Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Hope you are doing well! 

I have a question that I'm honestly so confused about.

My spouse's interview is soon, and I needed a joint sponsor for his visa, so I chose my dad. We only filled out an I-864A, not a separate I-864 for him, is that correct? Since I live with him, he's considered a household member.

Also, I read something along the lines of if the joint sponsor is married we need to include an I-864 for their spouse, so in this case would I need an I-864 for my mom, or no since technically we only filled out an I-864 from my dad, not a I-864. 

Thank you so much and I apologize for the confusion on my end! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, SoLongWaiting said:

Oh thank goodness. Would have been another stressor trying to get this done in time. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. 

I’d add my info to the tracker but I’m not sure what some of the stages correspond to, to be honest. 

Yeah I find it confusing too. I would just fill in the ones you know. I130 date, NOA1 and NOA2, case complete, interview date etc.

Hi, I thought maybe someone can help

me. I had my interview in March 2021 and was refused because of removal order due to improper documentation. So I submitted I-212 Waiver Application in May 2021 and it’s been approved as of  September 2021. I have already inquired via email. How long does it usually take them to give instructions for the next steps? 

My wife and kids had their interview today. Wife was approved, but the kids were refused pending Consular Report of Birth Abroad. I am a US citizen married to a Canadian. We have two kids that were born in Canada while I was a permanent resident of Canada.

The guy that interviewed them took my wife's passport and said for the kids, they are already American and I just need to file the CRBA in Toronto (luckily as we live in the GTA). 

Maybe I was misinformed, but it was my understanding that in order for the kids to move to the states, we had to go through the IR-1 process.

Am I completely wrong here? The entire DS-260, CEAC, process wasn't necessary for my kids and now I have to have another interview in Toronto so they can get US passports before we move?

Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks, 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Colorado bound said:

My wife and kids had their interview today. Wife was approved, but the kids were refused pending Consular Report of Birth Abroad. I am a US citizen married to a Canadian. We have two kids that were born in Canada while I was a permanent resident of Canada.

The guy that interviewed them took my wife's passport and said for the kids, they are already American and I just need to file the CRBA in Toronto (luckily as we live in the GTA). 

Maybe I was misinformed, but it was my understanding that in order for the kids to move to the states, we had to go through the IR-1 process.

Am I completely wrong here? The entire DS-260, CEAC, process wasn't necessary for my kids and now I have to have another interview in Toronto so they can get US passports before we move?

Thanks, 

A child born abroad with at least one parent who is a US citizen, is transmitted US citizenship, provided the US citizen parent has resided in the US for atleast 5 years of their life, atleast 2 of which must be when they were over 14 years old.

Reference:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/transmit-citizenship/

No green card application necessary…

Congratulations on your spouse’s approval!

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
2 hours ago, Colorado bound said:

Thanks, 

What @From_CAN_2_US said is correct. The good news is CRBA is relatively quick!

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate post removed. Please only post your question once.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

11 hours ago, Colorado bound said:

If a US citizen does not qualify to transmit US citizenship to his/her biological kids born abroad, then yes, the kids do need to go through the CR2/IR2 process to move to the US.  It seems the consul officer believes that you do actually qualify to transmit US citizenship to your kids and that they are in fact USCs since birth.  USCs are not eligible for any US visa, hence your kids were refused at the interview.

38 minutes ago, Chancy said:

If a US citizen does not qualify to transmit US citizenship to his/her biological kids born abroad, then yes, the kids do need to go through the CR2/IR2 process to move to the US.  It seems the consul officer believes that you do actually qualify to transmit US citizenship to your kids and that they are in fact USCs since birth.  USCs are not eligible for any US visa, hence your kids were refused at the interview.

Thank you all very much. 

1 hour ago, Canths said:

Hi all, just had my interview today and the officer mentioned he would be 'recommending approval'! Super fast process and took 25 minutes total (I was also the first one in). One quick question - how long till we can expect to see updates on the AIS/CEAC website(s)? 

Mine took a couple of hours

Timeline

Hi everyone -- Gloria entered the US yesterday and is now an LPR!

For those in the Vancouver area, we entered via the Abbotsford/Sumas crossing because we are bringing our pet lovebird and Sumas is the only station with a vet to do the required examination. It was absolutely stress-free compared to a busy crossing like the Peace Arch. Ours was the only car there, and the people were very nice start to finish.

A very big thanks to all of you kind folks, particularly @Hawk Riders and the other volunteers who spend so many hours of their time to help others find their way through a complicated and stressful process. You're the best! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.