namname123

Can they reject you at the interview because of paperwork

11 posts in this topic

The visa can be denied at the interview or afterwards.

But you shouldn't worry if you have everything in order: no inadmissibilities, no red flags, no negative things against your case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, namname123 said:

Can they reject your visa application at the interview because of any potential problem with the paperwork? My fiance is stressing about this and I'm trying to tell him to calm down because the paperwork was already looked at and, I think, approved by somebody.

The Consulate Officer is the sole approval authority for visas.  Yes, the CO can refuse or deny a visa based on paperwork.  Fraudulent original documents, for example, could cause serious issues.  That doesn't happen often.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

The purpose of the interview is to filter out those who are inadmissible or otherwise not qualified for the visa. So yes, denials can and do happen at the interview.

The best thing to do is to review the paperwork (entire process, really) with your fiance so that he knows your case forwards and backwards. I normally do not recommend YouTube videos for anything immigration-related, but if it makes him feel better, he can watch some sample interviews so he has a better idea of what to expect.

There's really nothing wrong in our paperwork or anything. It's just so nerve wracking after the delays we faced over 2020 and we just heard that his interview was changed to 7:30 am because they're only doing one a day now.

We will look over all our information again and prepare for the interview better. Thank you for the help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, namname123 said:

we just heard that his interview was changed to 7:30 am because they're only doing one a day now.

Did that information come directly from the consulate? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
47 minutes ago, namname123 said:

Yes. when we looked at rescheduling (because getting to frankfurt in time without staying overnight is impossible with public transit), all the appointment slots are for 7:30 am and there's only one slot per day.

Wait he's German and interviews in Frankfurt? Tell him there's nothing to worry about it. They're super nice and helpful there. Unless there's something dark in his history he's hiding there won't be no grilling or screaming at the interview or stuff like that 😉😁

He'll be fine.

They're also a bunch of hotels just around the corner that are not too expensive.

Edit: and yes, Frankfurt is one of the consulates that want to have the paperwork in order before you show up. In that case they would have let you know beforehand if something is amiss. So unless there's something that they don't like about y'all there's nothing to worry.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The officers have the right to deny because of paperwork, yes. Especially if documents are missing. When is your interview? If I were you, I would go over the papers a few days before to make sure nothing is missing. Take a break, and do a second check. I might be OCD, but sometimes it pays off.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
21 hours ago, namname123 said:

Yes. when we looked at rescheduling (because getting to frankfurt in time without staying overnight is impossible with public transit), all the appointment slots are for 7:30 am and there's only one slot per day.

What? They’re only doing one interview per day now? Oh my :( I thought things would get better with more people getting vaccinated over here.  

As it has been said, your fiancé shouldn’t stress out. Seriously. I’ve been to the consulate in Frankfurt a couple times (student visa, consular report of birth abroad, …) and it has always been smooth! 

23 hours ago, namname123 said:

FYI this doesn’t mean there is only one interview a day. Different consulate but all the immigrant visas had the same time slot on the day I interviewed - we were all 1pm. There were about 15 cases. I have heard of other consulates doing similar. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.