview scheduled 😀 

called USCIS- they advised me of interview date mid March - 2 days before our 2 Year Marriage date  😳 

- I would love NOT to have to go through the removal of conditions after our last two years experience with USCIS - trust everyone here will agree with that.

will it be wise to ask the Immigration Officer to hold off 2 days before approval???

anyone been through a similar situation???? 

You could NOT bring evidence to the interview, they could issue an RFE and that would delay approval. 

I'm honestly not sure if that would be actually risky; perhaps wouldn't work at all. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You could NOT bring evidence to the interview, they could issue an RFE and that would delay approval. 

I'm honestly not sure if that would be actually risky; perhaps wouldn't work at all. 

Thank you - perhaps a risky approach - but it would possibly work.

We could also ask for a delay in date for interview and then face many months delay - so that’s NO viable solution for us..

46 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thank you - perhaps a risky approach - but it would possibly work.

We could also ask for a delay in date for interview and then face many months delay - so that’s NO viable solution for us..

Rescheduling would actually be very risky.

Probably your idea of asking the interviewing agent to delay the decision is the most doable less risky option.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Rescheduling would actually be very risky.

Probably your idea of asking the interviewing agent to delay the decision is the most doable less risky option.

I think you are right.. Rescheduling is not an option. Nor is showing up unprepared to hope for an RFI -

i will ask if they can ensure the approval will be done a day or two later…

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 hours ago, Viking said:

😀 interview scheduled 😀 

called USCIS- they advised me of interview date mid March - 2 days before our 2 Year Marriage date  😳 

- I would love NOT to have to go through the removal of conditions after our last two years experience with USCIS - trust everyone here will agree with that.

will it be wise to ask the Immigration Officer to hold off 2 days before approval???

anyone been through a similar situation???? 

We were approved 11 days after we interviewed and the green card was back dated to day of interview.  Your IO will be under pressure to approve you in 1 day or less.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We were approved 11 days after we interviewed and the green card was back dated to day of interview.  Your IO will be under pressure to approve you in 1 day or less.

Thank you for sharing your experience-

So if I understand you correctly- they will probably backdate the date to day of interview- which for us is 2 days short of our anniversary and 2 year requirement for a 10 year GC 

lets see if they can do anything about it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Viking said:

Thank you for sharing your experience-

So if I understand you correctly- they will probably backdate the date to day of interview- which for us is 2 days short of our anniversary and 2 year requirement for a 10 year GC 

lets see if they can do anything about it

If you get notified of approval on or after your 2 year wedding anniversary and you get a 2 year green card, you have have an easy case to force USCIS to give you a 10 year green card.  

We didn’t demand a corrected “resident since” date since it would still mean a 2 year green card and thus this way we are 10 days closer to being able to file N-400.  

So I don’t think you be approved 2 or more days after your interview.  

Instead I expect “card is in production” by the time you leave the parking lot.  

Either way it is a win for you.  Some people get told “congratulations” at the interview and a year later no green card and no formal approval.  I simply don’t see that happening to you because I think USCIS will make it a priority to deny you a 10 year green card. 

Why not reschedule the interview? People reschedule for many reasons. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

34 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Go to the interview and be prepared to file for ROC.  Maybe you will get lucky and get a 10 years card.

Do you really want to pull any funny business with USCIS by trying for an RFE or postponing til whenever to get a new interview appointment.

Take what you have in your hands and be grateful.  Why take stupid risks just to avoid ROC?  Not worth it. 

I'm thinking the same thing!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Granted this was 2019, so before Covid, but we rescheduled our AOS interview because we were going on vacation during that time and we did not want to cancel it. We were rescheduled for just three weeks later and approved the day of our interview. Just throwing that out there..

Timeline

Thank you for all the good Inputs and for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

We do not want to risk our AOS situation - the price is too high - as my EAD extension is running out a few days before the interview - we are further limited in our choices.

I will ask the Adjudicating Officer for consideration to ensure the Approval date will be in coexistence with our anniversary.

afterall - a GC is A GC 2 or 10 years validity is more of a nuisance question at this stage.

my patience and appetite for dealing with another process with USCIS have been worn thin - but I welcome the fact that an process exists for us and we remain Greatful for that -

keep fingers crossed for us please- I will update you all here after the Interview.

thank you all….

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This was back in 2005 but my sister's interview was about a week before their 2nd marriage anniversary. Their interviewing officer noticed that and told them that he was not going to approve them on that day because if he did, she would get a conditional green card which would not be fair. He asked them to submit an additional document (I don't recall what it was) and their approval came about 2 weeks later. My suggestion would be to bring it up with the officer. Good luck. Pls don't forget to come back and update us. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.