Rocio0010

What to do if your SSA office is closed and you need a SSN

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

To add to the above, the US law that requires LPRs to carry proof of immigration status, termed "certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt", is (INA) § 264(e) - Immigration and Nationality Act.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1304&num=0&edition=prelim

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Thank you, this is very useful. I've asked the mods to consider making your post a sticky so that people can easily find it :)

Thank you! It’s just that I’ve dealt with this stuff long enough to realize that just because USCIS and SS are both federal agencies, one necessarily knows about the other.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, ra0010 said:

Thank you! It’s just that I’ve dealt with this stuff long enough to realize that just because USCIS and SS are both federal agencies, one necessarily knows about the other.

Thank you for making this post so that we can have this useful information in one place.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ra0010 said:

Meant to say they do NOT know how the other agency works!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Before contacting a congress person one can also contact SSA per email on their website. This won't go to the local office but to the main SSA office and they can reach out to your local office to get an appointment scheduled. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 1:37 PM, Letspaintcookies said:

Before contacting a congress person one can also contact SSA per email on their website. This won't go to the local office but to the main SSA office and they can reach out to your local office to get an appointment scheduled. 

I agree with this as I have done just that today. After trying to reach my local SSA office  for 2 hours and getting disconnected Every. Single. Time. I was understandably very frustrated. I called the main 1 (800) number and after being on hold for 40 minutes I managed to get a hold of a representative. At first, she told me I can mail my documents to which I said "No thanks" and explained that i have to have my GC on me at all times. Then, she tried to tell me that she cannot schedule an appointment for me and I have to keep trying the local office. I told her it's impossible to if I get disconnected every time. I asked to please reach out the local office and ask what is happening there. She did and after she spoke with them while I was on hold, she told me my appointment is March 10. To anyone trying to do the same, be very persistent!!! ;)

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 10:13 AM, powerpuff said:

I agree with this as I have done just that today. After trying to reach my local SSA office  for 2 hours and getting disconnected Every. Single. Time. I was understandably very frustrated. I called the main 1 (800) number and after being on hold for 40 minutes I managed to get a hold of a representative. At first, she told me I can mail my documents to which I said "No thanks" and explained that i have to have my GC on me at all times. Then, she tried to tell me that she cannot schedule an appointment for me and I have to keep trying the local office. I told her it's impossible to if I get disconnected every time. I asked to please reach out the local office and ask what is happening there. She did and after she spoke with them while I was on hold, she told me my appointment is March 10. To anyone trying to do the same, be very persistent!!! ;)

Yeah, try to go through the department head office before contacting  your Congressman or Senator.  You want to save contacts to Congress when all else failed.   

You should feel free to write your local congress people on issues  that interest you and the district/state but to get going on a process, it's better to work through the department first.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Treegrower said:

You want to save contacts to Congress when all else failed. 

I saw it as time- saving. I had no other way to do it than contacting my Congressman. Tried for about a month and a half without any response on my own. Contacted Congressman, had an appointment the week after.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.